Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get an accounting job

Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get an accounting job

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Ethan2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get an accounting job

Can someone explain whether it's a must to complete CA or CGA to find an accounting job in Canada. I have a degree in accounting and would like to know whether that would help at all.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

skier is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get an accounting job

Originally Posted by Ethan2008
Can someone explain whether it's a must to complete CA or CGA to find an accounting job in Canada. I have a degree in accounting and would like to know whether that would help at all.
Hi,

I'd like to know about this too - I've done some digging and so far found out that even if you're CIMA qualified (or ACCA) you still need to convert which entails applying via the Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA). For this you must show you have the relevant experience (fair enough), but also that you've studied Canadian business law (not so easy unless you pay for a course or get a job with an employer who'll pay).

I've not done a degree in accountancy (mine was in an un-related field), but I'm half-way through the Managerial Level of CIMA. I thought CIMA was a global standard, but the CIMA Canada website doesn't have an awful lot of info, and no job adverts I've seen even mention CIMA... just CGA/CA/CMA etc.

Please let me know how you get on, I'd be really interested to know! I think your experience working in the accountancy field may be valid, even if they don't recognise the level of qualification... I'm hoping this is the case! I think you may be in a better position as University degrees in accountancy seem to be more highly regarded.

Good luck!

Martin.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:30 am
Duke of Africa

bryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant future

It is not a must to have a CA or CGA or even a CMA to get an accounting job in Canada. However you will agree with me that to get a high paying job and one that will enable you put your professional skills to good use, you will need one of these designations. Take a look at some of the advertised vacancies for accounting and finance related jobs in Canada which I presumed are well paying, you will notice that a Canadian accounting designation is usually a requirement. I completed the online exam (Business Taxation and Business Law) for the CGA designation in February 2009 through the ACCA MRA and I am now legally allowed to use the CGA designation as you can see on my signature. Best of luck.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with bryandavid.

No, you don't NEED a Canadian accounting designation to get a job in the accounting field. I managed it for years before I gained my CGA designation. Fortunately for me, I have worked with small companies for most of my life and they tend to be less hung up on qualifications if you can do the job at a value for money wage. I was earning 20%-30% less than I would have if I was with a larger company that would only hire a designated accountant.

Yes, you do NEED a Canadian accounting designation to get a senior or responsible position with anything other than very small companies. The job specification will say "must be CA/CGA" or more common these days "must be CA/CGA/CMA." If you don't have the designation your application will not get past the initial screening.

Law is not so much a problem, as Canadian business law is based on English common law. It is tax that is the big issue. As an accountant you are expected to ensure that your employer is compliant with all tax legislation, and advise how to structure their business operations in a tax efficient manner. Getting a Canadian accounting designation demonstrates to an employer that you have at least a minimum level of knowledge about these matters.

You will have to pay to gain this knowledge, but it is a very worthwhile investment.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Ethan2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:24 am
Banned

derick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with skier