Reload this Page >

Musician moving Amp and guitar

Musician moving Amp and guitar

Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

cbuk2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Musician moving Amp and guitar

Hi

Was wondering if anyone knew charges and details of taking a guitar and 20kg amp over to Toronto. With Airtransat probably

Ideally i would like to take my guitar on the plane as its worth over £3500 but I could put it in a soft case

any help appriciated.

chris
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of
Default Re: Musician moving Amp and guitar

Have a search on recent posts as there was a long thread about guitar shipping not long ago. I think the gyst is that you can usually take the guitar onboard but you may run into a situation where they force you to check it so you need to be prepared for that eventuality and if you 100% cannot check it you'll have to do like the violinists taking their Stadivarius and buy it its own seat. The amp they might let you check as one of your bags depending how heavy it is, otherwise you might pay a lot as amps weigh a tonne. I shipped my amp separately in a partial container along with guitars in hard cases.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

billydavieson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Sorry to change the subject but I am a musician as well and was just wondering if you have found a job as a musician?

Billy
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

$5000 guitar and its in a soft case!!!!

Buy a hard case at least, even if its only for the flight.

There was a recent thread on shipping a guitar over (in cabin in the end), as for the amp, not sure how best to protect it from abuse in the hold.. Crate it up and ship it seperately perhaps?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Not sure about the amp, but my boyfriend bought his v expensive PRS over when we came. He packed it in a hard case, then put the hard case inside a large cardboard guitar box (cadged from the local guitar shop) packed out with scrunched up newspaper. The guitar went in the hold with oversized stuff such as pushchairs, skis and golf clubs - it doesn't go under a pile of suitcases! Better off checking with the airline what their policy is on guitars.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billydavieson
Hi, Sorry to change the subject but I am a musician as well and was just wondering if you have found a job as a musician?

Billy
I imagine getting work as a musician would be difficult in any country My OH is a guitar/amp tech and he found it difficult to get work in the Canadian music industry he had to go back to europe to find decent paying jobs. Like many things in Canada it's all about who you know.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbuk2003
Hi

Was wondering if anyone knew charges and details of taking a guitar and 20kg amp over to Toronto. With Airtransat probably

Ideally i would like to take my guitar on the plane as its worth over £3500 but I could put it in a soft case

any help appriciated.

chris
Can't comment on the transport issues but you may want to consider not bringing the amp and buying a new one here due to the power supply difference. Assuming you're planning on using it for gigging & sessions, you'll end up having to either put a new 110v power supply in it or lug round a 110-240V step-up transformer with you everywhere.