Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

music ..what are you listening to at the moment ??

Wikiposts

music ..what are you listening to at the moment ??

Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: music ..what are you listening to at the moment ??

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Anyone getting Satellite radio? no commercials on there apparantly and you can get Radio 1 with Sirius
Some company in town here was recently offering $50 in-car satellite radio receivers, fitted. That vulgar belching lump Chris Moyles was promoting his show going to Sirius just before we left UK.

Rich[/QUOTE]

$50, thats a pretty good deal.

Chris Moyles, I'm supprised he's still there he was a belching lump 5 years ago when I was still lived in the UK.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:04 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]

Do they just fit into a standard sized CD-radio opening on the dash ? I have never seen the things myself. Are they already desperate to have people sign up to these ? If there's no advertising where's the revenue from, what's the whole thing all about ??? I can see the listener benfit but what about the broadcaster ?

Rich.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they just fit into a standard sized CD-radio opening on the dash ? I have never seen the things myself. Are they already desperate to have people sign up to these ? If there's no advertising where's the revenue from, what's the whole thing all about ??? I can see the listener benfit but what about the broadcaster ?

Rich.[/QUOTE]

The revenue is from the monthly fee. I think my p-i-l pay $25 (US).
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:09 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

The revenue is from the monthly fee. I think my p-i-l pay $25 (US).[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks I see now, you pay for the privelidge of not being brainwashed every 2.3 minutes

Rich
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah thanks I see now, you pay for the privelidge of not being brainwashed every 2.3 minutes

Rich
That $25 might include Onstar and navigation as well as the radio. Otherwise it seems a lot.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

The revenue is from the monthly fee. I think my p-i-l pay $25 (US).

Rich[/QUOTE]

There are two broadcasters XM Radio and Sirius. Sirius is better in my opinion they have Radio 1 and play live Premiership games. The subscription is $14.99 for 100 channels, there web site is www.siriuscanada.com.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:19 am
Lotus-eater

Thanks for the info Wayner.

Rich.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I've never listened to Chris Moyles (I'm so old, never heard of half the things you hip young dudes are listening to on this thread) - but I did notice his podcast is available free on iTunes if you're missing your fix (and probably also from various other places too for Apple-dislikers ).

Sirius sounded interesting, I'd have got digital radio if we'd stayed in the UK (it was okay on cable/satellite but I couldn't take that in the bath), but I just can't bring myself to pay a monthly fee for it

Is the Canada line-up the same as Sirius US, anyone know? Edit: just seen Wayner's link.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Dec 13th 2005 at 4:35 am.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:54 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've never listened to Chris Moyles (I'm so old, never heard of half the things you hip young dudes are listening to on this thread) - but I did notice his podcast is available free on iTunes if you're missing your fix (and probably also from various other places too for Apple-dislikers ).

Sirius sounded interesting, I'd have got digital radio if we'd stayed in the UK (it was okay on cable/satellite but I couldn't take that in the bath), but I just can't bring myself to pay a monthly fee for it

Is the Canada line-up the same as Sirius US, anyone know? Edit: just seen Wayner's link.
Ands so are the Ricky Gervais ones...just listened to the first episode and laughed out loud..... a lot !
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Ands so are the Ricky Gervais ones...just listened to the first episode and laughed out loud..... a lot !

Yes!!! One is funnier than two, but still laughed out loud. Who is that Karl guy, I haven't heard of him (but that's not saying much). Is he really that stupid or is that genius acting?

Don't know if you've got a colour iPod but did you see the icons change - when they were talking about Bod a little Bod pic popped up, same for Monkey News etc. Thought that was cute
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Green Day - American Idiot
Green Day - Bullet in a Bible
Will Young
Robbie Williams
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Rammstein - Rosenrot
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Tragically Hip - Yer Favorites
Tea Party - Tangents
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

our top 5 these days are:

Lemon Jelly
Alabama 3
Bell X 1
Paul Weller
Nick Cave

also love the Coral and Calexico

The one thing that worries me abou Canada is all that 'soft rock' and 'easy listening'. Keeping in touch with decent music will be a top priority!

SQ
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:44 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Lemon Jelly
Alabama 3
Bell X 1
Paul Weller
Nick Cave

also love the Coral and Calexico

The one thing that worries me abou Canada is all that 'soft rock' and 'easy listening'. Keeping in touch with decent music will be a top priority!
Nice eclectic mix.... L-J "Ducks" album is v mellow :-)

Good music is around, the underground music thing is less obvious here and somewhat removed from its source (apart from Ontario which is home to indie labels carrying some awesome alt music of many kinds) but is accessible to those with dedication and a bit of effort just prepare to fight the bland numbing brainwashing that is AOR radio/TV.

http://www.cstrecords.com/html/menu.html
is Quebec based, and Kranky http://kranky.net/ is US based (Chicago) but has a fair few Canadian bands signed, this site is decent too http://brainwashed.com/ which PR's some Canadian bands.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Dec 13th 2005 at 8:59 am.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

PROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant future

1. X&Y - The wife & I are in the video for Fix You!
2. Hard Fi - Stars of C C TV
3. Kaiser Chiefs - They are from Leeds as well so a big up
4. Killers - Hot Fuss (Only decent American Band)
5. Anything by Royksoppm - A perfect sound for the Air Ride

Happy xmas all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.