Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

music ..what are you listening to at the moment ??

Wikiposts

music ..what are you listening to at the moment ??

Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

helcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: music ..what are you listening to at the moment ??

Is normal radio that bad? I do listen to Virgin/BBC/Capital quite a lot. Are the commercials on radio as lengthy and frequent as their TV? At least with Virgin the commercials don't seem to be on all the time like some of the local radio stations around here. Of course I'll be listening for the next few nights and will have an answer anyway!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In the car:

John Prine, In Spite of Ourselves
Ibiza, History of House, Vol III
Tori Amos, Little Earthquakes
Pretenders, Greatest
Ska Sampler including My Boy Lollipop
Graham Parker, Squeezing Out Sparks

At home we tend to alternate between Dance Hits 94 and Edith Piaf depending on whether we want to crank up the autistic daughter or put her to sleep.

All of the above on CD. I have to venture out this week to look for records for Christmas presents. Last year I found a star shaped Wayne Newton picture disk, that'll be hard to beat for novelty.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcol
Is normal radio that bad? I do listen to Virgin/BBC/Capital quite a lot. Are the commercials on radio as lengthy and frequent as their TV? At least with Virgin the commercials don't seem to be on all the time like some of the local radio stations around here. Of course I'll be listening for the next few nights and will have an answer anyway!
If I tune to the dance station, z103, I can usually drive home from work, thirty minutes, without hearing a record. There's only adverts. Radio and television here are remarkably bad.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

helcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If I tune to the dance station, z103, I can usually drive home from work, thirty minutes, without hearing a record. There's only adverts. Radio and television here are remarkably bad.
30 minutes without any music, and mostly adverts Yep, guessing it'll be CD's in the car then.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by helcol
30 minutes without any music, and mostly adverts Yep, guessing it'll be CD's in the car then.
A popular music format here is "classic rock". If you scan the stations you have a better than 50% chance of hearing Led Zeppelin. There's a legal requirement than stations play a certain amount of Canadian content but, of course, there aren't many Canadian acts so they play Bryan Adams and Shania Twain and Celine Dion over and over. We can get plenty of US stations which are free of those particular dreadful noises but the choice is country, Led Zeppelin or dance/urban with many adverts.

Of course, there's always the evangelical radio and TV stations....
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:44 am
Just Joined

lizmackay is an unknown quantity at this point

My favourites are Robbie Williams and James Blunt
If I feel like a change I listen to Il Divo.

Liz
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:03 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
At home we tend to alternate between Dance Hits 94 and Edith Piaf depending on whether we want to crank up the autistic daughter or put her to sleep.
That's interesting. My missus also gets cranked up on Piaf.

Otherwise, we tend to listen to what comes to hand first. That could be Barenakeds, Great Big Sea (very loudly), Tom Jones (Reload), Lousiana Blues (various artists), Good Morning Vietnam, Carmina Burana, Pachelbel or Abba.

What The Boy listens to is not immediately recognisable as music in any conventional sense of the word but apparently it's really good and I'm just old.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That's interesting. My missus also gets cranked up on Piaf.
Piaf, Leonard Cohen, Hank Williams, Smiths, Miles Davis calm her. Basically anything that makes the rest us want to dive under a bus.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Ashamed to say it's a Christmas playlist for me at the moment...keeps the kid happy. Usually it's showtunes. Is that any better?!

And how come so many carols are *completely* different here anyway? (Oh Little Town of Bethlehem, Away in a Manger, It Came Upon the Midnight Clear to name but a few that are totally unrecognisable this side of the pond...)
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:32 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

I listen to a lot of radio but here are the top 5 albums that I am listening to at the moment (in no particular order)

Wolfmother: self titled (Aussie music)
Tegan and Sara: So Jealous (Canadian, for those that don't know)
Bernard Fanning: Tea and Sympathy (more Aussie music)
Violent Femmes: Permanent Record
Green Day: American Idiot
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:38 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sigur Ros - Takk
Mum - Finally we Are No One
Willard Grant Conspiracy - There But For The Grace of God
Richmond Fontaine - Post to Wire
Black Sabbath - Best of.

eclectica

Rich.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:33 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Sigur Ros - Takk
Mum - Finally we Are No One
Willard Grant Conspiracy - There But For The Grace of God
Richmond Fontaine - Post to Wire
Black Sabbath - Best of.

eclectica

Rich.
Rich I thought mine was eclectic !! :scared:
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:45 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Rich I thought mine was eclectic !! :scared:
LOL I would spin a second line of 5 including:

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Two
Biospehere - Cirque
Rush - Moving Pictures
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord is Dead
Godspeed You ! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists...

Aphex to create scary nightmares and rattle the floorboards, Biosphere to chill to, Rush for the alltime classy Canadian rock sounds of the early 80's and the latter two from Ontario to prove there is far more depth and edge to Canadian music than the paltry somnambulistic dribble-drudge that is Celine Dion etc. And to frighten the cats half to death

Rich

"An eclectic life, that life more examined, is a life more worthy of living for it exposes one to the chance of making mistakes, of meeting strange and unusual people, discovering the freakshow of the universe and inspecting the multitudes for what they are and not what they are said to be."
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams
James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
Madonna - Confesions On a Dance Floor

Anyone getting Satellite radio? no commercials on there apparantly and you can get Radio 1 with Sirius
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:53 am
Lotus-eater

Anyone getting Satellite radio? no commercials on there apparantly and you can get Radio 1 with Sirius [/QUOTE]

Some company in town here was recently offering $50 in-car satellite radio receivers, fitted. That vulgar belching lump Chris Moyles was promoting his show going to Sirius just before we left UK.

Rich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.