British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   The Murrays' have landed - Our experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/murrays-have-landed-our-experience-433302/)

Tam Kilmarnock Mar 8th 2007 9:11 pm

The Murrays' have landed - Our experience

Hi Everyone,

Just returned back to Kilmarnock after landing at a freezing cold Toronto, here is how we fared........

Our flight was initialy delayed 2.5 hours (Zoom Airlines from Glasgow) and our baby son decided to have an off day and cried most of the flight, you can imagine what the other passengers thought of us and our stress levels when we actualy landed in Toronto.

So with Passports, IMM5292's and Proof of Funds at the ready we waited in the queue at passport control. The lady customs officer waived us forward and asked what the purpose of our visit was. I told her that we were landing as immigrants and she smiled and said "good for you". She scanned our passports and waved us through after directing us to the immigration department.

The department was busy and I recognised only one other person from our flight. We were beckoned forward immediately and an immigration officer asked if we were landing as immigrants, as soon as I spoke he made fun of my accent and said "Ah your from Scotland" he took some details from our IM5292's and typed them into his PC. Then in a fake Scots accent he told me to go to a waitng area to the left of the booth.

There was about a dozen and a half poeple there of all nationalities, and we took seats at the back. I thought we would be there for a while but we had no sooner sat down when an immigration officer waived us over into his booth, I reckon we were sat there less than one minute. We had to walk around past all the other immigrants who were waiting and I felt kinda guilty that we were being seen straight away. Seated in the front row were three men and one elderly lady, who were getting a severe grilling from two uniformed officers and one plain clothed officer. We were left alone in the booth for a few minutes and had nothing to do but listen to the verbal lashing that the folks in the front row were recieving. The wife and I just looked at each other and I swear I broke out into a sweat. I just managed to hear the unlucky four being told that they were being detained until their status could be confirmed when the immigration officer returned to the booth.

He asked for our IM5292's , typed the details into his PC checked them against our visa's and never even asked for our proof of funds let alone look at them. This kinda peed me off at the time because we had went to a lot of trouble to raise the funds, selling a car etc. But I guess if we didn't have the funds then he would have asked for them......such is life. We signed the IM5292'S were given the bottom copy and in no more than 20 mins we were directed to another booth to pick up our Welcome to Canada packs and SIN application forms. From there we went to pick up our luggage.

Zoom airlines managed to lose one of our cases, so it took a while to get to customs. We were waived forward and I presented our Goods Accompianing and Goods to Follow lists, all typed up as per little -beauty's and doozy's [/B]templates (thanks guys). The customs guy was amazed and said that he had never seen them typed out before and so it was with a big big grin that he typed the details into his PC. I told him one of the cases and contents was missing and that no one was at the ZOOM desk to enquire about it. He said that was not acceptable and really bad service and offered to take me back to baggage collection to try and find it he even had ZOOM airlines paged over the PA system but to no avail. Anyway he apologised for the inconvenience and then went to the Cashiers office, returning soon after with a blue/white Casual Goods Accounting Document (B15) stapled stamped copies of our B4 forms and a cover form to it and with a big smile shook my hand and said those magic words "Welcome to Canada and Good Luck"

In all the process took less than an hour. Without exception the customs/immigration officers were polite and freindly and the guy we had almost took it personaly that we had lost our case. I would urge everyone to use the B4A and B4E templates, it made a huge difference to the attitude of the customs officer towards us and are well worth the effort.

Now then .......anyone want to buy a house???:D

MonkeyMagic Mar 8th 2007 11:37 pm

Re: The Murrays' have landed - Our experience

Hi,
just read your post and I'm impressed by how straightforward and easy it sounded :D

Despite the fact that we are just at the start of our 'journey', the final moment of landing in Canada and waiting for that final stamp by the Customs Officer has already played in my head. I imagine it must have been quite nerve wracking, after spending so much time and effort to get to that point, but without the absolute certainty that you were 'in' - I guess that even if you've been approved by CHC or whoever, the Customs at the Port of Entry can still deny your entry, or make it difficult :unsure:

Anyway best of luck from a fellow Scot (currently living in the flat, flat SE of England), and hope you settle in quickly.

stu

mclauchlan35 Mar 8th 2007 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tam Kilmarnock (Post 4499327)
Hi Everyone,

Just returned back to Kilmarnock after landing at a freezing cold Toronto, here is how we fared........

Our flight was initialy delayed 2.5 hours (Zoom Airlines from Glasgow) and our baby son decided to have an off day and cried most of the flight, you can imagine what the other passengers thought of us and our stress levels when we actualy landed in Toronto.

So with Passports, IMM5292's and Proof of Funds at the ready we waited in the queue at passport control. The lady customs officer waived us forward and asked what the purpose of our visit was. I told her that we were landing as immigrants and she smiled and said "good for you". She scanned our passports and waved us through after directing us to the immigration department.

The department was busy and I recognised only one other person from our flight. We were beckoned forward immediately and an immigration officer asked if we were landing as immigrants, as soon as I spoke he made fun of my accent and said "Ah your from Scotland" he took some details from our IM5292's and typed them into his PC. Then in a fake Scots accent he told me to go to a waitng area to the left of the booth.

There was about a dozen and a half poeple there of all nationalities, and we took seats at the back. I thought we would be there for a while but we had no sooner sat down when an immigration officer waived us over into his booth, I reckon we were sat there less than one minute. We had to walk around past all the other immigrants who were waiting and I felt kinda guilty that we were being seen straight away. Seated in the front row were three men and one elderly lady, who were getting a severe grilling from two uniformed officers and one plain clothed officer. We were left alone in the booth for a few minutes and had nothing to do but listen to the verbal lashing that the folks in the front row were recieving. The wife and I just looked at each other and I swear I broke out into a sweat. I just managed to hear the unlucky four being told that they were being detained until their status could be confirmed when the immigration officer returned to the booth.

He asked for our IM5292's , typed the details into his PC checked them against our visa's and never even asked for our proof of funds let alone look at them. This kinda peed me off at the time because we had went to a lot of trouble to raise the funds, selling a car etc. But I guess if we didn't have the funds then he would have asked for them......such is life. We signed the IM5292'S were given the bottom copy and in no more than 20 mins we were directed to another booth to pick up our Welcome to Canada packs and SIN application forms. From there we went to pick up our luggage.

Zoom airlines managed to lose one of our cases, so it took a while to get to customs. We were waived forward and I presented our Goods Accompianing and Goods to Follow lists, all typed up as per little -beauty's and doozy's [/B]templates (thanks guys). The customs guy was amazed and said that he had never seen them typed out before and so it was with a big big grin that he typed the details into his PC. I told him one of the cases and contents was missing and that no one was at the ZOOM desk to enquire about it. He said that was not acceptable and really bad service and offered to take me back to baggage collection to try and find it he even had ZOOM airlines paged over the PA system but to no avail. Anyway he apologised for the inconvenience and then went to the Cashiers office, returning soon after with a blue/white Casual Goods Accounting Document (B15) stapled stamped copies of our B4 forms and a cover form to it and with a big smile shook my hand and said those magic words "Welcome to Canada and Good Luck"

In all the process took less than an hour. Without exception the customs/immigration officers were polite and freindly and the guy we had almost took it personaly that we had lost our case. I would urge everyone to use the B4A and B4E templates, it made a huge difference to the attitude of the customs officer towards us and are well worth the effort.

Hi Tom

Delighted that you and the family arrived safe and well and had a easy ride through immigration, So how does it feel to be permanent Residents of Canada then?

I though it was about now you were due to go, hope to meet up soon before you go for good for a Coffee or beer.

All the best

Danny

raine66 Mar 9th 2007 1:19 am

Best of luck to all of you. :)

Another fellow Scot. :D

gooding Mar 9th 2007 2:26 am

Had to laugh about Zoom losing your case. They also lost our dog! well almost. There missing paperwork, left our dog in some warehouse off airport that took us two hours to find. This was in Vancouver. Cost me two taxi rides to and from warehouse and customs before I could get the dog. Horrible customs women both at immigration, and where we thought we should get the dog. Both "jobsworth" people, and the worst landing experience I could think of from start to finish. We were very tired, and frustrated about evrything. The Zoom flight was the most uncomfortable flight we have ever taken, and we will never fly with them again. ( We have used all others)

When we landed it took almost two hours despite no one in the queue in front ( do not land last thing on a Saturday evening. All is closed and everyone departs by 6pm. re-took perfectly goods photos twice, despite my daughter in tears and me angry from delay. Really rude women and not a good ambassador for new immigrants.

Despite spending ages typing goods to follow list perfectly. The immigration officer looked pissed, as if to say we were being too smart!. She crossed of several items because of stupid reasons, and said they would have to see if they would be allowed when they arrived.
Prior to leaving, I checked all the boxes and notice nearly 100 preprinted labels were destined for Australia!! had I not noticed before sealing lorry, the shipping company almost sent our container to Australia,
This delayed there arrival by several weeks as they had to re label at the warehouse, when we finally got them, the customs on the island ticked the lot OK and said there was no problem with anything.

Despite this one day of hell, we love our life here in Canada, and everything else has just got better by the minute. Apart form thes customs everyone here has welcomed us, and we can honestly say we will never return to Uk ( for good that is)

good luck with your future, and the house sale.

Hi Everyone,

mkmurrays Mar 9th 2007 5:57 am

Ah, your thread woke me with a start this morning (it's 7am here).

We're Murrays too, and I thought for a minute I'd missed landing!:confused:

Good for you, glad it went well, and all the best for your future in Canada from one family of Murrays to another.:D

Robin (The Gadget family) Mar 9th 2007 7:51 am

How emotional it must be to finally hear those words, 'Welcome to Canada' after the rollercoaster of applying & waiting & waiting and imagining what it must be like.
So pleased for you and so hope that one day I'll be writing similar words.
Good luck with settling in.
Robin

Tam Kilmarnock Mar 9th 2007 7:57 am

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35 (Post 4499873)
Hi Tom

Delighted that you and the family arrived safe and well and had a easy ride through immigration, So how does it feel to be permanent Residents of Canada then?

I though it was about now you were due to go, hope to meet up soon before you go for good for a Coffee or beer.

All the best

Danny

Hi Danny,
PM or call me and we will arrange a get together sometime next week?

Tom

Tam Kilmarnock Mar 9th 2007 8:00 am

Originally Posted by gooding (Post 4500212)
Had to laugh about Zoom losing your case. They also lost our dog! well almost. There missing paperwork, left our dog in some warehouse off airport that took us two hours to find. This was in Vancouver. Cost me two taxi rides to and from warehouse and customs before I could get the dog. Horrible customs women both at immigration, and where we thought we should get the dog. Both "jobsworth" people, and the worst landing experience I could think of from start to finish. We were very tired, and frustrated about evrything. The Zoom flight was the most uncomfortable flight we have ever taken, and we will never fly with them again. ( We have used all others)

When we landed it took almost two hours despite no one in the queue in front ( do not land last thing on a Saturday evening. All is closed and everyone departs by 6pm. re-took perfectly goods photos twice, despite my daughter in tears and me angry from delay. Really rude women and not a good ambassador for new immigrants.

Despite spending ages typing goods to follow list perfectly. The immigration officer looked pissed, as if to say we were being too smart!. She crossed of several items because of stupid reasons, and said they would have to see if they would be allowed when they arrived.
Prior to leaving, I checked all the boxes and notice nearly 100 preprinted labels were destined for Australia!! had I not noticed before sealing lorry, the shipping company almost sent our container to Australia,
This delayed there arrival by several weeks as they had to re label at the warehouse, when we finally got them, the customs on the island ticked the lot OK and said there was no problem with anything.

Despite this one day of hell, we love our life here in Canada, and everything else has just got better by the minute. Apart form thes customs everyone here has welcomed us, and we can honestly say we will never return to Uk ( for good that is)

good luck with your future, and the house sale.

Hi Gooding,

Thanks for the kind words...we want to settle in VI and would appreciate any advice/comments and accounts of your experience on the island. Would it be possible to PM you and have a chat?

thanks.

lee58uk Mar 9th 2007 8:04 am

well done and good luck !!! were did you get the form b1a and b1e ?:thumbup:

Tam Kilmarnock Mar 9th 2007 8:12 am

Originally Posted by lee58uk (Post 4500937)
well done and good luck !!! were did you get the form b1a and b1e ?:thumbup:

Hi There,
It's actually forms B4a and B4e. The quickest way is to type in B4 Template in the search function of the forum, it's in the top right of the page.

Look for the posting by Dozzzzy on Jan 18th 2006 and you will find the forms. Any problems let me know

Robski Mar 9th 2007 10:05 am

Many many congrats for becoming "landed", sounds like it all went well, and is something to remember fondly (unlike this waiting period!)

Congrats and enjoy. Good luck in sorting everything and setting up out there.

Thanks for sharing the experiance with those of us still waiting, good to know what to expect

:thumbup:

Cookie Mar 9th 2007 2:27 pm

Congratulations on you all landing safely and receiving a very good welcome to Canada.

I take it your are back home to sell up and will hopefully be back on Canadian soil very soon. :thumbup:

ipevo Mar 9th 2007 2:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

Won't you have a problem returning if you haven't got your PR card? Or did you stay long enough before returning to have it sent to you?

Madmac Mar 9th 2007 3:18 pm

Congratulations from two Scots who went through the same process, at the same airport almost 7 months ago. The only difference we had was that it took us 20 minutes from start to exit as we were the only people in immigration and customs:blink:

I had to laugh at your description of the immigration officer saying he had never seen typed forms before. Ours said the same as we had typed the goods to follow and accompanying list. They must have a fast turnover of staff or they say the same thing to every new immigrant. ;)