Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

MSP BC - Going from Work Permit to PR

MSP BC - Going from Work Permit to PR

Old Dec 1st 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Nik G will become famous soon enoughNik G will become famous soon enough
Default MSP BC - Going from Work Permit to PR

I thought i'd post about my experience seen as I couldn't find a definitive answer on the forum.

When you become PR you must MAIL a copy of your Confirmation of Permanent Residence or a copy of the front AND back of your PR card to MSP services with a note explaining the situation and providing your care card number. As of Dec 2015 their address is;

Medical Services Plan
PO Box 9480 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, B.C. V8W 9E7

You cannot fax it, you cannot do it over the phone or online and (as far as I can find) there is no information on the MSP website about what you need to do.

Do not, as i did, call MSP tell them you are PR and update you SIN number thinking that's all you need to do, and updating it at an ICBC service center also does not do anything.

Hope this helps anyone else so that you do not end up without MSP coverage while they update their records over Christmas with a pregnant wife.

Old Dec 1st 2015, 7:27 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSP BC - Going from Work Permit to PR

The issue with that is it cn take 8 weeks plus to get your PR card from landing - will they not just accept the COPR. BC MSP are a pain - I had issues when I got my new work permit and went on my group plan insurance. However, they would accept a fax at this point
Old Dec 1st 2015, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

COPR or PR card (both sides) is what I was told.

You can also take it to a BC Services office but they will just mail it to Victoria too so you may as well mail it yourself.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 7:31 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nik G
COPR or PR card (both sides) is what I was told. You can also take it to a BC Services office but they will just mail it to Victoria too so you may as well mail it yourself.
There isn't BC services offices in downtown Vancouver (or not when I last checked). I am a long way off this but it is useful information as I have had many many issues with BC MSP Cheers
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nik G
updating it at an ICBC service center also does not do anything.
It wouldn't, ICBC are an insurance and driver licensing agency.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yes...but ICBC now administers the BC services card with the driver license.

Part of that is confirming you are a BC resident.

But you can only do that if you are renewing your license or MSP enrollment.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I took my COPR letter to Service BC in Maple Ridge (Yes, really - it's actually got one!!) on the last day of my 'TFW' Medical Card validity (30/10/15).

It only took 4 weeks to get the letter from Victoria after that (arrived yesterday) and I've just got to go to a Service BC or ICBC office to get my combined DL and Medical Card.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing BC are really strict about is that your DL/MSP combined card matches your PR card name. So if your name has been truncated by CIC as your first/middle names take over 15 characters, then your DL/care card will match this rather than your passport as mine does.

The new PR cards have up to 28 characters for each of first/middle and surname but they're only just rolling these out and you have to wait till you're due a new one

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 2nd 2015 at 5:22 am.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 4:36 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

My company sorts the MSP so no real hassle, gave them copy of COPR and they handled it. Regards DL/BC services card, they would swap mine over as it still has time to run and said I can get combined card next year when DL runs out