Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Yukon Territory as a Registered Nurse

Moving to Yukon Territory as a Registered Nurse

Old Aug 27th 2017, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

mikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud of
Default Moving to Yukon Territory as a Registered Nurse

I've read with great interest forum posts over the years, quietly gathering little pieces of wisdom for the immigration process and getting a license to practice as a nurse. I'm on the last stretch of my immediate journey.
Nursing license - check
Job offer - check
LMIA - check
Work visa - in progress

As soon as thats through its time to book flights. I start work on November 27th!

A couple of questions that I'm struggling to find practical answers for.
1 - we are taking our dog to the Yukon. Do we need to get anything special for him (dog boots, jacket etc). He's a Labrador and we can't find practical advice on how to let a dog out for a wee in -40c.
2 - how do expat nurses cope with taking a drop in annual leave allowance. I'm going to go from 6.5 weeks from the NHS to just 2 weeks with my Canadian employer!
3 - is it better to buy winter clothes before arriving in the Yukon or when I get there?
4 - Has anyone successfully maintained they registration with the NMC in the UK for more than a year after moving overseas?

<snip>

Last edited by mikey8954; Aug 27th 2017 at 12:30 pm. Reason: Please re-read Site Rule 9 - you can't link to, or give info about, your blog.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Yukon Territory as a Registered Nurse

Originally Posted by mikey8954
I've read with great interest forum posts over the years, quietly gathering little pieces of wisdom for the immigration process and getting a license to practice as a nurse. I'm on the last stretch of my immediate journey.
Nursing license - check
Job offer - check
LMIA - check
Work visa - in progress

As soon as thats through its time to book flights. I start work on November 27th!

1 - we are taking our dog to the Yukon. Do we need to get anything special for him (dog boots, jacket etc). He's a Labrador and we can't find practical advice on how to let a dog out for a wee in -40c.
2 - how do expat nurses cope with taking a drop in annual leave allowance. I'm going to go from 6.5 weeks from the NHS to just 2 weeks with my Canadian employer!
3 - is it better to buy winter clothes before arriving in the Yukon or when I get there?
4 - Has anyone successfully maintained they registration with the NMC in the UK for more than a year after moving overseas?

<snip>
Sounds like a cold place to move too! Brrr!

Not so cold here in Ontario but with windchill it hit -40 a few nights a few years ago and the dogs were out and back in extremely quickly.

Good luck. I have a friend who lived there but is now in NS.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending what your work schedule is like you may find you do ok. When I initially started working my schedule worked and still works that I get a week off every 6 weeks and just use 1 stat day and 4 hours vacation (I work 12 hour shifts). Most hospitals seem to work schedule of 2 days 2 nights and either 4 or 5 days off. The hardest thing for me was getting used to how strong unions are and that seniority counts
Old Aug 27th 2017, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

mikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud of

It is going to be a bit on the chilly side. A far cry from me moaning about the wet, windy cold southwest coast of England.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing license - check
Job offer - check
LMIA - check
Work visa - in progress

<snip>

Can't help you with anything to do with dogs, immigration or maintaining UK professional licenses, but I can tell you that the Yukon is my favorite place. I often spent months at a time riding my bicycle, camping and doing winter sports there. The scenery is stunning-try and visit the Stikine River valley, often called the Grand Canyon of the north. Or travelling down the Cassiar highway-starts not far from Watson Lake- into northern and central B.C. where the government campsites are fantastic.

Yes, it can get cold in the Yukon, but I hardly noticed when cross-country skiing, hiking on trapper trails, or using a pack horse to carry my gear while voyaging in such a splendid place.

Clothing-Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) carries a huge range of warm winter clothing, for everyday wear and sports. Check out their website, maybe they have an outlet in Edmonton, nearest big city (Alberta).

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 3:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where in the Yukon you will be, but there's some 'weather tips' (plus licensing laws etc.,) on this website Animal Control | Whitehorse, YT

I would imagine that mukluks for dogs and a coat would be essential in the winter.

The Cold Weather Doggie Blues - whatsupyukon.com

Hurtta have some good reviews and do a full body suit, with or without waterproofing.

https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/products/warm-clothing

for paws: https://muttluks.ca/collections/dog-boots

Old Aug 27th 2017, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Depending what your work schedule is like you may find you do ok. When I initially started working my schedule worked and still works that I get a week off every 6 weeks and just use 1 stat day and 4 hours vacation (I work 12 hour shifts). Most hospitals seem to work schedule of 2 days 2 nights and either 4 or 5 days off. The hardest thing for me was getting used to how strong unions are and that seniority counts
Thanks Silverdragon102, That sounds like something I could live with. I'm already feeling the the unions. I asked for the new employer to honour my existing annual leave (would be done almost without question in the UK), they declined stating that if someone with more seniority requested the time off, they would get it and I would be required to cancel my annual leave. I offered to take unpaid leave, work additional hours. Couldn't do it because it would the unions wouldn't permit it. Seems like they have taken all the flexibility out of things.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Siouxie, thanks for the resources! Much appreciated.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dave2003
Can't help you with anything to do with dogs, immigration or maintaining UK professional licenses, but I can tell you that the Yukon is my favorite place. I often spent months at a time riding my bicycle, camping and doing winter sports there. The scenery is stunning-try and visit the Stikine River valley, often called the Grand Canyon of the north. Or travelling down the Cassiar highway-starts not far from Watson Lake- into northern and central B.C. where the government campsites are fantastic.

Yes, it can get cold in the Yukon, but I hardly noticed when cross-country skiing, hiking on trapper trails, or using a pack horse to carry my gear while voyaging in such a splendid place.

Clothing-Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) carries a huge range of warm winter clothing, for everyday wear and sports. Check out their website, maybe they have an outlet in Edmonton, nearest big city (Alberta).

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
We're really looking forward to exploring, hopefully we'll take to the outdoors life. Thanks for the tips.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Silverdragon102, That sounds like something I could live with. I'm already feeling the the unions. I asked for the new employer to honour my existing annual leave (would be done almost without question in the UK), they declined stating that if someone with more seniority requested the time off, they would get it and I would be required to cancel my annual leave. I offered to take unpaid leave, work additional hours. Couldn't do it because it would the unions wouldn't permit it. Seems like they have taken all the flexibility out of things.
There probably is some flexibility but all depends on how well you get on with your colleagues and do shift swaps. Unions in nursing over here I must say is much better than the UK. Pay reflects this. I am sure once you get settled and working things will fall into place
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Can you clarify where in the Yukon?

It matters greatly where you will be, as your experience in Whitehorse will be completely different than in Dawson, Watson Lake or Old Crow.

I was based in the Yukon for a little while. The Yukon, of course, is unmatched for nature. Whitehorse is a "government town" and has all the creature comforts of a city its size in the provinces. The other towns, cabin fever can strike due to the isolation. I can't quite remember if Whitehorse is one-day driving distance from Dawson in good weather or if you somehow need to stop for the night somewhere.

One thing you need to make completely sure about when you are exploring nature is that your car is kitted out and you have the relevant survival gear, even if you are just going a little ways out of the city, including a heat source. I remember one November putting my hand in the Yukon River and I had lost feeling before I had counted to three.

I do remember we also got a lot of Americans coming through, passing through while moving to Alaska for "fresh starts."
Old Aug 28th 2017, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Everything costs more in remote places so shop before you go.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I get 4 weeks vacation here in BC as an RN, even that is decided on seniority and I am near the bottom, we submit requests in November here so check you wont miss out on that.
Then they decide who gets which dates by working down the list of seniority.
My Manager has allowed me to take LOA, and we all juggle it by swapping shifts. Then there are stat in lieu days as well.
As far as NMC goes, I let it go after a year.Too much money and hassle.
Good Luck with the move.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Everything costs more in remote places so shop before you go.
I did not find Whitehorse that much more expensive than the lower provinces, but the statement is certainly true for areas outside Whitehorse (and, availability of many goods will be limited).
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

We recently just spent 2 weeks in the Yukon (normally live in Alberta) at the research station owned by the institute my husband works for- it was a 2.5 hour drive from Whitehorse. We found Whitehorse to be reasonable enough price wise- we went into a fair few shops within Whitehorse and coming from Alberta, things were priced around the same, including for groceries- though we found the quality of the food- mainly just the fresh produce to be lacking. They have just opened a new supermarket in Whitehorse though so the bit of competition will hopefully help!
Head outside of Whitehorse though, and as people have said the prices increase a lot. The nearest area of civilisation to us was Haines Junction, just under 2 hours from Whitehorse- and a small bag of flour for example in the shop there will cost you pretty much $14. You can buy just a couple of things and easily spend $50/$60- so definitely worth getting as much as you can in Whitehorse groceries wise. - but this is also why people hunt!- good to stock up for the winter.

We spent a lot of time with the staff at the research station who live in the Yukon all year round. While they clearly love the place, most have some reservations (like anyone does about where they live) but they're mainly around the weather & the lack of permanent employment. Seasonal jobs are a super common occurrence where we were, whereby you'll be laid off at the end of the season and may not find work in the winter. Everyone we met did or had worked seasonal jobs at some point for a length of time.

We found everyone super friendly- probably because of how the weather gets, it's good to help each other out!

You'll definitely need proper winter gear. Lots of people we met love the winter as they're all into snowmobiling, skiing etc, but the snow doesn't really get useable around where we were until December/January- obviously it's a huge province so I can't speak for it everywhere! But it's dark for most of the winter- and sounds like a fairly difficult life- we met a lot of people who head to Central America in the winter for some sun. -40 to -50 is the norm they spoke about around where we were. While we loved it in the summer it wasn't hot. Though they did have 2 weeks of abnormal temperatures a few weeks ago, for the most part this year it's rained a LOT and people who grow things are well behind in the season.

Anyway- thought I would just share our perspective- we just got back home yesterday so memories are pretty fresh.
It's a stunning landscape- we saw so much wildlife! Hardly any people is also awesome- bears outnumber people by 3 to 1 we were told. Haha and we were lucky enough to see a grizzly and her 2 cubs which was awesome. We hope to get back out there again. It's definitely a HUGE lifestyle change if you're coming from the UK. Enjoy it. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.