Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving with young children

Moving with young children

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:26 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with young children

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
Totally agree with the above. I was a FT mum when we moved out of the UK. (Did have a proper career before kids but stopped when they came along). Then volunteered at the school when we got here and got really involved and met lots of people. TBH I have met a lot of people too because of the activities my kids do - hockey and soccer.

I have just gone back to work on a PT basis and am enjoying it. People do use daycare / parents for childcare and it seems to work well - I know a lot of working parents. The schools here alos run daycare centres and after school clubs for working parents. It is really well set up.

As she said above, get involved and out yourself out there and you will have a good time!
Yeah, in my experience, it's really a hodge-podge in Vancouver. Some schools have daycare (with long waitlists) many don't. Mine doesn't, which is typical. They have some after-school activities but not every day and often not for the right age group of your kid. OH and I have kid in a home daycare part time. The lack of good daycare is the biggest issue for the working parents I know.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Kers1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yeah, in my experience, it's really a hodge-podge in Vancouver. Some schools have daycare (with long waitlists) many don't. Mine doesn't, which is typical. They have some after-school activities but not every day and often not for the right age group of your kid. OH and I have kid in a home daycare part time. The lack of good daycare is the biggest issue for the working parents I know.
Wow! Just reading through and im really scared now. Fingers crossed i'll be in Vancouver next year with my family too. Trouble is I have the job offer while my partner doesnt. Our smallest are 5 and 3 1/2 and the childcare is such a worry. I so wish i could take Mum with me!!!
Good Luck with your move.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:11 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kers1978
Wow! Just reading through and im really scared now. Fingers crossed i'll be in Vancouver next year with my family too. Trouble is I have the job offer while my partner doesnt. Our smallest are 5 and 3 1/2 and the childcare is such a worry. I so wish i could take Mum with me!!!
Good Luck with your move.
You could take your mother with you as a vacationer for 6 months to help get you settled and find employment. It's possible you could get her vacation extended at least once.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You could take your mother with you as a vacationer for 6 months to help get you settled and find employment. It's possible you could get her vacation extended at least once.
Thanks for the idea. I'd love to. But she wouldn't come unfortunately. My Sister wants to come along for a year but im not sure how to get her there just yet. That extended holiday idea sounds good for the moment. She is 17 now.
Im looking to adopt some Grandparents for the kids. I think i got a bit panicked after reading this thread. I'd love to work part time but i'm either going to have a 4 day week or shorter days but not much shorter so hopefully we can find something to fit around that. For the meantime my partner wont be working straight away. I'll just have to pray hard and keep my fingers crossed something will come up when i get out there as there is only so much i can do as im still in London.
Im hoping that Co-quitlam/Burnaby's childcare will be better then Vancouver seems to be.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:41 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the idea. I'd love to. But she wouldn't come unfortunately. My Sister wants to come along for a year but im not sure how to get her there just yet. That extended holiday idea sounds good for the moment. She is 17 now.
Im looking to adopt some Grandparents for the kids. I think i got a bit panicked after reading this thread. I'd love to work part time but i'm either going to have a 4 day week or shorter days but not much shorter so hopefully we can find something to fit around that. For the meantime my partner wont be working straight away. I'll just have to pray hard and keep my fingers crossed something will come up when i get out there as there is only so much i can do as im still in London.
Im hoping that Co-quitlam/Burnaby's childcare will be better then Vancouver seems to be.
When your sister turns 18 she can apply for a one year BUNAC working visa and apply for extension during the first year. With this visa she is free to live and work anywhere in the country and many young people use this method to gain permanent resident visa.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

When your sister turns 18 she can apply for a one year BUNAC working visa and apply for extension during the first year. With this visa she is free to live and work anywhere in the country and many young people use this method to gain permanent resident visa.
Thanks a bunch. She turns 18 in October. I thought I could apply for a VISA so she could come in the Summer. Oh well. I will look into BUNAC though.
Ta for the advice.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:24 am
Banned

Thanks a bunch. She turns 18 in October. I thought I could apply for a VISA so she could come in the Summer. Oh well. I will look into BUNAC though.
Ta for the advice.
Your sister could come with you as a visitor for six months then go across a border to activate her BUNAC visa thereby giving her 18 months in total, more if she extends her visa via TWP application.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Your sister could come with you as a visitor for six months then go across a border to activate her BUNAC visa thereby giving her 18 months in total, more if she extends her visa via TWP application.
Thanks so much. Your a star. 6 in fact!!