Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from Yorkshire to Kelowna

Moving from Yorkshire to Kelowna

Old Mar 30th 2015, 2:14 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving from Yorkshire to Kelowna

Hello everyone, myself and my husband are heading out to Kelowna this summer, I have applied for my study visa that lasts for two years whilst I study for a Diploma at Okanagan College and my husband (qualified Gas engineer and Welder) will hopefully find work whilst we are out there as he gets an open work permit for the duration of my studies.
We are coming over 2 months earlier and hopefully this will be ok with immigration as this gives us time to settle and for my husband to look for work which we are hoping will be easier face to face whilst we are there.
We have been looking at apartments and houses for a long time but we got lucky on Castanet and we are renting an apartment for the summer months in the Pinnacle Resort County Club Drive which is roughly 10 miles from downtown and then from September we will be in the mission area at the Playa Del Sol resort until the following April which is close to where I'm studying.
We are looking forward to spending the next two years in Kelowna and BC and enjoying/exploring everything it has to offer. We have sold our house in Yorkshire which I was worried about as I was advised by a another member on this site that this could be a red flag to an immigration officer when we arrive. We wanted to sell our house anyway but we still need to prove that we have strong links to the UK so that we return home after my Diploma is finished. Both mine and my husbands employers have offered to write us letters stating that they would re-employ us upon return, I also have strong family links and we are hoping this will be ok, has anyone else been in this situation? I think I watch Canada border force too much and it makes me really paranoid!!
Has anyone else been through this as any advice would be very appreciated!

Beckie
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Yorkshire to Kelowna

I wouldn’t overly worry about the lack of ties to the UK, you will be considered to be entering as a temporary resident, and with a fixed exit date on your permit; so as long as the study permit is in place before you leave the UK then you shouldn’t experience to many issues.

In terms of your partners SOWP as long as he is British citizen (and not inadmissible for any other reasons) that simply apply for the SOWP at POE and pay the $155

Activating the study permit 2 months early may raise some eyebrows with CBSA (presuming you have the acceptance letter from CIC this far in advance?) – but as long as you can offer sensible reasons, and can prove funds and offer an outline plan of what you will be doing in the 2 months, then this shouldn’t be a massive issue.

I presume your partner has investigated, and is fully aware of the exams, certification, and licencing he require in order need to practice as a gas fitter / tradesman in Canada?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

People bring their entire worldly possessions when coming over on a 2 year TFW Work Permit, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I sold my UK house and brought a 40' shipping container containing everything we own including a Landrover Defender as a TFW.

I am of course currently applying for PR, but CBSA didn't officially know that, even though it would have been pretty obvious...

Last edited by withabix; Mar 30th 2015 at 8:26 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:45 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Thankyou both. Think I'm just over thinking things but your views are really appreciated! With abit I would love to bring my car with me but gotta sell her :-(
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beckie and Morgan UK
I would love to bring my car with me but gotta sell her :-(
Mine is Left Hand Drive and was bought and refurbished specially to bring over.

Cars have to be more than 15 years old or you can't import them anyway.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone, myself and my husband are heading out to Kelowna this summer, I have applied for my study visa that lasts for two years whilst I study for a Diploma at Okanagan College and my husband (qualified Gas engineer and Welder) will hopefully find work whilst we are out there as he gets an open work permit for the duration of my studies.
We are coming over 2 months earlier and hopefully this will be ok with immigration as this gives us time to settle and for my husband to look for work which we are hoping will be easier face to face whilst we are there.
We have been looking at apartments and houses for a long time but we got lucky on Castanet and we are renting an apartment for the summer months in the Pinnacle Resort County Club Drive which is roughly 10 miles from downtown and then from September we will be in the mission area at the Playa Del Sol resort until the following April which is close to where I'm studying.
We are looking forward to spending the next two years in Kelowna and BC and enjoying/exploring everything it has to offer. We have sold our house in Yorkshire which I was worried about as I was advised by a another member on this site that this could be a red flag to an immigration officer when we arrive. We wanted to sell our house anyway but we still need to prove that we have strong links to the UK so that we return home after my Diploma is finished. Both mine and my husbands employers have offered to write us letters stating that they would re-employ us upon return, I also have strong family links and we are hoping this will be ok, has anyone else been in this situation? I think I watch Canada border force too much and it makes me really paranoid!!
Has anyone else been through this as any advice would be very appreciated!

Beckie
Hi there,

Sorry I can't help with Kelowna or moving as a student, but I just wanted to say hi to some fellow Huddersfudlians :-) Hope the move goes smoothly and you enjoy your time in BC. What will you be studying?

Adele
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Mine is Left Hand Drive and was bought and refurbished specially to bring over.

Cars have to be more than 15 years old or you can't import them anyway.
With the demise of the Landrover Defender yours will be a collectors item in time.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
With the demise of the Landrover Defender yours will be a collectors item in time.
I think they will continue to build them in somewhere like China, India or Mexico after they stop making them in Solihull in December.

They are pretty well sought after over here already and there are some fairly large owners clubs, especially in BC.

If I keep it until it is 25 years old it should double in value overnight as being exportable the the USA as well.

Last edited by withabix; Mar 31st 2015 at 9:24 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:48 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Smile Re: Moving from Yorkshire to Kelowna

Originally Posted by adele
Hi there,

Sorry I can't help with Kelowna or moving as a student, but I just wanted to say hi to some fellow Huddersfudlians :-) Hope the move goes smoothly and you enjoy your time in BC. What will you be studying?

Adele
Hi Adele,
Nice doe you you to say hi! What's your story? I'm studying early childhood education. It was either that or human service worker but that course was full. I have done my qualificationa over here and completed a degree in Education but I would really like to learn the Canadian way and work on placements in the neighbourhood. Im looking forward to it but obviously terrified at the same time.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Adele,
Nice doe you you to say hi! What's your story? I'm studying early childhood education. It was either that or human service worker but that course was full. I have done my qualificationa over here and completed a degree in Education but I would really like to learn the Canadian way and work on placements in the neighbourhood. Im looking forward to it but obviously terrified at the same time.
Hi again!

Following a one year working holiday in Vancouver in 2003/4, I knew I wanted to emigrate here, so I applied for permanent residence through the federal skilled worker program in 2005 when I'd accumulated enough points. Three years later I obtained my visa and I moved to Vancouver in 2009. I became a Canadian citizen a year ago.

Hope you enjoy the program and life in BC! I'm guessing you'll have to have a medical to be able to work with children on the placements?

All the best,
Adele
Old Apr 5th 2015, 10:07 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Yes Adele I've had a full medical plus a form filled out by my GP. Also had to fill out a police form amongst other things. I'm looking forward to spending the two years studying and getting used to new surroundings. This has been in the planning for two years so we can't wait!
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds good - hope it all goes well and you enjoy the program and BC!

Good luck,
Adele
Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Hello from Kelowna. We also rented at Playa del Sol 2yrs ago, when we first moved here, it's a good location for the college. Best of luck with your move and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:56 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Hello everyone,
Just a quick update from us! We have been here just over a month now and loving it so far. My hubby had a couple of weeks off and then sent out his CV's and the day after was given an interview and offer for full time work whilst I'm studying. He's working for a great, family run business and they have really welcomed us. We are living at Quail Ridge at the moment so a little far out for now but at the end of September we move down to Playa De Sol which is much closer to my husbands work and my college.
Kelowna is so beautiful in the summer and we look forward to enjoying life as the journey getting here, even as a student has been a long, expensive one! But absolutely worth it!
Beckie
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kelowna is so beautiful in the summer
Time to buy your longjohns and a Canadian-grade winter coat soon....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.