Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving without a job

Moving without a job

Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

marknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nice
Default Moving without a job

Has anyone moved without a job, we are a family of 4 and considering in just going for it. Has it taken long for people to find a job?
Thanks for any help
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving without a job

Originally Posted by marknh
Has anyone moved without a job, we are a family of 4 and considering in just going for it. Has it taken long for people to find a job?
Thanks for any help
There are a lot of jobless posters at the moment. "We're about to give up on Toronto" I read here yesterday.

I wouldn't do it.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

yep I did with family of 5 got a job in a week but that was 20+ years ago. Check out the local papers on line before you go but nothing like being there to chew the fat with them in person. Good luck
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

marknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nicemarknh is just really nice

It seems to be that the job interviews that my partner has been for, have said the reason for no offer is because of starts dates, as they all want someone the following week. My partner has explained about notice periods but it doesnt matter. Some other employers have said we need to be in canada. Its so hard and so frustrating as we really dont know what to do. Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Which immigration route are you planning to take into Canada and what do you do for a job?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

my partner is canadian, I already have PR and our kids are dual nationality. My partner is currently the Head of Department at a school here, but did all training and university there. Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:25 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

We did the move without jobs, it took nearly 8 months for me to secure work in my field. My wife went into retail and it took her about 2 days.

You already know it, but you need sufficent money behind you and the will power to not let the whole job hunt get you down. We became experts in budgeting, we have the house of kijijii and the fridge of costco.

On the job front, they say you cant do it from sitting at your computer and I would have to say I agree with it in part. After about 3 months I joined a job networking club and whilst it did not give me any new routes it gave me the opportunity to discuss my frustrations with those experiencing the same. I also helped a few with resume reviews and job hunting advice so it gave me something else to think about.

For me, recruitment was very slow, most companies taking 2 - 3 weeks from a closing date to make contact. Then 1 - 2 months to hear back after an interview, despite me sending a follow up email etc.

It all came together within a week in June, I had three offers in a week. The last one was a company how interviewed me in January, my first interview. They made me a stupidly good offer and whilst I was annoyed by their handling of the post interview stuff (2 hrs afterward "hey u have the job", 4 weeks later "no u dont"), I bite the bullet and put those feelings to one side as it was a very very good offer.

I think I am saying anything can happen and you need to be ready for that.

If you are renting out your UK house, remember your saving need to cover "no rent" scenario. If you expect rent in on 1st month, move your mortgage paymen to the 10th to allow for any problems.

Cheers

JB
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Thankyou, we have just sold our house here, and will have money for atleast 6 months, for rent, food, car, utilities and gas. what do u think is resonable that we would need a month. Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:35 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Hi Thankyou, we have just sold our house here, and will have money for atleast 6 months, for rent, food, car, utilities and gas. what do u think is resonable that we would need a month. Thanks
That is a difficult question, we (2+dog) in Ottawa, with one car, rented three bedroom house was living on $2500. It was a stretch. But we kept on top of bills, changed car insurance after 6 months and saved an extra $100 per month. We also stayed in more than we would have liked.

Maybe you could list your expectations and we can give you advice. For example I find tv/broadban/landline more expensive than advertised. Lots of hidden charges.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well in that case...... go for it! I would in your position. No doubts at all. You'll get a job in 6 months! Even if it's not in your chosen career you can do whatever it takes to pay the bills!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

We came over as a family of four last summer, with no job.

My husband had been trying to get work from outside Canada, and even made two trips over to try in person, but eventually we decided we just had to move. We had enough savings to last us a year if necessary.

It took my husband 6 months and then he had two offers in two days.

It is nerve wracking and frustrating and you need determination to stick at it as well as a lot of luck and money. My husband found out that several leads that seemed so hopeful before he arrived fizzled out once he got here.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
You'll get a job in 6 months! Even if it's not in your chosen career you can do whatever it takes to pay the bills!
I would be less optimistic than this - sorry GL, but we've had plenty of forum members who have struggled to get *any* job and it's taken far longer than 6 months. Remember in Canada, it's not what you know, it's who you know!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

It's all about attitude and perseverance. We did it in Calgary five years ago and it worked for us. Wife got a job offer in our first week by chance without even looking for one and it took me maybe five months to get the job I had my sights on. It can be a little scary, but that's half the fun! Worst case is you have to be prepared to start from scratch work-wise if need be.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

<Sarcasm>marknh, after reading other posts on this thread my advice would be to go for it. It clearly worked out in the end for some so it will obviously translate into the same situation for you. Hopefully those playing with your lives and advising you jump right in will be there for financial and emotional support if it doesn't work out.</Sarcasm>

I have no real advice, only a question. Having 2 kids to provide for, what are your plans if no work is achieved at the 6 month mark?

For outgoings through that period i would imagine the following need to be taken into consideration:

Flights
Health Insurance
Down payment on property rental
6 months rent
Shipping / buying furniture - Beds, couch, dining set, tv, storage etc
Vehicle/s
Vehicle insurance x 6 months
Fuel
Utilities x 6 months
Food
School stuff (assuming kids are school age)
Phones
Internet
Seasonal Clothing
Activities for/with kids
Dentist
And more no doubt....

Last edited by el_richo; Sep 5th 2011 at 2:48 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:01 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are a lot of jobless posters at the moment. "We're about to give up on Toronto" I read here yesterday.

I wouldn't do it.
That was me and I and i cant tell you how fed up we are. I can think of far better ways to of wasted 4k. Ive been talking to a lot of the graduates who've left Ireland in their droves and a lot are heading back due to no work here. Everyone seems to say the same about applying and not even get an interview. To the original poster... i really wouldnt risk it right now. You really have to be lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.