Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Winnipeg - lots of questions.

Wikiposts

Moving to Winnipeg - lots of questions.

Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:15 am
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Winnipeg - lots of questions.

When I was 19, I went to Canada on an international experience visa and met my other half. Skip forwards almost 4 years (3 years long distance relationship) and I've just had my permenant resident status approved, and I activated this in March (I'm currently back in UK).

I finish University here in August with a bachelors of nursing. I've researched into the CRNE exam for Manitoba and it says if I have graduated with 2 years of the exam date, I do not need any practice hours, although these would be beneficial. So I'm unsure wether to move in September or get an RN job in UK for 3-6 months (to be honest I don't want to be away from my hubby any longer!). If I do move in September I would get ANY job until I pass the exam. I've worked in retail and events part time through university. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any practical advice on this?? Does anyone know if there are any temping work agencies in Winnipeg??

I still have more questions, bare with me.

I have got a Canadian bank account, social insurance number, Manitoba health card... Is there anything else I can/should get whilst I'm still yo-yoing between uk and Canada?

Also, what do I do with regards to registering with a gp. My hubby despite being born in Winnipeg does not have a family doctor! So asking him is as useful as a chocolate teapot. I want to get us both registered somewhere.

Any expats also lurking in Winnipeg? I'm actually petrified but very excited about making the final move.

Thanks

Bec
Old Apr 21st 2013, 11:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Winnipeg - lots of questions.

Originally Posted by BritishBec
When I was 19, I went to Canada on an international experience visa and met my other half. Skip forwards almost 4 years (3 years long distance relationship) and I've just had my permenant resident status approved, and I activated this in March (I'm currently back in UK).

I finish University here in August with a bachelors of nursing. I've researched into the CRNE exam for Manitoba and it says if I have graduated with 2 years of the exam date, I do not need any practice hours, although these would be beneficial. So I'm unsure wether to move in September or get an RN job in UK for 3-6 months (to be honest I don't want to be away from my hubby any longer!). If I do move in September I would get ANY job until I pass the exam. I've worked in retail and events part time through university. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any practical advice on this?? Does anyone know if there are any temping work agencies in Winnipeg??

I have got a Canadian bank account, social insurance number, Manitoba health card... Is there anything else I can/should get whilst I'm still yo-yoing between uk and Canada?

Also, what do I do with regards to registering with a gp. My hubby despite being born in Winnipeg does not have a family doctor! So asking him is as useful as a chocolate teapot. I want to get us both registered somewhere.

Any expats also lurking in Winnipeg? I'm actually petrified but very excited about making the final move.

Thanks

Bec
How exciting! Won't be long now

I can't help you with your questions but wanted to say 'hello and welcome'.

I was going to suggest you could also try posting this in the nursing forum here on BE - but I see you already have. Well done!

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bec,
Sounds like you have a jump on most people moving here, as you seem to have most things sorted; dont worry too much about work, so long as you are prepared to do anything there are lots of available jobs here.

Once you have an address call
The Family Doctor Connection
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Phone: (204) 786-7111

They have an upto the minute list of doctors that are accepting new patients in all areas and will advise you what is best for your situation.

If you have any questions, no matter how stupid they may seem to you, feel free to ask me, I have been in your position and know how frightening it is; if I cant help I will surely know someone that can.

Winnipeg is a great place to live, I haven't regreted a moment.

Regards

Guy
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lurking...

(at least i'm good at something)
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

kimmiebow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Bec
i think you should stay in the uk till the Feb at least as ill miss you so much.

also that you should move to vancouver
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Thank you to dormy for the Dr info details. Will look into that!

Kimmie, I'll not run off before baby is here
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:55 am
win'peger

nitin.g is on a distinguished road

Hey Bec

We are just 3 months in Winnipeg, so dont know much of the details. As a newcomer, you should also try and get the Driving Licence from MPI sooner, as licence is the most commonly used proof of ID being accepted for almost everything.

All the best in your move.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Thanks to all the replies! Really appreciate the hellos. I've seen that the Uk drivers licence can be exchanged without a problem I just need to go to MPI/autopac place..?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all the replies! Really appreciate the hellos. I've seen that the Uk drivers licence can be exchanged without a problem I just need to go to MPI/autopac place..?
Yep, plus if you have any no claims then get in touch with your current and previous insurers asking for a letter confirming dates of insurance and no claims. These are taken into account when insuring your first vehicle.
Old May 4th 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Refreshing to see there are other British winnipeggers out there! I am heading out in June- accidentally fell in love with a young lady who was on her two year work visa and 9 months away from common law visa...

Experienced two winter trips so far- looking forward to some summer after the minus 32 of January!

Is there much of a British expat community? Keen to integrate but also retain some of my English charm!
Old May 6th 2013, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
Refreshing to see there are other British winnipeggers out there! I am heading out in June- accidentally fell in love with a young lady who was on her two year work visa and 9 months away from common law visa...

Experienced two winter trips so far- looking forward to some summer after the minus 32 of January!

Is there much of a British expat community? Keen to integrate but also retain some of my English charm!
Not really a 'community', you will most likely however run into a Brit every once in a while.
Old May 6th 2013, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Not really a 'community', you will most likely however run into a Brit every once in a while.
When Im out driving I look to run into one everyday especially those not from Lancashire