Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to Winnipeg from ireland

moving to Winnipeg from ireland

Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Winnipeg from ireland

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Does your partner already have the LMIA? If not then timewise it's cutting it rather fine for May, so you may well find he can't move until later in the year anyway.

As for applying for PR after six months, you can usually apply as soon as you arrive in Canada, unless your partner doesn't have a 'skilled' job. It's definitely worth applying asap, as a TWP is far from ideal for a family, so do get the security of PR as soon as you can. What does he do?
His a mechanic
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
His a mechanic
Ooops, missed that!

So no need for the OP to wait 6 months to apply for PR which is good.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

irishkellie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi cheistmasoompa im dar kels partner i have the lmia granted already im al set to travel already just wait on police cert for the visa. is it easy to apply for pr as soon as i get out. i have a couple of friends out there who ar also irish an they said they wore told they had to wait de 6months
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Scotdownunder thank you for that information, it must have been an exciting time for your little one gettin all her toys back again, my 1 year old doesnt play with toys much unless his brother has something then he wants that when you say theres loads to do with kiddies and you find somrthing new every week wat do you mean, as it is now myself partner kids and my parents go to the park on a sunday afternoon rain or shine

Juggernaut1064 i agree every city has a bad area but thank you for that information when myself and darragh were looking online we noticed that the 10-12 areas rent was a lot cheaper to everywhere else

its good to no that even in really cold temp that you can still go out and about your daily business, here in ireland if we get an inch of snow the country comes to a standstill

christmasoompa as dar said the lmia was approved last week so hes just goin to tie up a few loose ends here before he sets off
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishkellie87
when you say theres loads to do with kiddies and you find somrthing new every week wat do you mean, as it is now myself partner kids and my parents go to the park on a sunday afternoon rain or shine

:
We find there are so many things that are geared towards kids here - in the summer there are loads of splash pads and wading pools beside the community centres and parks, the beaches at the lakes are often equipped with life-vests for the kids, there is a kids museum as well as the normal one has a great science gallery for the kids to run around in. The zoo has a great kids adventure playground.
Each season they have lots of different festivals and fairs, Halloween they have pumpkin farms and corn mazes, winter they have outdoor rinks and sleigh rides - I could go on but you get the idea lol
There are some great FB moms group you can join when you get here that you can get good tips on and find out what's happening round the city.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

There is an Irish club in Winnipeg on Erin St,I went there a couple times ,guiness is not bad there.Keep away from North End and downtown at night can be a bit dodgy otherwise you should be ok.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

hi guys sorry for late posting, my partner headed out to winnipeg on Sunday has been working etc since, one of the lads he's working with said that he is on probation for 3 months, I was just wondering if they decided to let him go after 3 months could he still get another job or would we have to come home?? Heads all over the place at the moment

Thanks
Kellie
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys sorry for late posting, my partner headed out to winnipeg on Sunday has been working etc since, one of the lads he's working with said that he is on probation for 3 months, I was just wondering if they decided to let him go after 3 months could he still get another job or would we have to come home?? Heads all over the place at the moment

Thanks
Kellie
Does he have an open work permit, or a closed work permit (that is tied to one employer), Kellie?
Has he only just discovered this 3 month probation in his contract?
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Kellie
Three month probation is standard, as requested does his work permit have his company name on it or "any employer"
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Kellie
He can't get another job without a new LMIA/TWP.

That's why the advice is always to get a PR app in straight after arriving, so that you can get the security of PR ASAP and not be tied to the company on the TWP.

HTH.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:09 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;11665471]He can't get another job without a new LMIA/TWP.

That's why the advice is always to get a PR app in straight after arriving, so that you can get the security of PR ASAP and not be tied to the company on the TWP.

HTH.[/QUOTE

That's great help thank you I will tell him to apply for PR as soon as he can, he landed Sunday even and was in work Monday morning so hasn't had a chance to do anything yet, he might get something done on Saturday maybe 😃
Wats weather like at the moment?
Also do kids start school September till June and do they were uniform probably asked that before just can't remember, my brain is like mush lol😂
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:15 am
Just Joined

I'm not sure if work permit has company name on it I havnt been talking to him that much a few texts here and there, he only noticed it wen he got out there that he was on probation so he just self doubting himself really, I just wanted to no where we'd stand if they did let him go, I'm a what if time of person he just goes with the flow 😊
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=irishkellie87;11665637]
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
He can't get another job without a new LMIA/TWP.

HTH.[/QUOTE

That's great help thank you I will tell him to apply for PR as soon as he can, he landed Sunday even and was in work Monday morning so hasn't had a chance to do anything yet, he might get something done on Saturday maybe 😃
Also do kids start school September till June and do they were uniform probably asked that before just can't remember, my brain is like mush lol😂
30th June is the last day of school in Winnipeg this year, usually starts up again 1st week in September. There are no school uniforms unless you send the kids to private school.

The 3 month probation period is standard, and so long as he keeps his head down and does his job there are usually no issues. Mechanics are actually quite sought after here, there is a bit of a shortage, as it is quite an industrial area and a transport hub for the country; the city transit is desperate for mechanics so he should be ok.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

HTH.[/QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Weather is beautiful now, hot and dry from now until September/october, it doesn't often rain here
Old Jun 15th 2015, 5:00 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if work permit has company name on it
Hi Kellie,
Where is hubby working?
then look on Realtor Website
for house in and around that area. No point on commuting 30 minutes if you don't have too.

I live in the 10-12 area and the iffy party of town doesn't stretch this far out.

What are you looking for in your new home?

2 storeys/ bungalow/ detached / side by side or townhouse ( terrace)
3 bedrooms, most houses here have basements for guest rooms
New / established.
New means brand spanking new never been lived in ( loads going up all round the city ). Problem is they are building sites for several years.

Established is older than 10 years trees have grown, gardens, fence and people know each other.

In town - on the edge - way out with you're own postcode?

Plan in your head where you want to be in 12 months - not on landing - Who gets to pick a good house / area from 7,000 miles away.

If you're renting first - don't panic and cry like my wife did when we arrived. We rented in a co-op as it only had a 1 month notice requirement, allowing us to save for the deposit.
Roughed it ( camping indoors style ) with four kids. air beds / sofa beds / tv and computer games. 4-11

Took us 6 months to move out, because the kids loved it, loved their school loved the kids in the area and loved the activities in the neighbourhood. Looked at over 132 houses before we settled here.

Your hubby must have a good idea where his work colleagues are living now and what type of people they and that will help you decided where to live.

Good luck, and don't believe all the horror stories, because they don't happen everyday or to everyone.

Hope you have fun and stay connected with people on here until you have your own circle of friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.