Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving To Wiinnipeg

Moving To Wiinnipeg

Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

gibjam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Wiinnipeg

So the time has finally come for my family and I to move to Winnipeg. We will arrive 10th April and I will start my new job on the 14th. Whilst I will be pre occupied at work my wife will be at home with our 2 children ,2yr, and would be interested in knowing of any mum and baby groups she maybe able to look at going to.

Last edited by gibjam; Mar 15th 2014 at 9:52 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving To Wiinnipeg

Originally Posted by gibjam
So the time has finally come for my family and I to move to Winnipeg. We will arrive 10th April and I will start my new job on the 14th. Whilst I will be pre occupied at work my wife will be at home with our 2 children ,2yr, and would be interested in knowing of any mum and baby groups she maybe able to look at going to.
Check with Start Manitoba, once you have arrived. They should be able to give you info on these sort of things. If not somebody else answer on here from Wpg with more details and you struggle to find info...let me know and I can dig a bit. In that case it might help to know which corner of Wpg you are moving to.

All the best with your move!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some contacts that you might be interest in:

http://www.youville.ca/inyourcommunity/familycenters

I didn't check them all, but I checked out the first one and it seems like it has groups similar to the one you're looking for. There are also multicultural centers in Canadian cities like Winnipeg that help newcomers (new immigrants) with getting settled once they have arrived.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I will be pre occupied at work my wife will be at home with our 2 children ,2yr, and would be interested in knowing of any mum and baby groups she maybe able to look at going to.
Good Luck - Winnipeg is a good place - Not a huge city but the only one in Manitoba LoL - There are plenty of groups and help services in the city but all localized to your sub division / area

I arrived in Winnipeg in 2007 and we chose to live outside the city in Selkirk

Take a walk along Gary Street south of Portage Ave and you will find the main office for the family services who will have all the information you need I'll guess it's around #100 Gary St.

Maybe the snow will be gone by April
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Be ready to hear from Winnipegers "why did you come to Winnipeg!?"
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I seen the 'haters' on here when it comes to Winnipeg, but went there open minded back in October and really liked it and could see my family living happily there.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
"Now Entering Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?" I remember seeing that on an episode of the Simpsons.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Good Luck - Winnipeg is a good place - Not a huge city but the only one in Manitoba LoL
Winnipeg is just as populous as Edmonton and Vancouver.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
Winnipeg is just as populous as Edmonton and Vancouver.
i dont think so..Edmonton is nearly twice the size of Winnipeg and Vancouver if you count the Metro area four or five times the size.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I seen the 'haters' on here when it comes to Winnipeg, but went there open minded back in October and really liked it and could see my family living happily there.
I dont hate Winnipeg,Im going back there to work next month,I was just telling the truth,thats what people have said to me.

Last edited by neilcumming; Mar 17th 2014 at 5:43 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of different groups, there are usually things running in your local community centre, schools and libraries and classes available through the city leisure guide and so on.
If she is on FB I highly recommend the Winnipeg moms page - about 1300 Winnipeg moms on there who would be happy to advise on your nearest mums groups if/when you know where you are going to be staying (also fantastic for finding out where the best places/deals are for almost anything you could want kid related)
Welcome to the peg.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
There are loads of different groups, there are usually things running in your local community centre, schools and libraries and classes available through the city leisure guide and so on.
If she is on FB I highly recommend the Winnipeg moms page - about 1300 Winnipeg moms on there who would be happy to advise on your nearest mums groups if/when you know where you are going to be staying (also fantastic for finding out where the best places/deals are for almost anything you could want kid related)
Welcome to the peg.
The wife has joined the group. That's for the heads up. Looking to stay in the SW of the city.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

The wife has joined the group. That's for the heads up. Looking to stay in the SW of the city.
No problem. I am in the SW of the city with a 2yr old so if she needs anything I'm happy to try and help, just PM me.

Last edited by AlliF; Mar 18th 2014 at 1:47 pm. Reason: sp
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Aero61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gibjam, You will enjoy Winnipeg, it's a friendly city. Although I am 'officially' a newbie to the Forum I came here back in 2011 but for various reasons are looking at moving out to B.C. I have an apartment in lovely Charleswood that I will be sub-letting. If you might be interested please PM me. Good look with you're new life in Winnipeg.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Downtown and along Main Street is a nightmare after dark!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.