Reload this Page >

Moving to Vernon, CA with young family

Wikiposts

Moving to Vernon, CA with young family

Old Aug 18th 2018, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

LondonSam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Vernon, CA with young family

Hi, we moved to Canada from S.E.London..... we live in Kelowna. I would suggest spending some time having a look around before deciding where you're going to plot up. If you've already secured work you're half way there! Where are you coming from?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

pow06 is an unknown quantity at this point

We’re coming from Suffolk and seem to have made a few connections with regards to finding a property so it’s going well
Old Aug 19th 2018, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Hi, You can check Castanet.net for local news, rentals or furniture/vehicle sales, also Kijiji.ca. As the valley is small, Its hard to find second hand furniture at a good price.... although Ikea is a 4 hr drive away, we do have a pick up point so you can order and get stuff delivered (delivery $80) Groceries are a lot more expensive here, also utility bills are...... car insurance will be a shock try to bring a letter from your current insurer with details of time driving/no claims bonuses. Don't know if you've already been to the Okanagan...... HSBC Bank is here and seems to accommodate new comers well. - let me know if you need info on anything particular
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

LondonSam ......

If you check pow06's more recent post, you will see that they are now apparently heading for Salmon Arm, not Vernon.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Scilly good catch - No HSBC Bank or Ikea Pick up point - still expensive compared to UK prices for the other things I listed. Certainly sticker shock..... I love going back to the UK and stocking up at Primark/Asda as the prices are not comparable here. Quality of life sure makes up for it though!
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

LondonSam ............

I got over that very quickly ...... as we didn't go back for a holiday until 6 years after we left (I don't count going back for my Dad's funeral), we HAD to buy here .................. we love teak, and there were some incredible stores selling really good solid teak at good prices.

Here we are, 50 years later, and we still have the same furniture.

I also got out of M&S being the best value, although I did stock up on things for the first couple of visits. Then they opened up here ............... and I could not believe how drab most of their clothes looked.