Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from Vancouver to Toronto

Moving from Vancouver to Toronto

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of
Default Moving from Vancouver to Toronto

After almost 11 months in Vancouver we're not sure thats its right for us. Neither of us are working in our chosen fields (media/film & tv) and we find the cultural void, high property prices and lack of buzz disappointing.

Before we throw in the towel and decide to do something drastic like move back to the UK we were thinking perhaps it was best to consider a move within Canada to Toronto first.

I haven't been in Toronto in over 15 years so we will of course check it out but I wondered if anyone else had done this or how city folks found Toronto to live in.

Also what are some good neighborhoods to consider?

We're hoping to find a more exciting city life and are wondering if T.O could be it - any and all insight very much appreciated.

Emily
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:58 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving from Vancouver to Toronto

Hi...

You might find the Toronto Subway map useful for considering suitable, commutable, places to live - http://www3.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp .

I personally would only live downtown, everything is on your doorstep, there's plenty of buzz, and its much cheaper than Vanc's downtown.

There is also a neighbourhood guide on this Realtors website - http://www.rebeccalaing.ca/Toronto_Real_Estate_Map , it's a great place to start your research.

Also, if you're thinking of living deep downtown, you might want to be based somewhere on, or near, The Path (the underground walkway) to make getting around on foot easier in winter. Here's the map - http://www.toronto.ca/path/pdf/path_brochure.pdf ...

...and don't forget to check out if you'll be near the trams (Streetcars) routes - http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/Streetcars.jsp

For a bird's eye view, and to give locations and distances some real world perspective, download Google Maps - http://earth.google.com/ .

I'm sure you already know, but in case you don't, use the MLS real estate website - http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx .

The Annex area is our dream local - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Annex .

HTH,

M.

Last edited by loser40; Sep 4th 2008 at 12:54 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this neighbourhood guide:

http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml

I had a squint at the one above and it's very much an estate agent's guide, you have to interpret "very much on the rise in popularity" as "no longer quite as frightening as it was".

Obviously downtown has more bars and restaurants but Yonge/Eglinton also has plenty of meet markets, if you want or need a backyard you could look at Beach, High Park, Yonge/Davisville; not too far out and each of them has some local entertainments.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 4th 2008 at 12:09 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loser40
For a bird's eye view, and to give locations and distances some real world perspective, download Google Maps - http://earth.google.com/ .
The link you listed takes you to Google Earth which is a bit more interactive than Google Maps. For the bird's eye view photos you should go to the Microsoft version at http://maps.live.com/Default.aspx?q=&FORM=BDIR&enc=0 and click on the 'bird's eye' tab when you zoom in enough...in most places it gives you good imagery (not always taken the same day) of most of the GTA

This months issue of Toronto Life has descriptions of most of Toronto's neighbourhoods; however the prices can be quite daunting.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Thanks for all of this - very helpful!

Have any of you also lived in vancouver? I'd love to hear what people who have lived in both places think - pros & cons, etc...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs

Have any of you also lived in vancouver? I'd love to hear what people who have lived in both places think - pros & cons, etc...
You might also want to check out the Toronto Life magazines on line neighborhood guide:

http://www.torontolife.com/real-estate/

I have worked in both cities and I find Toronto to be a bit more dynamic as I find Van to have a bit of the West coast layed back feel.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks ZapOne - that guide is really helpful.

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
You might also want to check out the Toronto Life magazines on line neighborhood guide:

http://www.torontolife.com/real-estate/

I have worked in both cities and I find Toronto to be a bit more dynamic as I find Van to have a bit of the West coast layed back feel.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ZapOne - that guide is really helpful.
Hey, no problem.

I will be in Vancouver on Sunday so I am happy that the weather is going to be picking up again. I will be seeking out a good patio to catch some sun and a pint.

Cheers
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't lived in Vancouver, but it is somewhere that I would dearly love to live. It is where I was first introduced to Canada. It is where over the years of regularly visiting I have made a circle of friends and got to know the city. The beautiful setting of Vancouver, the majestic mountains and the ocean is without doubt one of the compelling reasons for me to wish to live there. As is the more laid back West Coast life style.

Toronto is a great city and I'm enjoying my time spent here. There is much to see and do in the city, but the natural beauty is missing. This is a big bustling busy city with the focus on making money. It is after all the financial power house of Canada. I guess there are more jobs and more money to be earned. Toronto is a great multicultural city with folks from everywhere and the different cultures and foods abound.

For me, the big cityness of Toronto, the cut and thrust of business, the lack of natural beauty greeting each day that I miss from Vancouver and the harsh winters and too hot and humid summers count against Toronto for me.
I don't enjoy spending all winter in doors in central heating because it's deathly cold out and then spending summer in doors in central air-conditioned because the heat and humidity sap my energy and will to live.

I'd be happy with winter rain (It doesn't need shovelling), and the milder summers of Vancouver. If I want to enjoy the snow there is plenty of it in the mountains around Vancouver with ski-hills a bus ride away.

The jury is still out, so I'm not sure if or when we'll make the move west, but for now I'm quite happy in Toronto and I can see why so many love the place. If you enjoy the good and bad that cities offer, then Toronto might be for you.

I guess it all depends what it is you think you want from Canada, and if that can be found here.

Rob
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from Southern Ontario, lived in Vancouver for years and returned to Toronto before emigrating to Australia. For my money I prefered Toronto area. We had a young family when we moved back to Ontario, so chose Burlington to live as it's a family friendly city close to my parents and in-laws. Toronto has everything at your doorstep, so much prefered it. New York is only an hour's flight, cottage country just a couple of hours drive, you've got the theatre and nightlife.

If we were to move back to Canada (don't see it happening any time soon, since we love Australia) it would be Toronto. Depending on your budget there are some really great areas to live. Of course it also depends on whether you have children.

Some of the areas I would avoid would be the obvious ones like Jane/Finch, Malvern, parts of Scarborough and the western satellite cities of Brampton and most of Mississauga. My opinion only, of course.

Best of luck with your planned move.