Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver part2

Moving to Vancouver part2

Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:11 am
Just Joined

peteforde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Vancouver part2

So after - my first post, thanks for all the input. I have some more question.

1. Areas to live in Vancouver, we want to be able to walk or cycle, don't really want to get a car. Any thoughts.

2. Dogs? Getting your dog to Vancouver? Living in Vancouver with a dog? Pets owner anyone.....
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver part2

Ref: 1, it might be worth you giving a bit more info about what you're after - i.e. how many beds, condo, amenities, budget etc - then people can suggest areas that might suit. Also, where will you be commuting to? If you only want to cycle or get public transport, that's an important bit of info.

Ref: 2, have you done a search of the forum? There's also a Wiki article about transporting pets which may be useful reading.

HTH.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:23 am
Just Joined

peteforde is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I will be working on Granville Island, we want something pet friendly, 2 beds max $2500

can you post a link to the thread about transporting pets
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteforde
There are lots of threads, if you do a search (top right of the forum). If you mean the Wiki article, then just go to the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and you can find it via the search there.

HTH.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:41 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yaletown or West End would be best.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteforde
Hi I will be working on Granville Island, we want something pet friendly, 2 beds max $2500

At the top of the main Canada page are the Wiki Links. Dig around - masses of useful info including Transporting Pets-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yaletown or West End would be best.
No, it wouldn't as you'd need to cross a bridge or take a water taxi. I'd say, Kits or South Granville is your best bet. Most apartments in Kits are a bit meh but it'd be the best area for Granville Island if you want to walk or bike. You'll be challenged to find a place that will take a dog with your budget. If you can stretch your rental budget to $3500 - $4000+ you might be able to find a small house with a back garden for your dog.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 14th 2016 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
No, it wouldn't as you'd need to cross a bridge or take a water taxi. I'd say, Kits or South Granville is your best bet. Most apartments in Kits are a bit meh but it'd be the best area for Granville Island if you want to walk or bike. You'll be challenged to find a place that will take a dog with your budget. If you can stretch your rental budget to $3500 - $4000+ you might be able to find a small house with a back garden for your dog.
Not an issue if no car, and then you have easy access to downtown, English Bay, Stanley Park, and Coal Harbour on your time off.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Not an issue if no car, and then you have easy access to downtown, English Bay, Stanley Park, and Coal Harbour on your time off.
You'd be alright from May to Sept but I'd think you'd soon get bored very quickly biking or walking that far in the rain twice a day. He'd be better off living close to work and then bussing or biking when you want to go downtown or for a jaunt around S. Park. Plus, imo Yaletown is full of knobheads and the West End is scuzzy.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:40 pm
Yo

You'd be alright from May to Sept but I'd think you'd soon get bored very quickly biking or walking that far in the rain twice a day. He'd be better off living close to work and then bussing or biking when you want to go downtown or for a jaunt around S. Park. Plus, imo Yaletown is full of knobheads and the West End is scuzzy.
Fair comment. Still for renting, short term, getting to know Vancouver, YT or WE are not bad. I lived in South Granville at one point, good on paper, but so boring in its own way.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:51 pm

Fair comment. Still for renting, short term, getting to know Vancouver, YT or WE are not bad. I lived in South Granville at one point, good on paper, but so boring in its own way.
The whole city is boring and dull. I don't think people move here for the vibrancy and excitement.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be challenged to find a place that will take a dog with your budget. If you can stretch your rental budget to $3500 - $4000+ you might be able to find a small house with a back garden for your dog.
Obviously the more you can increase your budget by, the more choice you will have. But I don't think you need to spend that much finding pet-friendly rentals even around downtown. And as I said before, it's always worth asking if a landlord will accept pets even if it doesn't say anything about pets in the ad.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

A lot is going on around False Creek at the moment (Science World) and Olympic park. Condo units can be a bit small but are modern. Kits might be good for or South Granville. My wife personnel loves taking the water bus from Yaletown Marina to Granville Island but doesn't have to for work.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
A lot is going on around False Creek at the moment (Science World) and Olympic park. Condo units can be a bit small but are modern. Kits might be good for or South Granville. My wife personnel loves taking the water bus from Yaletown Marina to Granville Island but doesn't have to for work.
How many of those places will allow a big dog? And a water taxi would add considerable expense doing it twice a day plus there are a few days when it is too rough even on False Creek for the taxis to run
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

True, the big dog is going to be an issue. Might find something in Kits though. As I said wife doesn't need to take water taxi but the walk to Howe and get the bus isn't too far from Yaletown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.