Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Old May 11th 2016, 1:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You actually quoting Wiki to me
I always think Wiki gets a an unjustifiably bad rep.

Clearly for some things one shouldn't go there but for a general idea (and often specific) I think it's very good.

In my experience Wiki provides the source for the stuff it publishes so one can decide how seriously to treat the information. You actually don't get that when reading something, say, in a newspaper or just someone's blog.

On those occasions when Wiki doesn't quote a source there is usually some sort of disclaimer to say it's not authenticated or whatever expression it uses.
Old May 14th 2016, 8:51 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I always think Wiki gets a an unjustifiably bad rep.

Clearly for some things one shouldn't go there but for a general idea (and often specific) I think it's very good.

In my experience Wiki provides the source for the stuff it publishes so one can decide how seriously to treat the information. You actually don't get that when reading something, say, in a newspaper or just someone's blog.

On those occasions when Wiki doesn't quote a source there is usually some sort of disclaimer to say it's not authenticated or whatever expression it uses.
I like Wiki and for non-contentious issues find it fairly reliable.
Old May 14th 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Despite how it may look to you on a map Ontario/Quebec are traditionally referred to as Central Canada and the provinces to the west as Western Canada or the West. It's probably due to the fact that most of the population, and political and economic power have been in ON and QC.

The Wikipedia discussion & quotes are interesting, especially when one (i.e. me!) considers one lives in Eastern Canada (Qc, "en l'occurence"), as does the Federal gubmint, and there's another wiki article to boot: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Canada.

Old May 14th 2016, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

JanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond reputeJanJoplin has a reputation beyond repute

We live in what can be considered South Vancouver - it's relatively shoddy on the edges, I think we will move somewhere more quaint but rent is getting a bit out of control so considering moving out of the province altogether if we can't get manage. Thinking of White Rock or Delta for now. My wife hates to travel though and it's not fair on her and the kids to move so often.