Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Asking the OP to work in London at a Canadian rate is taking the ****.
Agreed. I think you've had a "lucky escape" although it may not feel like it right now.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 30th 2016 at 4:28 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think asking for a relocation package is unreasonable after all most the costs to the employer are a cost of doing business so come off as a tax write off.
Most provide it because it helps people be productive at work quickly.

I would echo what others have said on here but to give you an idea my relocation package was:
Flights for me and wife
Temp accommodation in apartment for 1 month
Tax advice on first filing in Canada and last filing in uk
Temp medical cover (3 months till msp kicks in in BC)
$5000 relocation allowance. Note tax rules say these allowances have to be paid as income so you pay tax on them. Just something to consider when evauluating offers.

What may be a slight issue is the size of your family in relation to relocation costs. I would try and get it for all 6 of it were me I'd be willing to drop to say you and wife and 1 or 2 kids with you offering to pay costs for other kids.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 10:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Asking the OP to work in London at a Canadian rate is taking the ****.
A Canadian employer is not likely to know what salaries are paid in the rest of the world. Same with "employees", computer contractors in Toronto do not generally know that they're paid half the London rate. It doesn't matter to them because they're not in London. If we have Canadians working remotely on a job in London we don't pay them more for that.

In context, it doesn't seem so terrible to say to someone abroad, "please do some work now, we'll pay you for it" without making the connection that the candidate will see that as slave labour. I don't think there's a conspiracy here, just an unsophisticated employer and, possibly, an unrealistic salary expectation.
Old May 1st 2016, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ahorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A Canadian employer is not likely to know what salaries are paid in the rest of the world. Same with "employees", computer contractors in Toronto do not generally know that they're paid half the London rate. It doesn't matter to them because they're not in London. If we have Canadians working remotely on a job in London we don't pay them more for that.

In context, it doesn't seem so terrible to say to someone abroad, "please do some work now, we'll pay you for it" without making the connection that the candidate will see that as slave labour. I don't think there's a conspiracy here, just an unsophisticated employer and, possibly, an unrealistic salary expectation.
The problem is here that I told the employer there is a big difference here. I think you are getting me wrong, I would accept the 100K without hesitation in Canada. But to work for that money in London is just not realistic.

I would eve do that if the employer could pull down the 10 day express LMIA. But instead of negotiation or communication they just run away.

I would accept the 100K, fly low for 1 or 2 years, get into the market, get pr and if there is a real shortage of security professionals I'm sure the market will find me and get me something else.

Facing the Canadian infosec job problem: A ‘mess and an opportunity’ | IT World Canada News

SO my problem is not with the salary, the problem is to get a salary in London which would only cover the rent of the apartment we are in.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ahorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question: I read on the Ministry of Labour for BC website that payment is done twice in a month. So what is the standard there? every 2 weeks you receive salary, or every week or after a month? Can you please explain it to me?

Thank you.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in BC are paid ever two weeks on a Friday. So assuming you start work the Monday after a pay day the most you would wait for salary to be paid is 12 days.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!mBAck to the offer debate. I had asked about twp processing time earlier because that was the question for me, if I accept the role, how long would it take to get the wp. If some one has experience please share with me.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you are from a visa exempt country (and I think you are) and provided you have the LMIA and all the other paperwork you need (it is this which takes the time and is in the hands of your future employer not you) you just obtain it when crossing the border, takes between 30 mins and an hour once you have been seen by examining officer in secondry.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

OK, I know that. But how long LMIA and other paperwork takes on the other side?
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ahorvath
OK, I know that. But how long LMIA and other paperwork takes on the other side?
Unfortunately it really is a 'how long is a piece of string' answer. It will all depend. As I said above thought you have very little control over this as you do not apply for the LMIA the employer does. If they are asking you this question I would be concerned that they don't understand the process sufficiently well enough for me to have any confidence in them.
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

OK, guess this. I have the LMIA and offer, I go to the consulate and apply for the twp to get a preapproval letter. How long that takes? ANyone?
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, guess this. I have the LMIA and offer, I go to the consulate and apply for the twp to get a preapproval letter. How long that takes? ANyone?
As above once you have the offer and the LMIA you can get the TWP at the border you don't need a pre-approval letter from the consulate.
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, you go to immigration at the airport with your LMIA, offer letter etc., and obtain your TWP there and then OR you apply online. *but also see below

Going through Immigration will likely take a couple of hours - if you apply online, the present processing time is 1 month.

(Apologies, as Snowy just pointed out to me, you are applying from the UK - I had forgotten)

Work in Canada temporarily

The consulate won't be able to help you with this, to the best of my knowledge. * You could perhaps also apply to London VAC I believe, if you want to be certain before you leave. http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/UnitedKingdom/

Last edited by Siouxie; May 2nd 2016 at 9:29 pm. Reason: Edited due to Snowy reminding me the OP is in the UK - apologies!
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I got confused based on this article. TWP : Where to apply-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Got believe we have to apply from outside Canada anyway, and only after we have received the preapproval letter we would be able to go to Canada.

My head becomes a mess related to twp. For TPW do I need to have ECA, a language exam, medical exam, criminal record certificate BEFORE I apply at the border? how much money you have to have to enter.

Thank you.
Old May 2nd 2016, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

None of the above unless you require a medical for certain fields of work. (don't think this will affect you though). Generally no proof of funds is required but if their is a long delay between you arriving and starting work they may request you show enough to support you and your family. You may have to show proof of medical insurance for 3 months unless you companies relocation package is covering this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.