Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Ahorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Thank you for everyone. Progress on board seems like the company is going down on the LMIA pathway and they want us to move over asap the paperwork is done.

How common is to have relocation package provided? We are a bit different from the usual forum user as we are immigrants in the UK too (even if it is just from Europe), so, for example, we don't have a house to sell.

If I got a TPW when and how can we apply for PR within Canada? Anyone who has got real life experience? Because I have heard and read different kinds of stuff.

IS TPW provided for 3 years?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd say your wife would be better applying for a spousal open work permit (a work permit tied to yours), even if she doesn't intend to work in the first instance. An opportunity (of even a few hours a week) may arise that she'd like to do but in any case, worker status is a better one to have (than visitor).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 27th 2016 at 3:56 am.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Personally, I'd say your wife would be better applying for a spousal open work permit (a work permit tied to yours), even if she doesn't intend to work in the first instance. An opportunity (of even a few hours a week) may arise that she'd like to do but in any case, worker status is a better one to have (than visitor).

S
Agreed. Easier/faster to apply for/get an OWP on arrival & not use it than to come in as a visitor then have to apply for & wait for an OWP.

Relocation package: negotiate, negotiate, negotiate the terms. Very common to have one.

If you get a TWP for a NOC A, B, 0 level job, you can apply for PR the day you land in Canada.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ahorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond repute

My wife not going to work for a while, we have got a little one, she is staying home, also has to level up the language skill.

thanks for the hint on relocation package.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ahorvath
My wife not going to work for a while, we have got a little one, she is staying home, also has to level up the language skill.

thanks for the hint on relocation package.
Another hint: there are no language requirements for a SOWP on the back of a TWP....
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

How common is to have relocation package provided? We are a bit different from the usual forum user as we are immigrants in the UK too (even if it is just from Europe), so, for example, we don't have a house to sell.
I would look for the following relocation package

- flights for you and family (with possible flights home during the year)
- temporary healthcare coverage until you qualify for MSP (you will need to wait least 2 months and 1 day and possibly up to 3 months to qualify for provincial healthcare).
- temporary accommodation in a furnished apartment (not a hotel room), at least one month but maybe longer depending (in Vancouver the big moving days are 1st and 15th of the month, rentals very rarely begin at any other stage).
- tax advisors for your first year of tax returns.
- assistance with finding rental property.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the advice on relocation package, I have got an offer but it is only 100K/year, benefits including medical and MSP coverage (but I'm not sure if it is equals private medical insurance or not). MSP is the Canadian NHS?

I think 100K is a bit low, but seems like it is the best they could give. Again, would it enough for a family of six, as a sole income?

thank you.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
I would look for the following relocation package

- flights for you and family (with possible flights home during the year)
- temporary healthcare coverage until you qualify for MSP (you will need to wait least 2 months and 1 day and possibly up to 3 months to qualify for provincial healthcare).
- temporary accommodation in a furnished apartment (not a hotel room), at least one month but maybe longer depending (in Vancouver the big moving days are 1st and 15th of the month, rentals very rarely begin at any other stage).
- tax advisors for your first year of tax returns.
- assistance with finding rental property.
+1 ..... and perhaps the cost of a shipping your belongings over and a rental vehicle for a month.

If you are living in rental property in the UK and don't have furniture to ship over, perhaps ask for an amount to cover basic furnishings - you will be very unlikely to find furnished long-term accommodation in Vancouver - most furnished ones are short-term, high cost and temporary. It's amazing how much furniture costs add up when you have to start from scratch!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 28th 2016 at 1:51 am.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice on relocation package, I have got an offer but it is only 100K/year, benefits including medical and MSP coverage (but I'm not sure if it is equals private medical insurance or not). MSP is the Canadian NHS?

I think 100K is a bit low, but seems like it is the best they could give. Again, would it enough for a family of six, as a sole income?

thank you.
MSP is the public health care but it doesn't cover dental, optical or drugs. So most employers will add some kind of coverage for these. (though most would argue that the NHS is far better than the Canadian system anyway).

I do agree that 100k is a bit low but you may find it comfortable depending on your lifestyle. I noticed that you said you are not going to drive which will save a bit. You should be able find a tax calculator online which should give you a rough idea of take home pay. Then have a look at Craigslist for rentals (eveyone uses Craigslist here). Rent will be your biggest expense.

But for a security engineer with many years experience, I think 100k is way too low. Are they open to negotiation?
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you are CISSP Certified, if you are this payscale may be of interest.

Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certification Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale Canada

Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But for a security engineer with many years experience, I think 100k is way too low. Are they open to negotiation?
I think he should bite their hand off.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think he should bite their hand off.
So what salary do you think would be commensurate with his experience, for Vancouver?
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drive so public transportation is important.
This sticks out like the proverbial elephant in the room. Is there a reason you don't drive? Your employment options and quality of family life will be severely limited, and the distances between places in North America are tenfold what you can expect in London. You might just about make it in a dense metropolis like Toronto, but BC ? I'm not so sure.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

In some cases, an employer is required *by law* to provide some of the "benefits" (I'm looking at health coverage specifically) mentioned.

If I were in the OP's position, I'd expect - at the very least - flights to Canada + flights home at the end of the contract (&/or if contract terminated early); temporary accommodation on arrival ; help with finding longer term accommodation, medical insurance top-up; & $$ for shipping household items (if applicable), or the same in $$ to buy the necessary.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 3:09 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

MSP is the public health care but it doesn't cover dental, optical or drugs. So most employers will add some kind of coverage for these. (though most would argue that the NHS is far better than the Canadian system anyway).

I do agree that 100k is a bit low but you may find it comfortable depending on your lifestyle. I noticed that you said you are not going to drive which will save a bit. You should be able find a tax calculator online which should give you a rough idea of take home pay. Then have a look at Craigslist for rentals (eveyone uses Craigslist here). Rent will be your biggest expense.

Do you mean financially or clinically?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.