Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Originally Posted by Ahorvath
GTA? is stands for? well, the role definitely not an admin role...
Greater Toronto Area.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

How many years experience do you have and what's your highest qualification level?
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ahorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond repute

Overall experience 20, information security 13 years. highest is high school diploma with some college done but not finished. 3 international industry standard professional certificate (cISA, CISSP, PRINCE2).
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Overall experience 20, information security 13 years. highest is high school diploma with some college done but not finished. 3 international industry standard professional certificate (cISA, CISSP, PRINCE2).
I think you should be looking at $125k minimum base + bonus. As you have noticed Information Security is in high demand here.

But as mentioned the overall package is important, this would be what I would be looking for at a minimum
- 4 weeks vacation
- MSP premiums paid plus extended healthcare (dental, vision, drugs)
- Pension matching

If you get a base of $125k, assuming you can claim your wife's tax credits, you should be quite comfortable, I think.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ahorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond reputeAhorvath has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Moving to Vancouver - family of six

Originally Posted by bc2015
I think you should be looking at $125k minimum base + bonus. As you have noticed Information Security is in high demand here.

But as mentioned the overall package is important, this would be what I would be looking for at a minimum
- 4 weeks vacation
- MSP premiums paid plus extended healthcare (dental, vision, drugs)
- Pension matching

If you get a base of $125k, assuming you can claim your wife's tax credits, you should be quite comfortable, I think.
Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Can anyone describe the ECA process to me? Just because I don't get the sense, BC ECA assigned institution as far as I understand want the original docs from the school, they want the school to send the document to them with my interaction. Also, they want a color photocopy of the document itself, but for me, it is not clear to me if it is from me or from the school.

I had lost my high school diploma during all the relocation, so it is hard, also will be hard to get my small town high school to send whatever is needed to Canada, after 20 years I have finished studying there.

Another question: open work permit only exists in EE PR stream, yes? TPW is relates to a specific job offer, yes?

Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can anyone describe the ECA process to me? Just because I don't get the sense, BC ECA assigned institution as far as I understand want the original docs from the school, they want the school to send the document to them with my interaction. Also, they want a color photocopy of the document itself, but for me, it is not clear to me if it is from me or from the school.

I had lost my high school diploma during all the relocation, so it is hard, also will be hard to get my small town high school to send whatever is needed to Canada, after 20 years I have finished studying there.

Another question: open work permit only exists in EE PR stream, yes? TPW is relates to a specific job offer, yes?

Thank you for your help.
For degrees, the ECA is done by the applicant sending degree certificate directly to assessment body and then getting the institution where the degree was obtained to send the transcripts of courses taken etc.. sent to the assessment body too.

People use WES as they tend to be the fastest. This is the information from them about Hungary

World Education Services - Required Documents

A TWP is usually tied to an employer, correct. They are usually issued after a positive LMIA (basically an assessment that no Canadian can do the job). This allows you to work while PR application is in progress. Once you get PR there is no restriction on who you can work for.

There are ways to get Open Work Permit, but I don't think any would apply to you.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bc2015
A TWP is usually tied to an employer, correct. They are usually issued after a positive LMIA (basically an assessment that no Canadian can do the job). This allows you to work while PR application is in progress. Once you get PR there is no restriction on who you can work for.

There are ways to get Open Work Permit, but I don't think any would apply to you.
Thank you, just to clarify, when you said that is possible to work with TPW while PR is in progress means it is possible to apply for both at the same time? I understand that TPW is processed quicker but how quick it is, assuming a positive LMIA and an offer?
Old Apr 16th 2016, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, just to clarify, when you said that is possible to work with TPW while PR is in progress means it is possible to apply for both at the same time? I understand that TPW is processed quicker but how quick it is, assuming a positive LMIA and an offer?
Which country are you a citizen of? If you got a positive LMIA then the work permit can be applied for at the border on entering Canada dependent on your citizenship.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally we are from Hungary. Well with a family of six it is worth to risk it not to get a \TWP at the airport?
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally we are from Hungary. Well with a family of six it is worth to risk it not to get a \TWP at the airport?
Hungary is a visa-exempt country so you should be ok getting TWP and visitor records at the border. You will need an eTA to travel however.

Just to note that there is processing times for LMIA too, but they are not published. I think it will take a minimum of a month to get one (if your job offer qualifies for faster processing which is tied to the wage offered), otherwise it could be many months.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

If I'm going with TWP way, what kind of visa my wife and kids need to get/apply for? My wife is a stay at home mom and she won't work in Canada so shed oes not need a work permit. But if it is not a work poermit, than what she need to apply for?

I'm getting confused,
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

If I'm going with TWP way, what kind of visa my wife and kids need to get/apply for? My wife is a stay at home mom and she won't work in Canada so shed oes not need a work permit. But if it is not a work poermit, than what she need to apply for?

I'm getting confused,
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting confused,
If your putative Canadian employer successfully applies for & obtains an LMIA, you will get a TWP; & if the job is NOC level A, B or 0, your wife will be able to get an OWP (open work permit), whether she intends to work or not.

Until you receive confirmation of the job offer & LMIA from the prospective employer in Canada, it's all speculative.

Without an LMIA, how many CRS points do you score (For EE)?
Old Apr 20th 2016, 5:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting confused,
If she doesn't want to apply for an open work permit (presuming she qualifies), she and the children would request Visitor Records when entering Canada and you would request a TWP on entry as well. This will enable your children to attend school and your wife to obtain a Provincial Drivers License.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.