Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver

Moving to Vancouver

Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:17 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
I've been in Vancouver now for five years and absolutely love it here. As other posters have stated, the housing here is very expensive so I think how livable you find it will depend a lot on your household income. We bought a one bed apartment last year in Kitsilano and it has increased around 20% in one year which is just insane! It does look like a correction may be on the cards, but Vancouver is a desirable place to lives so who knows.

If you're the kind of person that loves the outdoors, you can't get much better than Vancouver and most of these activities are free. We take our dog to the doggie beach, we walk the trails in UBC, we hike the North Shore mountains and we play tennis - all of these activities cost nothing. If you however enjoy culture, Vancouver is sorely lacking.

I would really access what kind of lifestyle you desire. We recently decide we wanted to start a family and we seriously contemplated moving to Kelowna due to the house prices here. After some deliberation we decided to stay put in Vancouver because having a house is something we are willing to compromise on to stay in Vancouver and have access to the great outdoors here.
Kelowna and the Okanagan has a pretty good outdoor vibe going on...
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Yeah, we love the Okanagan but for us it was the lack of jobs in my field (I'm in visual effects and love it).
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChrissRoss
We noticed you were thinking of starting a family, What is the MPS like over there as my partner is on prescription meds, and we would really like to have more children. How does the MPS differ to the NHS? is it like Medicare?
I think you mean MSP (the Medical Services Plan)? You pay a monthly premium (currently $150.00 for a two adult family) and you get access to services like the NHS. For example, you break your arm, you go to the hospital and get x-rays and cast and it costs you nothing. I'm not sure how good the drug coverage is but I would count more on extended health coverage from your work for that.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

MSP does not typically cover prescriptions, optical or dentistry. You may or may not end up with a employer group plan which may cover some/all of these.

There is a also a 2 month (plus balance of the current month) waiting period before coverage applies. This is from when you register not when you arrived.

Employer may also pay your premiums for you, mine does.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We noticed you were thinking of starting a family, What is the MPS like over there as my partner is on prescription meds, and we would really like to have more children. How does the MPS differ to the NHS? is it like Medicare?
I suppose you also need to look at daycare. My daughter was paying around $1200/month for one child but, now that she has two, they have a nanny instead. That must be cost driven as she's not from a culture of domestic servants.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

ChrissRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good, are there any good British groups over there. not to just huddle together but to discuss experiences, see how other british expats are doing, gain tips and advice?
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:11 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good, are there any good British groups over there. not to just huddle together but to discuss experiences, see how other british expats are doing, gain tips and advice?
Yes- it is called British Expats
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes- it is called British Expats
yea, we did one meet up late last year, maybe it is time for another?
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:27 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
yea, we did one meet up late last year, maybe it is time for another?
Ever the optimist
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose you also need to look at daycare. My daughter was paying around $1200/month for one child but, now that she has two, they have a nanny instead. That must be cost driven as she's not from a culture of domestic servants.
This. Child care is extremely difficult to find in Vancouver, especially for under 3s. Licensed daycare centres have waitlists 3-4 years long and the scramble to get places in an in-home daycare feels like a lottery everyone is desperate to win. Nanny or nanny share is the other alternative. All are very expensive (full-time infant care with a qualified caregiver seems to be in the $1260-$2200/month range in Vancouver). I think things are slightly better in surrounding cities e.g. Richmond, Burnaby, the tri-cities.

Child care is definitely something to factor in when doing your affordability calculations as housing and child care will both require a very large chunk of money each month. Also, child care may be even more expensive and hard to come by if you work outside regular weekday daytime hours.

There are Facebook groups for Vancouver childcare givers and seekers and British mums in Vancouver. A lot of smaller providers also post childcare vacancies on Craigslist.

If anyone reading this knows of a full-time infant (1 year old) childcare place for January 2018 in Vancouver, please let me know!

Cheers,
Adele

Last edited by adele; Aug 24th 2017 at 5:46 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
this is definitely something to factor in when doing your affordability calculations as housing and child care will both require a very large chunk of $ each month.
Computer person $45,000, Vet Tech $37,000 (using the numbers from above). That's $82,000.

After tax 57,400
Daycare 12,000
Rent 30,000

That leaves $1300/month for everything else. I would have to see light at the end of the tunnel before trying that.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's either a terrible waste of batteries or out in the open an arrestable offence .
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

British expats in Canada are awful things. The ones I meet seem to be a combination of Susie Sunshine and Norman Bates.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

ChrissRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yeah, that's true. We would definitely need daycare.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
As others have said whether you will enjoy Vancouver or not is all dependent on how much money you earn. For a 1 bed apartment expect to pay between 1500 and 2500 CAD a month so the salary is going to influence whether you are struggling or thriving.

Vancouver also has some of the lowest salaries of the big Canadian cities so it can be a double edged sword. That being said it is in a beautiful location, there are few places in the world were you get sea to mountains in a single vista and Vancouver is stunning. Unfortunately as others have said this has been attracting a lot of attention from property speculators and as such house prices have been soaring (think 10-20% year on year). This has led to some real inequality in the city with a huge homelessness problem and the associated low level crime and drug use.Most of this is confined to the low east side but it is obvious anywhere in the city. The city and provisional government (new NDP government) have only really started to change things very recently so we are realistically 3-4 years away from any true change.

I find people are friendly but not personable and the growing sense of the city as a playground for the rich has not helped this. many long term Vancouverites are feeling majornalised.

That said I enjoy the craft beer scene here as well as quick access to some of the worlds best kayaking and hiking locations. One real benefit is you are only 30-45 mins from the backcountry which feels like a million miles away from the city.

I think I heard it described best as Vancouver is an ok city in a great location. If you picked up Vancouver and moved it to say Alberta or Ontario people you not give it a second glance.

I've been here for a year and 9 months and still enjoy the city but there are some issues that seriously irk me and given a chance I would move out of the lower mainland.

I would love to pay 1,500 for a 1 bed, we pay 1,450/month for a studio in East Vancouver, when we were looking, couldn't find any 1 beds under 1,700/month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.