Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to vancouver

moving to vancouver

Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:00 am
Just Joined

nickmurphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking moving to vancouver

Hi everyone, im looking for some advice.
We have applied for immigration to canada, i fancy vancouver island or vancouver but have never been.
My husband is in construction/building so would like to know the chances of him getting a job there ?
We are a family with 2 kids, aged 12 and 8, what is life like in VI or Vancouver for kids?
Would love to chat to expats that live in either VI or vancouver for some advice.
What sort of property would we get for 1 million dollars in VI or vancouver itselfs?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:57 am
Just Joined

removalizer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to vancouver

Originally Posted by nickmurphy
We have applied for immigration to canada, i fancy vancouver island or vancouver but have never been.
My husband is in construction/building so would like to know the chances of him getting a job there ?
We are a family with 2 kids, aged 12 and 8, what is life like in VI or Vancouver for kids?
Would love to chat to expats that live in either VI or vancouver for some advice.
What sort of property would we get for 1 million dollars in VI or vancouver itselfs?
We have moved quite a few tradesmen to Canada, there is quite a high demand for them
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:49 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You'd get a very nice property for that value depending on the area you choose.

Your first step is to actually visit to make sure it's what you expect and want. Use that visit for arranged discussion between your husbands and potential employers.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

$1m would buy you a lot more on the island than it would in Vancouver.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

What el_richo said....

If you are going to spend $1m on a house then you really ought to do some due diligence and spend a few k on a visit first.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you are going to spend $1m on a house then you really ought to do some due diligence and spend a few k on a visit first.
If you buy a $1m home, find its a mistake and want to get rid of it, it could cost up to $28,000 in realty fees.

Rent first!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:07 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi,
You are talking about a pretty big area. Construction in Vancouver seems to be picking up judging from the new starts. I am a realtor and have been looking at new construction on behalf of a client - and there was no shortage of places beginning construction, particularly in North Vancouver. Our brokerage (Sotheby's) is also about to begin marketing a couple of new developments in Vancouver, so some more anecdotal evidence that construction is recovering.

I agree with others that a recce trip is pretty much essential. Much of my web site is designed to answer questions about living in BC, but nothing works better than a well planned research trip. Ideally you should make contact with potential employers or others in the industry before you come so that you can get the inside scoop.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If you buy a $1m home, find its a mistake and want to get rid of it, it could cost up to $28,000 in realty fees.

Rent first!
$28,000 is about half the going rate, innit?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

7% on the first $100,000 plus 2.5% on the balance is the standard real estate commission in BC. That said, it is very negotiable. A lot of realtors would go tor 7% + 2% giving $28,000 including taxes.