Reload this Page >

moving to Vancouver in 3 weeks- few questions

moving to Vancouver in 3 weeks- few questions

Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving to Vancouver in 3 weeks- few questions

Hiya Everyone,

Its been awhile since I last posted anything on the forum as I have spent the last 3 months looking for every excuse in the book not to move to Vancouver! Last minute nerves I think! Finally visited for a recce a few days ago determined to hate it and not only found a lovely apartment in New West (eventually and after losing the will to live) and some lovely furniture to fill it but also met my soon to be colleagues at the Royal Columbian Hospital and they were all just so lovely and extremely helpful! The transport is fantastic which was a relief as I am not a driver! It wasnt all good though my bank stopped my card 5 (!) times and I had to get money orders to pay rent/security as they dont accept credit/debit cards! Was that a hassle especially with no active card ha!

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions as I ran out of time to investigate things.

1) Does anyone know how long it takes Shaw to set up phone/internet (going with them as they dont have contracts!)
2) Im currently looking at either RBC or TD for accounts (cant get over the fee thing though!) and was wondering the best way of transfering my now very limited funds in? I have read all the blogs about banks etc and remain completely confused. Im sorry not processing info to well at mo! People have mentioned credit unions to has anyone any dealings with them at all?
3) Are there any food supermarkets that deliver to home at all?

Any advice would be so helpful! Im so nervous at the moment (and still looking for reasons to not go especially realizing how many family/friends I have here!). I think I will be crying all the way to my new life!

Thanks Kezza
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: moving to Vancouver in 3 weeks- few questions

to add...... i too am off to BC in a few weeks (but sadly only for a few weeks) but i need lots of cash, for rentals of this that and every other thing....

is there a vendor of currency exchange that i might not have initially thought of (high street bankers etc) who might offer a healthy rate of exchange for several thousand dollars?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

1) Does anyone know how long it takes Shaw to set up phone/internet (going with them as they dont have contracts!)
2) Im currently looking at either RBC or TD for accounts (cant get over the fee thing though!) and was wondering the best way of transfering my now very limited funds in? I have read all the blogs about banks etc and remain completely confused. Im sorry not processing info to well at mo! People have mentioned credit unions to has anyone any dealings with them at all?
1. We're with Shaw, they're pretty good, by and large. I think we had a guy out within a couple of days after we contacted them (we got the digital phone package as it offers cheap international calling, and that one requires the installation of a box).

2. Banking, we have just moved to TD - the lady gave us six months fee-free for moving our current accounts over from HSBC, so do ask for a sweetner, but even after that we find their operating fees to be pretty low compared to others. There is free banking via Credit Unions here, if that's important to you; we view the modest charges (we seem to spend less than ten bucks a month total, it seems, for three accounts) with TD as more than worth while for their accessbility (personal banking up until 8pm soon becomes a regular thing if you have a branch nearby!).

For funds transfer we used the broker HIFX. There are lots of options and it's a very competitive marketplace (lots of postings on this forum about brokers, so it's worth doing a search). The banks themselves are getting better these days, so take your time to compare rates as it can make a big difference.

3. Probably, although we've not used a service like that as yet. spud.ca deliver, I believe.

We find ourselves doing more shopping in local (i.e. walkable) shops and markets since moving here, a supermarket visit is relatively rare (although we do have a Safeway nearby), but that really depends on your area!

Congrats on your move!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezza708

Usually a day or two, though I just ordered an extra digital phone line for my home and they couldn't book a an appointment this week.

I have used Coast Capital Credit Union for business, and Jnr banks with them. Great people, I thoroughly recommend them.

Not that I know of. There are companies that deliver groceries but they tend to be very expensive.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

We, like JonboyE, bank with Coast Capital Credit Union. No fees, plenty of branches, very helpful staff and excellent on-line banking.

They also provide top-up insurance to the basic ICBC plan. We saved several hundred dollars and they recognised all our UK no claims. I realise the OP is not a driver but thought the info might help other posters.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
to add...... i too am off to BC in a few weeks (but sadly only for a few weeks) but i need lots of cash, for rentals of this that and every other thing....

is there a vendor of currency exchange that i might not have initially thought of (high street bankers etc) who might offer a healthy rate of exchange for several thousand dollars?
Do you have a canadian bank account - if yes then you can just use any of the money dealers (money corp etc).
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Do you have a canadian bank account - if yes then you can just use any of the money dealers (money corp etc).
You really should tell you Credit/Debit Card issuer that you will be using the cards in Canada, that way you won't run into the problem that the OP had with cards being stopped.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You really should tell you Credit/Debit Card issuer that you will be using the cards in Canada, that way you won't run into the problem that the OP had with cards being stopped.
I know several people that have this problem despite telling the bank that. In one extreme example somebody I knew who came for six weeks had to phone the UK bank in EVERY WEEK to tell them to unlock the cards cos they kept blocking it despite them telling the bank they were in Canada over and over again.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:49 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kezza708
Hiya Everyone,

Its been awhile since I last posted anything on the forum as I have spent the last 3 months looking for every excuse in the book not to move to Vancouver! Last minute nerves I think! Finally visited for a recce a few days ago determined to hate it and not only found a lovely apartment in New West (eventually and after losing the will to live) and some lovely furniture to fill it but also met my soon to be colleagues at the Royal Columbian Hospital and they were all just so lovely and extremely helpful! The transport is fantastic which was a relief as I am not a driver! It wasnt all good though my bank stopped my card 5 (!) times and I had to get money orders to pay rent/security as they dont accept credit/debit cards! Was that a hassle especially with no active card ha!

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions as I ran out of time to investigate things.

Any advice would be so helpful! Im so nervous at the moment (and still looking for reasons to not go especially realizing how many family/friends I have here!). I think I will be crying all the way to my new life!

Thanks Kezza
Not much to add. Shaw are good - don't go with telus they suck.

If you can live with totally online banking then ING Direct or Presidents Choice are 100 percent free banking. President's choice allows the use of CIBC atm's at no cost.

I think all the major supermarkets deliver for a reasonable fee. However, more people tend to shop as they go here rather than than the big massive shop like in the uk.

Welcome to Vancouver.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:46 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thrifty Foods deliver.

http://www.thriftyfoods.com/EN/main/...-delivery.html
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
i have not yet opened a canadian account. none of them will let me, until i show up to one of their branches over there, with a half a dozen forms of ID.

kind of annoying and is one of the things i intend to do during our recce trip next month. in the meantime, it seems i will have to suffer a currency exchange based upon high street tourist rates.

not the cheapest way of buying $2k it would seem

oh and hopefully my credit card companies will not block my cards..... i have managed okay thus far, even when travelling to and around asia / africa and canada previously....
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:16 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Thrifty's and Shaw (TELUS is the devil). We're with RBC, no complaints.

As a patient's mum I've had good experiences at the Royal.

Welcome to Vancouver
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone! I will check out all the advice that you have sent!

Old May 18th 2009, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Melmouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
kind of annoying and is one of the things i intend to do during our recce trip next month. in the meantime, it seems i will have to suffer a currency exchange based upon high street tourist rates.
Go to the Nationwide Building Society in the UK and ask them about their debit card... withdrawing money in Canada... the rate used and any extra fees. If I am correct it used to be free and now they charge 1%. I believe the exchange rate used is the wholesale one, not tourist rate. The 1% charge is still better than that built into the tourist rate.

At least that has been my experience withdrawing money here in Brazil.

Also search the internet because I think there still are one or two that are totally free.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:37 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

As well as spud.ca a number of little local shops- eg Santa Barbara on The Drive, will deliver later if you go in and do the shopping . . .

and welcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.