Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is moving from the UK really worth it?!

Is moving from the UK really worth it?!

Old Oct 4th 2019, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is moving from the UK really worth it?!

You've had lots of good advice about the things to take into account in making your decision. I'd only add at 32, you've plenty of years left to keep working, and if you can swing a career break, and also as you own property in the UK and have a "tether" there so to speak, you'll have a safety net if you decide Canada is not for you after having spent some time here. I made a move from Australia to the UK at 32 and it turned out to be one of the best things I did in my life. That move put a rocket under my career which enjoyed a non-stop upwards trajectory until I retired at the end of last year (and then moved to Canada). My move between countries also gave me many interesting adventures, and new friends on the other side of the world whom I'm still close to and see as often as I can.

I'm on a Canada high at the moment. We've just enjoyed a spectacular summer in Vancouver, and are currently travelling the Maritimes (which are amazing and gorgeous if you're a traveller - I gather things are different if you're young and looking for work and career opportunities).

With a plucky spirit and acceptance that you will face plenty of challenges along the way, moving countries is a great life adventure. It isn't for everyone, but if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend it.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelVan
With a plucky spirit and acceptance that you will face plenty of challenges along the way, moving countries is a great life adventure. It isn't for everyone, but if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend it.
This is the key. Attitude is a big factor. You have to want to make the move, have a positive outlook and a determination to get over the inevitable bumps in the road. If you are one of those people who expects things to be just like they are back home, then you are not going to do well. I made big moves at 24 (UK to Canada with no kids), 31 (Canada to UK with 2 pre-school kids) and 33 (UK to US with 3 pre-school kids). For me, the pros always outweighed the cons and I could see exactly why I wanted to move. My concern is that the OP has a good life in the UK and is struggling to see the benefits of a move. That should be a red flag IMHO.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
This is the key. Attitude is a big factor. You have to want to make the move, have a positive outlook and a determination to get over the inevitable bumps in the road. If you are one of those people who expects things to be just like they are back home, then you are not going to do well. I made big moves at 24 (UK to Canada with no kids), 31 (Canada to UK with 2 pre-school kids) and 33 (UK to US with 3 pre-school kids). For me, the pros always outweighed the cons and I could see exactly why I wanted to move. My concern is that the OP has a good life in the UK and is struggling to see the benefits of a move. That should be a red flag IMHO.
Agree 100%
Old Oct 4th 2019, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
This may seem an odd post given that many are on this forum who are set on moving or have already moved.

We have had PR for some time but still live in the UK. We lived and travelled through Canada when we were younger on a working holiday and loved it. Since then we have settled, have a house and jobs with good pensions and benefits (the main one being 27 days leave).

Having the niggling feeling to go back, we applied for PR and got it due to my wife's occupation. We intend to rent our current house out. My wife has been offered a role after a lot of skype interviews and it is at much a better wage than she is on now. However, when drilling down to the nitty gritty, with the extra rental rates and bills in the location it is based we will probably come out almost the same in terms of disposable income and I would then need to find a role at a reduced pay rate from my current role as it is not easily transferrable as an occupation.

Having read through the job offer, there is no pension and leave is a lot less. We are in a VERY lucky position where we now get to choose and thankfully we have such a good life at the moment when it comes down to it, we are struggling to see the actual benefits on moving, other than the excitement of it all and the opportunity to try something new.

​​​Its a huge leap of faith which could be amazing and open up doors or we could regret the move and look back at how good we had it in the UK. It is niggling at us as to whether we are making the right decison on spending lots and lots to move over.

Has anyone else been in the same situation?
I'm sure many of us going through the process feel like this, how did you work through it?
​​​
Just sharing my thoughts and would welcome any advice!

One of the ( few but important ) issues you will encounter:

- Car insurance, be aware that your no claims bonus from the UK is not accepted and you might have to pay a fortune for your first car insurance in Canada. ( I've been quoted anything from CAD 2000 to CAD 6000, depending on province)
- You will have to buy a car, most likely two, one for your wife, again, same issue with car insurance. A car is often a must, as distances are way bigger than in the UK.
- Annual vacation days in employment in Canada are often very few. Often als low as 10 days, sometimes 15 days. Yes there are some statutory holidays, but so there are in the UK
- there are lot's of jobs where hourly wages are the norm and hire and fire can happen from one day to the next.
- The cost of living tends to be higher especially food prices as well as internet and also domestic flights.
- Canadians are very friendly, but behind the scenes it's same as everywhere else. Remember you're a newcomer, you'll be lacking a got network, and friendliness alone doesn't really do it.
- Canadians can be a bit shallow, but will accept you if you don't speak too much about experiences you've had outside of Canada, no matter if it's work related or personal.
- Canada sometimes feels like a boring and quiet place, often a bit anonymous and distant, even though authorities tend to be more realistic and welcoming to newcomers than in other countries.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Oct 4th 2019 at 7:45 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2019, 5:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Umm not quite right - No claims can be accepted if you have supporting evidence and approach the right companies, there are a few mentioned often on BE - and many threads - also a mention or two in the wiki https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ..._Topics-Canada

There is decent public transit in many cities precluding having to have a car - if you want one for a quick trip or a weekend away you can rent one, car share or get a taxi.. like thousands do!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 5th 2019 at 5:58 am.
Old Oct 5th 2019, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Umm not quite right - No claims can be accepted if you have supporting evidence and approach the right companies, there are a few mentioned often on BE - and many threads - also a mention or two in the wiki https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ..._Topics-Canada

There is decent public transit in many cities precluding having to have a car - if you want one for a quick trip or a weekend away you can rent one, car share or get a taxi.. like thousands do!

At least the bus network is surprisingly good in Toronto, I must say.

The link you send me, seems to concern more BC regarding car insurance.

I haven't found anybody in Ontario who would accept or partially accept a european no claims bonus from an EU country. It's really not that easy.
Old Oct 5th 2019, 3:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
At least the bus network is surprisingly good in Toronto, I must say.

The link you send me, seems to concern more BC regarding car insurance.

I haven't found anybody in Ontario who would accept or partially accept a european no claims bonus from an EU country. It's really not that easy.
It wasn't sent to you specifically

In order to get the discount you have to supply very specifically worded letters from your former insurance companies.. the link I gave had details of what you need to supply (on the BC wiki article) - basically you need to show that you made no claims and had no accidents to get the discount. You say "EU" - but which country - most of the people here were using their no claims history from the UK.

Johnson accept UK history - https://www1.johnson.ca/ as shown by this post: car insurance

as do TD melochemonnex https://www.tdinsurance.com/melochemonnex
Old Oct 5th 2019, 6:46 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I will offer a perspective from someone who has been here a few years now in Canada.
If you don't come over, then you will always be wondering what you have missed. Then again, you may regret coming over if you might miss your homeland too much.
If you have close relatives still in the UK, especially parents, you will see them maybe once a year or so after moving and will grow more distant as you each live your own separate lives. Skype communications will not solve this.
What about when those relatives get old and less capable of looking after themselves and you yourself are much older and it's harder to move back to be with them?
How about coming over to Canada with the intention of staying for 5 years, get your Canadian citizenship, then re-evaluate after that time when you are then able to stay in either country? Depends upon a lot of your circumstances though.
Saying that, we have had a great time in Canada and have quite a good life, probably better than we could have had in Europe. Canadians are generally quite friendly and easy to get on with. 10 or 15 days' paid vacation sucks a bit, but you get to accept it.
Old Oct 6th 2019, 12:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
- there are lot's of jobs where hourly wages are the norm and hire and fire can happen from one day to the next..
I work on this basis. I get paid for an hour worked and nothing else. No benefits, no payment for time not worked. Unlimited, unpaid vacation. A simple arrangement. It becomes usual and I wouldn't now be able to handle a paid vacation day or statutory holiday, it would seem like cheating.
Old Oct 6th 2019, 2:53 am
Just Joined

whytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond repute

I moved my family to Okotoks 3 years ago from Newcastle UK,

I was on more money in the UK, but I consider that the "new Canadian discount" which I'm hoping to erode. Saying that, I'm able to support my wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs in a 2000 sqft house with an excellent standard of living here and things only look to get better.

The education system is better here, the people are nicer, the weather amazingly better during the summer, and the snow sports etc in the winter makes up for the cold.

I'd 100% recommend making the move, but only if you have the right mentality. We think Canada is infinitely better than the UK, and our attitude reflects that, Canadians are attracted to that and so we have made many many friends and enjoy life. If you cling to the idea of the UK and can't let go of the few things that are better there, then you will probably fail here. Cheese and wine suck here, seriously. The cost of living is easily higher, hey can't grow much here so most food is imported, its expensive and when you buy it, it has to be used within days. The standard of driving (sorry canadians) is terrible, our learners are like their most experienced, insurance rates reflect this - it has nothing to do with adverse weather conditions like they try tell you, they just can't drive.If you can live with that, the rest is brilliant, life changing.

Do it.

Old Oct 11th 2019, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Well, thank you all.

This whole experience has made us realise how good we have it here in the UK. Jobs with good benefits and leave, good pension, lowish mortgage (compared to rent in Canada), good healthcare, very reasonable expenses like phones, cars, insurance etc. We also live in a very safe quiet part of the UK which is also a bonus. After really analysing what you actually get in Canada compare to the UK, I have a much positive viewpoint of the UK and we really don't realise how good we have it!!

Thanks all.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
Well, thank you all.

This whole experience has made us realise how good we have it here in the UK. Jobs with good benefits and leave, good pension, lowish mortgage (compared to rent in Canada), good healthcare, very reasonable expenses like phones, cars, insurance etc. We also live in a very safe quiet part of the UK which is also a bonus. After really analysing what you actually get in Canada compare to the UK, I have a much positive viewpoint of the UK and we really don't realise how good we have it!!

Thanks all.
I miss the UK a great deal, best work and life I have had. I took my wife to live there but sadly she couldn't cope with the move, or my extended family, and rapidly slid into a debilitating depression. I am not fond of living in Australia but it was the devil I knew so we pulled the pin on the UK and moved back. Been back 4 years and thankfully now my wife is finally fed up with Australia also and we both have settled on the notion and are quite excited to move to Edmonton Alberta. The -30 will be a bit of a challenging but I think it's doable. Maybe she'll freeze enough to allow me to suggest the south of the UK is much milder, care to give it another go??? God forbid she leave this earth before me but it did happen I would be back in the UK before she was even cold. LOL

Last edited by sun burnt in aus; Oct 13th 2019 at 7:38 am.