Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

Old May 20th 2018, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

Hi

I am looking for some info on family incomes for those living in Calgary.

We are a family of 4 (kids 6 & 3), live in one of Scotland's cities. 1 of us works FT and the other PT, we use full time child care twice a week. Our current UK joint income is £50k and we manage on that pretty well, bills are paid, kids activities are paid, holiday abroad once a year, I would say we didn't want for anything. House is worth about $300-310k and hold about 50% equity in that. Cars would be paid outright in Canada so no loan, and we would arrive debt free.

I am just wondering what a comparable income would be in Calgary, I have a potential job offer which I expect to be $65-70k ( I am a citizen). Online calculator and having a google suggests $85k would be a similar income to our £50k.

I had originally had in my head that $100k would be more likely. Would going with a rule of thumb of x 1.75 be a approx guide?

Thanks

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 21st 2018 at 10:36 am.
Old May 20th 2018, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default re: Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

Just to note when I say my house valuation I meant £ not $ so £300-310k
Old May 21st 2018, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparable UK salary vs Calgary

What line of work are you in ,in Scotland?
Old May 21st 2018, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, I am a qualified Paralegal

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 22nd 2018 at 8:36 am. Reason: At request of OP
Old May 21st 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samb29
Hi, I am a qualified Senior Personal Injury Paralegal
Im a truck driver and I get about $65,000 so I would think you can earn more than that because with 2 young children and wife at home looking after them you will need to be earning more.Are you thinking of buying a house with profit from house in Scotland?
Old May 21st 2018, 4:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am looking for some info on family incomes for those living in Calgary.

We are a family of 4 (kids 6 & 3), live in one of Scotland's cities. 1 of us works FT and the other PT, we use full time child care twice a week. Our current UK joint income is £50k and we manage on that pretty well, bills are paid, kids activities are paid, holiday abroad once a year, I would say we didn't want for anything. House is worth about $300-310k and hold about 50% equity in that. Cars would be paid outright in Canada so no loan, and we would arrive debt free.

I am just wondering what a comparable income would be in Calgary, I have a potential job offer which I expect to be $65-70k ( I am a citizen). Online calculator and having a google suggests $85k would be a similar income to our £50k.

I had originally had in my head that $100k would be more likely. Would going with a rule of thumb of x 1.75 be a approx guide?

Thanks
Why compare? It is what it is, changes with the FX and is pretty meaningless really. 20 years ago, £50000 was $120000 CAD, now it is $80000 to $85000. Total cost of living minus income (in Canada) is the measure. Whatever it is in the UK matters not if you are in Canada. If this is a deciding factor in immigration, maybe immigration is not such a good idea?
Old May 21st 2018, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Im a truck driver and I get about $65,000 so I would think you can earn more than that because with 2 young children and wife at home looking after them you will need to be earning more.Are you thinking of buying a house with profit from house in Scotland?
my potential offer would be $70k with experience and time I would hope to achieve more yes.

The plan would be for my husband to work PT 2 days a week to bring the household income up.

we are aiming to achieve a similar standard as we have in the uk. I would expect the household income to be $90-100k which I hope could provide similar to what we live like now.

my budgeting is
£14k top up salary for 1st year
£15k savings, safety net for the other things
£15k car
£3k shipping
£1-2k visas
£100k house deposit (hopefully more but working on House valuation sale, but things are going fot
above)
parents paying flights out

if the job job offer is not there then we would not be looking to move just now.

i can’t see more than 90-100k income coming in not for the first few years anyway, but we mange good in the Uk just now so if the salary is in comparison the fingers crossed it can work
Old May 21st 2018, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I would be amazed if a paralegal could command a salary of $70,000 in Calgary at the moment.

I wasn't able to earn that until I became an articling student and, even then, I was earning more than most 1st year associates in large downtown firms simply because of my prior legal experience.

If you have already received such an offer, I would accept it with both hands as soon as possible as there are lots of lawyers that would love to find such a position in the current economic climate in Calgary.
Old May 21st 2018, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think with $90K to $100K you be will ok.My wife and I rent a small apt. as we do not want a mortgage,we dont have any dependants ,my son is 28,my wife works part time and we can save money for holidays etc.I owned a house in Winnipeg and the mortgage wasnt a problem ,it was the other bills I struggled with,the property tax,insurances,cable TV,telephone,heating,you need to heat your home all winter especially in Winnipeg and water is metered.So may I suggest if you are thinking of buying a house,start off with a small house ,I know can be difficult with 2 children,then when you are earning more income get a bigger place.
What made you think of moving to Calgary?
Old May 22nd 2018, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

We would be looking to rent first but to buy 3/4 bed house at $400-500k. We looked at Toronto and Vancouver being the original first choice but were soon shot down on house prices, Calgary was more favorable for the housing market. Calgary was also where I received a lot of job interest so it seemed a good a choice as any to consecrate on.

I would say it is also going to be more comparable to our cost of living in the UK.
Old May 22nd 2018, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would be amazed if a paralegal could command a salary of $70,000 in Calgary at the moment.

I wasn't able to earn that until I became an articling student and, even then, I was earning more than most 1st year associates in large downtown firms simply because of my prior legal experience.

If you have already received such an offer, I would accept it with both hands as soon as possible as there are lots of lawyers that would love to find such a position in the current economic climate in Calgary.
According to the Jobbank salary data, $26.00ph is the average for a paralegal in Calgary. Assuming a 40 hour week, that's around $54k annually. So OP got to say I agree with AC, if you've been offered $70k then grab it!
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
According to the Jobbank salary data, $26.00ph is the average for a paralegal in Calgary. Assuming a 40 hour week, that's around $54k annually. So OP got to say I agree with AC, if you've been offered $70k then grab it!
Most roles I have had interest in have been around $60-65k. It is only a potential offer and not concluded but the $60k is comparable with my UK salary (although its 35hrs a week).

If no job offer comes then we wouldn't make the move, and $65k would really be the min amount I could consider to make the move even manageable
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

We would be looking to rent first but to buy 3/4 bed house at $400-500k. We looked at Toronto and Vancouver being the original first choice but were soon shot down on house prices, Calgary was more favorable for the housing market. Calgary was also where I received a lot of job interest so it seemed a good a choice as any to consecrate on.

I would say it is also going to be more comparable to our cost of living in the UK.
You can get a newly built 3 bedroom house for less than $500K, around $300K,I have seen new townhouses 3 bed with 2 car garage advertised at $200K + in NW.
Calgary is a nice city, clean,lots to do now the snow has gone!
Old May 23rd 2018, 5:06 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen new townhouses 3 bed with 2 car garage advertised at $200K + in NW.
Care to share any examples? You can barely get a 40 year old 3bd townhouse for that money in the NW.
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

You can get a newly built 3 bedroom house for less than $500K, around $300K,I have seen new townhouses 3 bed with 2 car garage advertised at $200K + in NW.
Calgary is a nice city, clean,lots to do now the snow has gone!
We were looking NW but the prices were $400-500k for a 4 bed decent sizes house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.