Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto soon, what the story on TV and RADIO

Moving to Toronto soon, what the story on TV and RADIO

Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of
Default Moving to Toronto soon, what the story on TV and RADIO

What options do you have for getting TV, it looks like you can only watch TV if you pay for it, is this true?

Or is their a system like our "Freeview" that we have in the UK?

My wife (already out in Toronto) has Rogers but most of the channels look rubbish.

Is it true you are locked into the service, even to the point that you need to pay for a box to watch TV in more than one room with more than one TV?

Is their anyway to get UK TV Feed over, how about satellite or is it too far away to bounce the signal.

It looks like you can not pick up DAB Radio in Canada, only some sort of satellite radio that you subscribe to and pay for..... is DAB Coming to Canada, it seems such a easy and better way to transmit radio?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto soon, what the story on TV and RADIO

Originally Posted by Raymate
What options do you have for getting TV, it looks like you can only watch TV if you pay for it, is this true?
No. We get free TV through a technology called "rabbit ears".

My wife (already out in Toronto) has Rogers but most of the channels look rubbish.
Yes. It's rubbish. Most of the images transmitted are adverts and the few programs make no sense whatsoever. Furthermore they all feature the same half a dozen actors and actresses, the whinny woman from Corner Gas is the whinny woman in Robson Arms. (Two shows requiring a huge spliff in order to make any sense). I expect she was blacked up to whine in Little Mosque on the Prarie.

otoh, Canadian Idol makes you appreciate the quality and personal class of singers like Britney Spears.

It looks like you can not pick up DAB Radio in Canada, only some sort of satellite radio that you subscribe to and pay for..... is DAB Coming to Canada, it seems such a easy and better way to transmit radio?
Dunno. I have a satellite radio and pay to get the BBC in the car.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't pay, I've got an aerial up on the roof and a rotator thingy so I can turn it round to point towards different transmitters. Admittedly I'm in a better location than you for picking up multiple over-the-air channels, but no doubt there are some you could get that way. I think I have 25, some duplicates for Detroit/Toledo.

No, but some of the stuff I get is HD over the air (American). And my TV has a built-in TV Guide thingy, so it has that Sky/Freeview/cable feel when I'm watching it. And it's free.

Is it true you are locked into the service, even to the point that you need to pay for a box to watch TV in more than one room with more than one TV?
For an extra digital box yes, for extra analog hook-ups no, they'll connect whatever you want (or Shaw did for us at least).

Is their anyway to get UK TV Feed over, how about satellite or is it too far away to bounce the signal.
A lot of UK stuff is available on the internet.

I recently got XM satellite radio in the car, I doubt I'll pay for it when my free 3mths is up but it's not too bad in general. I think the other provider (Sirius) carries Radio 1, and that might swing it for you.

Here's some DAB info, I won't pretend to understand any of it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...casting#Canada
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In Vancouver there are a few broadcast channels - CBC, Radio Canada, CTV and Global, maybe one or two more. You can get these for free with a set-top aerial but reception may not be great. Other than this you have to subscribe to either a cable or satellite provider.

The basic cable package of 28 channels is about $30 a month. You can add on bundles of channels as you wish. For cable, the analogue channels do not need a decoder, you just plug the TV into the wall. For digital channels you need to buy or rent a decoder from the cable company. I have an old one and it will only power one TV at a time. Although I can run 4 TVs in the house I can only receive digital channels on one. I think the newer decoders (and satellite decoders) can operate more than one TV at a time.

There is some good TV in Canada but it is spread among so many channels that it can be hard to track down. There is certainly plenty of rubbish. You can subscribe to BBC North America if you wish, otherwise the best bet for quality British programs are the Public Broadcasting Service channels.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:02 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

PBS all the way if you have to watch TV, but Jesus man; try going for a walk / bike ride before the weather means you'll be unable to.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:50 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Any TV is an improvement over the rubbish served in the U.K, would you like to watch cricket or cricket?

I have a Satellite, over 150 Channels, mainly watch the Business Channel.

Next stop, 62 inch Big Screen
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Any TV is an improvement over the rubbish served in the U.K, would you like to watch cricket or cricket?

A bigger screen's not going to improve the content though, is it? It seems a bit pointless (unless you can get the cricket somehow).
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:11 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

On what basis, Howard, do you dismiss UK television as "rubbish"?

Can you cite one single occasion on which cricket coverage has been available on more than one channel simultaneously?

If you mainly watch the Business Channel, why do you subscribe to a service which offers you 149 other channels you don't watch much?

What do you mean by the Business Channel - do you mean BNN, formerly known as ROB TV?

What advantages will a 62 inch screen offer you for watching the business channel?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:28 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I am buying a 62 inch screen because I can, and Yes, ROB, CNBC, the new FOX Channel, and besides, the room it is going in sooooo large, it needs it.

I visit the U.K routinely, TV there is CRAP, boring, nothing, the people are forced to go binge drinking at Pubs as an alternative.

I also have a large collection of DVD's, so we pick and choose what we watch.

Raptors, Bills, Blue Jays, what more could you want?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Raptors, Bills, Blue Jays, what more could you want?
Cricket.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Moving to Toronto soon, what the story on TV and RADIO

[QUOTE=Biiiiink;5298801]

A lot of UK stuff is available on the internet.

What about UK soaps, X-Factor, Holby, Casualty, Dr Who???

It might be a long winter without them -

We are due over end of October; just in time for some snow?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:54 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=manghams;5299485]
Originally Posted by Biiiiink

We are due over end of October; just in time for some snow?
Holby City you're having a laugh. Go ski-ing.

Sheesshhh.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Moving to Toronto soon, what the story on TV and RADIO

[QUOTE=geo4;5299568]
Originally Posted by manghams

Holby City you're having a laugh. Go ski-ing.

Sheesshhh.
Love to - but when I break a leg/arm both will need to watch TV.
lol
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Like was mentioned earlier you can watch tv over the net. I too will miss Dr Who and thats about it, and hard as it sounds we haven't had a tv for nearly 2 years - it kills conversation and I don't want to be vegged out in front of it when theres a life to lead (obviously aside from vegging out in front of the pc 24 / 7 )

But try this website its amazing, people have uploaded loaaaads of film, tv shows, cartoons etc www.alluc.org and you don't need a license as its not 'live' tv. Some great documentaries and as people keep adding to the content you will always keep up with whats on.

You tube is always good but as most vids are kept to a 10 minute maximum some shows / films will be in several parts!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I too will miss Dr Who and thats about it.
No worries then. Dr Who is on CBC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.