Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to toronto - is this salary enough?

moving to toronto - is this salary enough?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

bobosanman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to toronto - is this salary enough?

Originally Posted by gotoronto
Agreed with the fun factor - I don't think there is much scope for going out and spending tons of money. But you can get by on it if you don't have expensive habits. Probably more a student-type of lifestyle.
The way I am calculating things I should be able to do quite a bit better than just getting by. With 3350 after tax I just don't see how that will be so bad if my only requirements is are a cheap place downtown with a parking spot.
I don't have car or student loans, I don't want to live in fancy place and my company will be paying for my phone and for transportation to clients. Also to put things in perspective - this is my second year of employment out of school.

Even if I am paying 1500 for a room, 300 for car insurance, 200 for a parking spot, 800 for food and 500 for utilities, I am still braking even. And this seems a very very very generous allowance to me. Here in Philadelphia with the same salary I have been able to save close to 50% of my paycheck ( 1500 out of 3200 ) and I have been living a great life (still a bit student-ish but not tight by any means) with a car (paid), car insurance (1500 py), rent (800 pm), utilities (100 pm), cell phone (50 pm) and going out to eat and drink (reasonable places) whenever I feel like. Is Toronto really twice as expensive as Philadelphia??
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobosanman
my only requirements is are a cheap place downtown with a parking spot.
Thats an oxymoron, if it has parking, then its expensive. People live downtown so they dont need to keep a car...thats sort of the whole point

I. Is Toronto really twice as expensive as Philadelphia??
Couldnt say, but its expensive by Canadian standards.

Seems like you have done your budget, so good luck. Doesnt seem like this would be a long term thing for you? If it is then you have to start figuring out stuff like buying a place rather than renting, and saving for retirement and all that other boring middle aged shit...that shifts the goalposts.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 28th 2008 at 8:43 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:37 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

The way I am calculating things I should be able to do quite a bit better than just getting by. With 3350 after tax I just don't see how that will be so bad if my only requirements is are a cheap place downtown with a parking spot.
I don't have car or student loans, I don't want to live in fancy place and my company will be paying for my phone and for transportation to clients. Also to put things in perspective - this is my second year of employment out of school.

Even if I am paying 1500 for a room, 300 for car insurance, 200 for a parking spot, 800 for food and 500 for utilities, I am still braking even. And this seems a very very very generous allowance to me. Here in Philadelphia with the same salary I have been able to save close to 50% of my paycheck ( 1500 out of 3200 ) and I have been living a great life (still a bit student-ish but not tight by any means) with a car (paid), car insurance (1500 py), rent (800 pm), utilities (100 pm), cell phone (50 pm) and going out to eat and drink (reasonable places) whenever I feel like. Is Toronto really twice as expensive as Philadelphia??
I can't comment on Philly... . I doubt it is twice as expensive, though you'd probably be better of venturing a bit out of downtown. I simply cannot see you saving that kind of money here. I think you would just about break even on the lifestyle you described.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats an oxymoron, if it has parking, then its expensive. People live downtown so they dont need to keep a car...thats sort of the whole point
Couldnt say, but its expensive by Canadian standards.

Seems like you have done your budget, so good luck. Doesnt seem like this would be a long term thing for you? If it is then you have to start figuring out stuff like buying a place rather than renting, and saving for retirement and all that other boring middle aged shit...that shifts the goalposts.
I'm thinking about it as a one-two year gig. Perhaps long term if I really enjoy living in Toronto. As of now I am not at all interested purchasing a house but I am concerned about saving - these days you never know what will happen a year from now.

I see the predicament about having a car downtown, I didn't think about it as here I just park on the street for free. My office will be located not far from Union Station downtown. Is the area to the east of downtown any good? Basically, in the vicinity of the downtown area is there any neighborhood I should look into (or avoid looking into)?

Thank you all for your help!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I am not looking forward to buying lots of furniture - I will be needing a bed, a chair and a desk. Any ideas where these items can be purchases cheaply and hassle free?
Rent a pickup on trash day. Drive through Rosedale, Forest Hill, Bayview Villiage, Yonge/Eglinton neighborhoods.

More seriously, I daresay you will find downtown Toronto significantly more expensive than downtown Philly. A cheap place with parking? Likely to be a dump, but you could get lucky. That salary is certainly enough to live on, but you won't have a lot left over.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the area to the east of downtown any good?
Immediately east no, Queen and Sherbourne may be the roughest corner in the city; lots of crack, lots of shelters. That said, my daughter works shifts there, coming and going at all hours, and isn't dead yet.

A bit beyond that, as far as the DVP, mixed, colourful but not rough (excepting the so up itself Gooderam and Worts warehouse). Beyond that, Leslieville, one of those areas that's never going to gentrify but more expensive than farther in. Beyond that the Beach, expensive - no parking at all.

Assuming your car's a beater I'd get a pass for the Monoxide Towers (2 Church Street) so as to leave it near work and get home by feet/ttc. Be warned though, I parked there for years and had a sign on the car "Doors Unlocked Please Don't Break Glass" and still had to buy a window a month.

I think this is an accurate guide to neighbourhoods in Toronto:

http://boldts.net/Toronto.shtml
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all

I know that the discussion has moved on a bit, but I found a Canadian Tax calculator that might come in handy:

http://www.ey.com/GLOBAL/content.nsf...8_Personal_Tax
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I see the predicament about having a car downtown, I didn't think about it as here I just park on the street for free. My office will be located not far from Union Station downtown. Is the area to the east of downtown any good? Basically, in the vicinity of the downtown area is there any neighborhood I should look into (or avoid looking into)?

Thank you all for your help!
If you'll be working near Union Station and want to live downtown, why on earth would you want to own a car?

You'll be much happier with the occasional rental or joining a share scheme like this one.... http://www.autoshare.com/

Easier on the planet as well.

Novo
Old Sep 1st 2008, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If you'll be working near Union Station and want to live downtown, why on earth would you want to own a car?

You'll be much happier with the occasional rental or joining a share scheme like this one.... http://www.autoshare.com/

Easier on the planet as well.

Novo
Having a car is one of the job requirements. If I am lucky all my clients will be in the financial district so I won't have to use it much - so in a sense I am trying to minimize the use of the car by being downtown. From me research parking seems to be around 100 so that won't be a huge problem. From what I hear, however, insurance will really hurt bad.