Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto, need advice on neighbourhoods

Wikiposts

Moving to Toronto, need advice on neighbourhoods

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto, need advice on neighbourhoods

Originally Posted by Lvh76
Oh dear, this thread just keeps causing offence.

Look, I'm not a snob, I love the area we've chosen. I don't think it's comparable to Blackpool.
Wasaga Beach is the nearest place comparable to Blackpool.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's quite close to Barrie isn't it? How long would it take for me, and the 8 kids to get there by quad bike?
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have as many chippys and curry takeouts as Blackpool does?
Can you go for a donkey ride?
Does it have a Madame Tussauds?
During Glasgow fortnight are there as many drunken Glaswegians pissing and throwing up in doorways or hotel lobbies?
Has it got 3 piers like Blackpool does?
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
During Glasgow fortnight are there as many drunken Glaswegians pissing and throwing up in doorways or hotel lobbies?
Hey! I resemble that remark.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Hey! I resemble that remark.
Sorry sometimes the truth hurts
I remember in the 70s Blackpool played Celtic in a friendly during Glasgow fortnight what a complete shambles the town was.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's quite close to Barrie isn't it? How long would it take for me, and the 8 kids to get there by quad bike?
I don't think thety have bicycles for four up there, I've only seen them on the Toronto island. I suppose it's 20 minutes by car.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

Does it have as many chippys and curry takeouts as Blackpool does?
It has many, how many are there in Blackpool?

Can you go for a donkey ride?
Yes, but they're tethered to a post, it's not as exciting as a traditional beach donkey ride.

Does it have a Madame Tussauds?
No idea.

Many people piss and throw up in public each weekend. I don't know how many are from Scotland.

Has it got 3 piers like Blackpool does?
I don't know of a pier. It has a strip for the parading of muscle cars and a fun fair with lots of men who ride motorcycles and don't smell very good.

It's chavtastic but, due to the weather, not as Spring Breaky as, say, Lake Havasu City.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Sorry sometimes the truth hurts
I remember in the 70s Blackpool played Celtic in a friendly during Glasgow fortnight what a complete shambles the town was.
Spent many September long weekends there. The illuminations and a couple of shandys. Great times.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

I don't think thety have bicycles for four up there, I've only seen them on the Toronto island. I suppose it's 20 minutes by car.
Ok! You're taking the piss, I forgot it's called an "ATV" over there.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

Ok! You're taking the piss, I forgot it's called an "ATV" over there.
Oh, those noisy polluting things people use to destroy the landscape. I don't think people go anywhere on them, they truck them to public parks, plough up the earth with them and take them home. They're about as wanky as jetskis.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Spent many September long weekends there. The illuminations and a couple of shandys. Great times.
A couple of shandys?????? Are you sure you are Scottish?
Normally shandys are drunk by the folk south of Birmingham who cant manage the alcohol content of a full bloodied pint
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that, if you're in America, you can use whichever expression you like. If you're in Toronto and an estate agent you will use the plural so as to be able to include Scarborough and parts of East York. If, otoh, you're at the bar at the Balmy Beach Club, you'll want to go singular. You will note that no one has a custom license plate or window sticker that uses the plural. Mind, I can't think of anywhere else where people feel compelled to so overtly advertise their address, you don't see cars marked Islington (or Islingtons).
As I said, I've heard singular and plural in Toronto inside and outside of the area. As I also said, even residents of the area only just (58%) voted in favour of the singular in a poll. A large proportion of people in the area still refer to it as "The Beaches". I often stay with friends who have lived there for the last 22 years and they know many residents who hate the singular and the bumper stickers.

I agree that realtors will always use tricks to try to associate somewhere with a more desirable area e.g. I've heard them use the term "Upper Beaches".

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 3rd 2012 at 3:53 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I often stay with friends who have lived there for the last 22 years and they know many residents who hate the singular and the bumper stickers.
Inverted snobbery, an attempt at elitism by shunning convention.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Inverted snobbery, an attempt at elitism by shunning convention.
Not snobbery. Many people just don't like "The Beach". They simply prefer "The Beaches" and would be embrace that convention.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Not snobbery. Many people just don't like "The Beach". They simply prefer "The Beaches" and would be embrace that convention.
Oh, it's all about snobbery, differentiating oneself from one's neighbour is the defining feature of life in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.