Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto, need advice on neighbourhoods

Wikiposts

Moving to Toronto, need advice on neighbourhoods

Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto, need advice on neighbourhoods

Originally Posted by dbd33
Did I say "move to Guelph"? Or to Maryland? Or to Newport Pagnell? No, I did not. Because they're not relevant.

I didn't suggest Oakville or Yonge and Eglinton though I know there are posters who like them both because they do nothing for me. And I've been to both, though, like you, I don't LIVE there.
Yet you suggested Yonge/Davisville which is literally just down the street from Yonge/Eglinton? What amazing transformation takes place in 1km that suddenly lights your candle?

Look, I know the area very well because I lived there for 4 years and I still visit often. I have friends who live in the area. Unless someone has moved it, I also know how far it is from downtown Toronto and what the commute is like at various times of the day. I also know what amenities are there and what the bars, restaurants etc are like. Yes - some things have changed since I lived there but I've seen the changes and I still have a very good feel for what living in that area is like. Given the OP's criteria, it seems like a good fit. Yes, there are other good areas in Toronto and I would encourage the OP to look at those too.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, Yonge/Lawrence is another area worth looking at (I used to live on Strathgowan Ave). It's one subway stop north of Yonge/Eglinton. Gabby's Roadhouse on Yonge just north of Lawrence is one of my favourite bars. It's now part of a chain but this was the original.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 20th 2012 at 11:56 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

I like Oxford. It's very close to where live. I always feel a academically inferior when I go there though.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ned, just found out that hub's office is on York St by union station, do trains go to YE from there?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Re the for and against argument about YE....sorry to have caused a disagreement!!!! YE looks great for a family but still busy enough to entertain me. I guess will have to see when we get there. I hate Newbury where I live now whereas lots of people here love it and wouldn't dream of moving. Each to their own
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:22 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
Ned, just found out that hub's office is on York St by union station, do trains go to YE from there?
Yes, they do.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep - there's a subway train from Eglinton station (at Y&E) straight to Union station. It's 11 stops total and you don't need to change anywhere. According to the TTC planner, the train takes about 17 mins.

http://www3.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp

http://www3.ttc.ca/Trip_planner/index.jsp
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep - there's a subway train from Eglinton station (at Y&E) straight to Union station. It's 11 stops total and you don't need to change anywhere. According to the TTC planner, the train takes about 17 mins.

http://www3.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp

http://www3.ttc.ca/Trip_planner/index.jsp
Perfect. Thank you Ned. Sorry, wa vry lazy of me to ask rather than check myself x
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Yes, they do.
Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had a nose at Sherwood Avenue on Google Maps Street view. It looks lovely and the type of street I would like to live on. Very well placed for shops etc. Would 5000 per month get us a 3 bed propertly somewhere like that? There is nothing available in that area as far as I can see at the moment so it's hard to guage prices
Yeah - $5000 is plenty. I just found this one (furnished) near Yonge/Lawrence which is 1 subway stop north of Yonge/Eglinton.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-real-esta...AdIdZ364361132
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
By the way, Yonge/Lawrence is another area worth looking at (I used to live on Strathgowan Ave). It's one subway stop north of Yonge/Eglinton. Gabby's Roadhouse on Yonge just north of Lawrence is one of my favourite bars. It's now part of a chain but this was the original.
You will be relieved to know that I've never been to Yonge and Lawrence and so have no opinion about it. I have the vague idea that it's ethnically Korean and Persian. For someone downtown it might as well be in Korea or Persia.

The difference to me, between Eglinton and Davisville, and I did know the former passably well years ago when I had a mistress who lived on Roehampton, is that Eglinton is concrete and chain restaurants (I note you're comfortable with those) and so hard to distinguish from so many suburban places, while the latter is less commercial, largish houses with lawns, one might compare Davisville with Kew and Eglinton with Brent Cross.

This is, of course, rather splitting hairs as, once you're north of Bloor, it's all much of muchness anyway. When I mentioned Davisville it had not been established that the OP is interested in "cafe society". Obviously, had I known at that point that she had so much life to her, I wouldn't have come up with anywhere so desperately middle-class.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:04 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I live right at Y&E and it's nice enough. Everything you need, convenient. Somehow I find it a bit bland though. Part of the problem, I think, are Yonge and Eglinton. You have two major highways with lots of traffic. Aside from Mount Pleasant (a little East of Yonge) all the shops etc are right on Y or E. You just never get the feeling you get wandering around other areas with smaller streets etc. Just no character.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

You will be relieved to know that I've never been to Yonge and Lawrence and so have no opinion about it. I have the vague idea that it's ethnically Korean and Persian. For someone downtown it might as well be in Korea or Persia.

The difference to me, between Eglinton and Davisville, and I did know the former passably well years ago when I had a mistress who lived on Roehampton, is that Eglinton is concrete and chain restaurants (I note you're comfortable with those) and so hard to distinguish from so many suburban places, while the latter is less commercial, largish houses with lawns, one might compare Davisville with Kew and Eglinton with Brent Cross.

This is, of course, rather splitting hairs as, once you're north of Bloor, it's all much of muchness anyway. When I mentioned Davisville it had not been established that the OP is interested in "cafe society". Obviously, had I known at that point that she had so much life to her, I wouldn't have come up with anywhere so desperately middle-class.
Aw Dbd, I take your comment about having 'life to her' as a real compliment coming from someone who I imagine has discerning tastes. I'm surprised Newbury hasn't sucked the life out of me.

I was really tempted to get somewhere in Koreatown to 'get back to my roots' for the 50% of me which is Korean but husband balked at the thought of a permanent whiff of kimchi in the air.

Imartin99 thanks for the advice

I am getting fairly attached to the house on Park Ave in The Beaches. Sadly, I think it will get snapped up quite quickly.

What does OP stand for???
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

What does OP stand for???
Original Poster
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't recall ever having that impression at all. There are people from everywhere but most of those I recall in the Yonge-Lawrence area were neither Korean nor Persian. I do recall some Korean restaurants though but then I also remember many other restaurants (e.g. Mexican, Greek, Italian, etc). I think there may be a larger population of Korean/Persian people further north on Yonge. Maybe up towards Finch or Steeles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.