Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from Toronto to Calgary ?

Wikiposts

Moving from Toronto to Calgary ?

Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moving from Toronto to Calgary ?

I’ve been a member on this site since I moved to Toronto from England almost exactly 10 years ago and 2 weeks I just got laid off from my employer of 9 years.

Well this morning I received a phone call from my old company offering me my old job back but in Calgary, the position would pay me at least 20% more than I was being paid before in Toronto.
As you know I’ve lived Toronto a while now so I understand the high cost of living here, my income right now covers everything and im left with a small amount that I save and invest, my questions are : -

How high is the cost of living in Calgary? I rent a medium sized one bedroom apartment in Uptown Toronto which I love and can afford.

I’m also a 29 year old gay man who recently divorced from my Canadian ex-husband so I’m living in a gay friendly city is important to me, would any of you consider Calgary to be gay friendly ? all I've heard is that it is not, or maybe to better put it a little conservative ?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Toronto to Calgary ?

Originally Posted by celine_uk
I’ve been a member on this site since I moved to Toronto from England almost exactly 10 years ago and 2 weeks I just got laid off from my employer of 9 years.

Well this morning I received a phone call from my old company offering me my old job back but in Calgary, the position would pay me at least 20% more than I was being paid before in Toronto.
As you know I’ve lived Toronto a while now so I understand the high cost of living here, my income right now covers everything and im left with a small amount that I save and invest, my questions are : -

How high is the cost of living in Calgary? I rent a medium sized one bedroom apartment in Uptown Toronto which I love and can afford.

I’m also a 29 year old gay man who recently divorced from my Canadian ex-husband so I’m living in a gay friendly city is important to me, would any of you consider Calgary to be gay friendly ? all I've heard is that it is not, or maybe to better put it a little conservative ?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
There was a recent thread about how gay friendly Calgary is. I am not gay but, from what I have seen, I wouldn't stay away from Calgary simply because I was gay.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There was a recent thread about how gay friendly Calgary is. I am not gay but, from what I have seen, I wouldn't stay away from Calgary simply because I was gay.
k thanks i'll try to find that thread!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this thread on a different forum:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=203413
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
I find the cost of living to be lower than Toronto.

As for being "gay friendly", Calgary is definitely more right-wing and conservative than TO. It's not as bad as the Toronto Star seems to make out but it's not a complete myth either. I assume there must be conservative and right-wing gay people somewhere though.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Calgary being gay friendly or not.

What I have observed about Calgary is the diversity of people here. At my son's school it is a *huge* mixture of children which I love. Where we came from in England he went to a small village school and it was 100% all white English. I like that this is very different over here.

I don't think you will have a problem over here but then I spend 99% of my time in the NW quadrant of the city.

I have found everyone to be very welcoming However we have had conversations with some strong Catholic families whose opinions of gay people are in the dark ages and we told them we thought so!! You will get that everywhere I think....