British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving to Toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-toronto-574821/)

JamesM Dec 5th 2008 1:28 pm

Re: Moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 7038223)
And, just to prove your point, you only have to visit certain countries just to see how bad the driving standards are.

I found driving on the motorway in Montreal pretty terrifying! The French-Canadians behind the wheel are absolute lunatics aswell!

DaveLovesDee Dec 5th 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by James Martindale (Post 7040010)
I found driving on the motorway in Montreal pretty terrifying! The French-Canadians behind the wheel are absolute lunatics aswell!

Yes, the speed limits there are the minimum speed to drive at if you have Quebec plates. At least that what it seems like at times.

I've also seen more Ontario-plated cars pulled over than Quebec ones whenever I've gone to Montreal.

Maria_747 Dec 19th 2008 7:58 pm

Just wondering

How is the temperature these days in Toronto.

I saw it said -12 but feels like -20. Just wondering how do you guys cope especially doing the weekly grocery shopping ?
Do they have internet delivery shopping over there ?

You see, when it was raining loads one saturday in London a few weeks ago, I just didn't bother going out out of the house

JamesM Dec 20th 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7083504)
Just wondering

I saw it said -12 but feels like -20. Just wondering how do you guys cope especially doing the weekly grocery shopping ?

You see, when it was raining loads one saturday in London a few weeks ago, I just didn't bother going out out of the house

That Saturday with all the rain was the absolute worst Saturday I can remember!!!

Not sure about internet shopping from Canadian supermarkets so someone else will answer that?

When I was there I used to just wrap up warm and head out. There was a small mall at Yonge and Eglinton which was very comfortable to shop in during the winter, and if it wasn't adequate it was connected to the subway so you could jump on the train and head to the Eaton Centre which was also connected to the Subway. You could have a good day of shopping with out going outside. Most things in Canada are cleverly thought out to help people cope with the winter.

I had some Canadian work freinds take me to Coast Mountain Sports store at the start of winter and help me pick out a good quality ski jacket that pretty much solved the problem of getting me through the winter. Sadly the jacket was stolen in a youth hostel when I was in Bulgaria last year. I was gutted=(

By the way Yonge and Eglinton has the best smelling subway station in the world too!!!!

Settlers_Unlimited Dec 20th 2008 12:56 pm

Just wondering

For many people one of the reasons to move is the experience of proper seasons. Even as I fight cough and throat pain frequently, I still think that winter must be white, which means below zero. You should probably move to continental Europe if you want a change but are afraid of weather.

Auld Yin Dec 20th 2008 3:05 pm

Just wondering

Today at 11am it is about -10C but the sky is a clear blue and the sun is out. With a good jacket, gloves, a hat and boots it is quite delightful outside. Yesterday there was a major storm, by Toronto standards, so people went about their business quickly and got inside as soon as possible. Please remember we're equipped to deal with winter with large numbers of road clearing equipment and good, inexpensive winter clothing if money is a concern. People have been living under these conditions for over 400 years with our First Nations people for thousands of years before that. If one lives in surburbia chances are shopping is done by car. If in town, then people without cars manage quite well. Internet shopping is available but is limited by UK standards and, in my opinion, really not worth the bother. If winter weather is going to be a problem for you then any move to Canada should be confined to the west coast where the climate is similat to the UK. Out there, however, they do get a good deal of rain.

johnh009 Dec 21st 2008 2:28 am

Originally Posted by James Martindale (Post 7036267)
Also in the UK when you are driving to places and you cannot find them or go past them, it is a pain in the arse figuring out where to turn round and how to get back. This problem is easily solved with the grid system.

Did you know that the grid system actually originated in Santa Domingo in the Dominican Republic, the oldest city in the Americas, in the 15th Century. Santa Domingo was a Spanish outpost and the headquarters of the Conquistadors. And, the grid system was not intended to not improve the flow of traffic but to easily define areas/suburbs.

Sorry, slightly off topic, but maybe someone is interested? Hmmm...maybe...? Did I hear someone say yes......?

Maria_747 Dec 28th 2008 11:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your input. I am seriously reconsidering whether I should move or not. Maybe I should make a trip in the winter season to get rid of this fear I have about Cold winters in Canada.
I did see alot of walkways interconnected through buildings in Toronto when I was there last May, I thought they were shortcuts or something !:o

P.S Do any of you get rhematism or arthritis in the winter ?

James

That saturday was absolutely horrid !!

Auld Yin Dec 28th 2008 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7105188)
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your input. I am seriously reconsidering whether I should move or not. Maybe I should make a trip in the winter season to get rid of this fear I have about Cold winters in Canada.
I did see alot of walkways interconnected through buildings in Toronto when I was there last May, I thought they were shortcuts or something !:o

P.S Do any of you get rhematism or arthritis in the winter ?

James

That saturday was absolutely horrid !!

If you have FEAR of Canadian winters then this country is not for you. The underground walkways are not necessarily shortcuts but a way to help people/workers in downtown Toronto deal with the winters and, of course, it are an underground shopping mall. Coming for a visit in winter may not satisfy your question(s). Last week in Toronto there was heavy snow and temperatures of -15c. For the past few days heavy rain has all but eliminated the snow and temperatures reached +10C. I don't think arthritis and rheumatism are the result of cold weather.

snugglefuzzles Dec 29th 2008 4:08 am

I like the cold. It's fun to play winter dress ups with the coats and hats and what not, and it really makes you appreciate the warmer months.

It's only when it starts getting below -20 that it becomes a problem. Anything else is totally manageable.

Flyingscottie Dec 29th 2008 10:08 am

I lived in Toronto for a year - about 8 years ago, and I have to say I only have happy memories of the winter!

I remember walking to work - 30 mins - in -10 degrees, bright sunshine, and the biggest smile on my face, it was stunning!

Also walks in the park with crispy frozen piles of leaves, children playing. The weather is what you make of it I say......enjoy!

I can't wait to be back :D

Settlers_Unlimited Dec 29th 2008 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie (Post 7106210)
Also walks in the park with crispy frozen piles of leaves, children playing.

It's good only till the first snowfall. It seems that here they don't clear walkways in parks. Even many sidewalks along the major roads are not cleared, though the city Web site lists them as to be cleared in 36 hours. It sucks - the only fun would be sled or skiing, so those who don't really like it don't have anything at all.

tbontb Dec 29th 2008 5:59 pm

Hello

I have been living in Canada for five years, but I do not feel settled in the area where I live at the moment. I have had a good time, I do not regret coming here, but after several years I have no attachment to the place where I live, although I feel attached to Canada and canadians; it's just that I have seen all there is to see where I am, and there isn't that much to see, actually.

I have made very good friends in Canada; in fact, I had many good friends at one stage (when we first arrived), but all the really good friends I made early on have since moved elsewhere (apart from two) and it does not seem to be possible anymore to make any new friends where I am.

I am considering moving to the GTA, which I would not have considered when I first came to Canada after living in London for several years !

I am a young-ish professional and I find that career moves where I live now are very restricted, not to say impossible; now, if I was in love with the place where I live and had deep roots I would be happy driving a bus or working in construction, but that is not the case. My concern is that if something happens to my current company, I will be either driving buses or selling phone attachments/calendars somewhere I do not particularly feel attached to.

I have a wife and young kids, which area would people recommend for easy access to downtown yet allowing for a medium sized yard and walks to a park with ducks and squirrels?

Cheers

dbd33 Dec 29th 2008 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by tbontb (Post 7107684)
I have a wife and young kids, which area would people recommend for easy access to downtown yet allowing for a medium sized yard and walks to a park with ducks and squirrels?

Beach. High Park.

Good guide to areas here: http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml

tbontb Dec 29th 2008 6:05 pm

Wow, that was quick!

Do you live in GTA yourself?