British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving to Toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-toronto-574821/)

Maria_747 Nov 23rd 2008 9:36 pm

Moving to Toronto

Hi Everyone,

I came across your thread. I started my immigration process to Toronto 2 years ago and now I am just awaiting for my Medicals examination. My lawyer said I should get my PRC by February at the latest.

I would like to know what medical tests they do. I am aware of a blood test. I am abit concerned as I had very low haemoglobin levels recently but I am combating that with iron tablets. Will it show in my blood test ?

Also, those of you have lived in London and moved to Canada. How did you find the change ? I have been to Canada for holidays and I liked it very much and I have a lot family living out there. The reason for moving initially was to be close to the family after my father died. However, living there is different than being on holiday there.
The problem is I love London and the transport system is really good.
I wonder how it compares with Toronto ? Also, I have never been to Toronto in the winter. Is it a big problem travelling to work ? The winter factor puts me off a bit.

Do you ever get home sick ?

JamesM Nov 23rd 2008 9:47 pm

Re: Moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7002068)
Hi Everyone,

I came across your thread. I started my immigration process to Toronto 2 years ago and now I am just awaiting for my Medicals examination. My lawyer said I should get my PRC by February at the latest.

I would like to know what medical tests they do. I am aware of a blood test. I am abit concerned as I had very low haemoglobin levels recently but I am combating that with iron tablets. Will it show in my blood test ?

Also, those of you have lived in London and moved to Canada. How did you find the change ? I have been to Canada for holidays and I liked it very much and I have a lot family living out there. The reason for moving initially was to be close to the family after my father died. However, living there is different than being on holiday there.
The problem is I love London and the transport system is really good.
I wonder how it compares with Toronto ? Also, I have never been to Toronto in the winter. Is it a big problem travelling to work ? The winter factor puts me off a bit.

Do you ever get home sick ?

I lived and worked in Toronto for a year. The winter there is very different but I do not want to overwhelm you.

My advice if you get your PR in February is to head out in the spring and find a good job and then as winter nears pick your work colleagues brains as to what you need to do to prepare. I seldom used public transport in Toronto and drove everywhere. In the winter this required an underground fanned carpark to stop the engine freezing and having to scrape my car. Good quality all weather tyres (that were very expensive) to grip in the snow. Lots of screen wash in the car trunk because you constantly have to clear your windscreen of grit and run out fast. You will also need to develop a good canadian winter wardrobe and understand that all the people in downtown seem to move underground. There is a subway (tube system) and there are buses but I do not think they are as good as in London.

Anyway as I say I do not want to overwhelm you. It is different but I really enjoyed the winter there as it was a phenominal learning curve.

I cannot help with your medical question.

Maria_747 Nov 23rd 2008 10:39 pm

Hi James,

Many thanks for the information. I heard there are alot of science jobs in Torornto particularly in the Mississagua area (pharmaceutical industry) also, I got contacts at the Mount Sinai Hospital.

My main concern is with the winter adaptability and transport. When you hear stories that its only -20 degrees, its abit off putting.

Thanks again

Mikey B Nov 23rd 2008 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7002230)
Hi James,

Many thanks for the information. I heard there are alot of science jobs in Torornto particularly in the Mississagua area (pharmaceutical industry) also, I got contacts at the Mount Sinai Hospital.

My main concern is with the winter adaptability and transport. When you hear stories that its only -20 degrees, its abit off putting.

Thanks again

Im just entering my 4th winter here - the minus 20 sounds worse than it is, ON is a lot less damp than the UK and doesnt feel near as cold, doesnt get in your bones like in UK, TO itself is very sheltered from a proper Canadian winter 1 because of lake but mainly cus of urban heat from the city. Unfortunately city folk dont know how to deal with it - although they are 100 times better at dealing with it than the UK as are the snow plowers and salters. Fri it was -18 at home (1hr north of TO), I was more than comfortable walking to my garage and from parking lot to shops in a T shirt and decent colombia winter jacket. It sounds way worse than it is!! All the snowmobilers are already razzing past my front window - winter here is amazing if you embrace it! If you stay in the house all the time watching TV it sucks!

Obv driving during a snowstorm you allow to take more time - mostly due to other peoples inabillity to drive in such conditions than anything else. Never used public transport in winter so cant comment on that part. We had a decent storm here thurs (alberta clipper came down) and it took me 20 mins extra to get home on an hr journey. ON rarely comes to a standstill like the UK does in my exp dues to snow.

Maria_747 Nov 24th 2008 10:23 am

Many thanks, its giving me abit more courage to face it.
A couple of more question

Were you ever homesick for the UK ?

Also, how is the TV programmes there, is there to much American influence
and do they show British shows out there ?

Maria_747 Nov 24th 2008 10:54 am

Sorry a few more questiona

Can I keep dual nationality if I stay permanently in Canada ?

Also, If I became canadian citizen after 3 years and I wanted to work in the US, is it easier to get a work permit in the US with a Canadian passport ?

I heard many canadians work in the US but reside in Canada

Settlers_Unlimited Nov 24th 2008 2:26 pm

To my mind, snow+cold feels much easier than just cold. Kind of emotional help that snow gives.

I find the public transit system quite usable here. Very bad for me is that Mississauga and Toronto have separate systems. So, if you don't have one of "global" passes, you pay twice if you go from one city to the other and it takes long time of course. I think that living in the border areas, where both systems are available, is very good. Go to work anywhere and if you want some civilization, go to Toronto on weekend.

JamesM Nov 24th 2008 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7003516)

You can keep Dual Nationality.

I do not know about work permit's in the US.

Most of the TV in Canada is American with a small amount of local Canadian stuff. If you want to watch British TV- you can get cable and subscribe to some BBC channels that they offer.

There are always things that you will miss from the UK but when I came back to the UK there were things I missed from Canada. SO you will have some home sickness.

Mikey B Nov 24th 2008 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7003516)

Have never got Home sick for the UK once, to me Canada offers everything the UK does and a hundred times more, only things I miss is friends and family but you still see them and stay in touch with them. After all you have to live your life not theirs!! Plus you make friends out here - Iv'e made some amazing ones - Canadians are a freinds bunch!

I always was very American influenced anyway by what little TV I watched, Friends, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Smallville so no difference to me. There are also some good shows here that Id never seen before like Suvivorman and Dragons Den. I find I watch way less TV here than in the UK though because there is so much more to do!

JamesM Nov 24th 2008 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 7004664)
Have never got sick of the UK once, to me Canada offeres everything the UK does and a hundred times more, only thing I miss is friends and family but you still see them and stay in touch with them. After all you have to live your life not theirs!!

I always was very American influenced anyway by what little TV I watched, Friends, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Smallville so no difference to me. There are also some good shows here that Id never seen before like Suvivorman and dragons den. I find I watch way less TV here than in the UK though because there is so much more to do!

Just so you know Mikey B Dragon's Den was invented in the UK by the BBC and they then sold the concept on.

Mikey B Nov 24th 2008 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by James Martindale (Post 7004787)
Just so you know Mikey B Dragon's Den was invented in the UK by the BBC and they then sold the concept on.

You learn something new every day!! Thanks for that!

Maria_747 Nov 24th 2008 9:27 pm

Many thanks guys for your views

It has helped me alot. I sort of got to mentally prepare myself:confused::unsure: and decide what I really want in life !!
I have heard some people say that they found Toronto boring to live compared with London!

Does downtown Toronto have the same vibrancy as central London ?(aka Leicester square or Piccadilly).
In 2 hours you can be in Paris or Brussels ? from St Pancras ! Plus the corner shop I will miss !

Elaine B. Nov 24th 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7005362)
Many thanks guys for your views

It has helped me alot. I sort of got to mentally prepare myself:confused::unsure: and decide what I really want in life !!
I have heard some people say that they found Toronto boring to live compared with London!

Does downtown Toronto have the same vibrancy as central London ?(aka Leicester square or Piccadilly).
In 2 hours you can be in Paris or Brussels ? from St Pancras ! Plus the corner shop I will miss !

Hi Maria

I lived in Toronto until recently and it's not a bad place but don't expect it to be too much like London. I was bored in Toronto a lot of the time but that was really my own fault :eek: One of the things I do enjoy about being back in the UK is the cheap travel to Europe, traveling within North American can be expensive.

Maria_747 Nov 24th 2008 11:42 pm

Many Thanks Elaine

That is my problem ! :o:
I am comparing every little thing of London to Toronto.
I live in West London, walking distance to the tube, so can get to the Westend within 25 mins, heathrow airport, The M4 etc.
So basically, I am trying to find a locality that fits the bill.Some say mississauga does !

May I ask, do you miss Toronto now ? Would you go back in the near future ?

Settlers_Unlimited Nov 25th 2008 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Maria_747 (Post 7005825)
Many Thanks Elaine

I live in West London, walking distance to the tube, so can get to the Westend within 25 mins, heathrow airport, The M4 etc.
So basically, I am trying to find a locality that fits the bill.Some say mississauga does !

YES! What I can say for sure is that after spending every day in Mississauga, if I ever go to Toronto, its real downtown, it IS vibrant and full of fancy people in fancy clothes etc and it smells with big money at some spots. Tried and true. There are even streetcars. There are suburban trains here (cost more than the bus though) that can get you there from distant areas of Mississauga in less than half an hour.

Auld Yin Nov 25th 2008 1:34 am

Originally Posted by James Martindale (Post 7002097)
I lived and worked in Toronto for a year. The winter there is very different but I do not want to overwhelm you.

My advice if you get your PR in February is to head out in the spring and find a good job and then as winter nears pick your work colleagues brains as to what you need to do to prepare. I seldom used public transport in Toronto and drove everywhere. In the winter this required an underground fanned carpark to stop the engine freezing and having to scrape my car. Good quality all weather tyres (that were very expensive) to grip in the snow. Lots of screen wash in the car trunk because you constantly have to clear your windscreen of grit and run out fast. You will also need to develop a good canadian winter wardrobe and understand that all the people in downtown seem to move underground. There is a subway (tube system) and there are buses but I do not think they are as good as in London.

Anyway as I say I do not want to overwhelm you. It is different but I really enjoyed the winter there as it was a phenominal learning curve.

I cannot help with your medical question.

Your frightening Maria-747 to death. Maria, in a Toronto winter, cars do not freeze, except very infrequently, and on occasion you may have to scrape the WINDSHIELD and WINDOWS of ice and snow but not the car which sometimes may need brushed off. You are required to squirt windshield washer fluid but not constantly. You buy a container of the fluid which, from my 42 years experience, will probably last 1/2 months. We have a good public transit system but nothing as widespread/good as London but then few cities have. The reason the underground car parking is "fanned" is to extract the exhaust fumes not to heat the area. There is a huge downtown undergropund walkway with hundreds of shops with subway/commuter trains arriving/leaving there. Tens of thousands of people working downtown hardly ever need to come outside in the winter if they choose not to.
Toronto will always seem unexciting to young people vs London but there are lots of bars, restaurants and clubs, great shopping and most important, people are nice and friendly.

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 1:43 am

No. Nothing like. Toronto has the vibrancy of Aberdeen. NYC is the nearest place where one can gasp at the excitement of it all.

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 1:47 am

People who say this are those for whom the pace of life in Hemel Hempstead would be too much.

Look, Toronto may offer a chance to be relatively well off, to have a bigger house, more cars, better education for the children, things money can buy but it's nowhere; if city life matters to you then settling on Toronto is accepting life in the minor league.

Novocastrian Nov 25th 2008 3:22 am

We have corner shops, if that helps at all. In two hours you can be in Mississauga or Pickering.

Auld Yin Nov 25th 2008 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7006282)
We have corner shops, if that helps at all. In two hours you can be in Mississauga or Pickering.

From downtown Toronto on the commuter train it's 45 minutes to Pickering or Mississauga. By car, outside rush hours, perhaps 30-35 minutes. I've lived in both places.

Elaine B. Nov 25th 2008 8:10 am

Many Thanks Elaine

May I ask, do you miss Toronto now ? Would you go back in the near future ?

I'm very fond of Toronto (both my kids where born there) I especially enjoyed living downtown (Church and Welleslely area) within walking distance to everything, but no I won't be moving back I'm a lot happier where I am. I think moving to Canada is a opportunity to do something different so if you move and compare everything to London you may be disappointed.

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by brianscottie43 (Post 7006301)
From downtown Toronto on the commuter train it's 45 minutes to Pickering or Mississauga. By car, outside rush hours, perhaps 30-35 minutes. I've lived in both places.

But why would anyone want to go to Mississauga or Pickering?

Elaine B. Nov 25th 2008 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7007589)

Maybe for the history and scenery?

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 7007627)

Ah ha! Perhaps there's also an opera house.

Londonuck Nov 25th 2008 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 7007627)

Prepare for the great southern Irish invasion this weekend Elaine. 2% off VAT! People are literally dribbling at the thought of bargins! Newry will have a Dublin accent this weekend.

Settlers_Unlimited Nov 25th 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7007644)
Ah ha! Perhaps there's also an opera house.

No no no! We have 2 (two) museums here in Mississauga. Both are some old mice-smelling houses featuring a collection of rusty agricultural tools and rural furniture on display.

As for scenery, we have over 280 parks, some of them (at least ten) having more than five trees.

And all that is reachable from Union Station in 20-30 minutes by Go train.

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited (Post 7007939)
No no no! We have 2 (two) museums here in Mississauga. Both are some old mice-smelling houses featuring a collection of rusty agricultural tools and rural furniture on display.

As for scenery, we have over 280 parks, some of them (at least ten) having more than five trees.

And all that is reachable from Union Station in 20-30 minutes by Go train.

One of my kids went to a rustic living weekend at the museum house south of Clarkson, I don't remember the name of it. She could, of course, have done the same in Toronto or, I suppose, Pickering, so that's not really a reason to go from one to another. Mississauga, at least the wasteland part north of the QEW, is built on farmland so I have to think it has less trees per acre than most of Ontario. It does have some sort of amusement arcade though, there are signs to it on the highway.

Mikey B Nov 25th 2008 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7007589)

If anyone has a sensible answer to this Im all ears - always baffled me!

Mikey B Nov 25th 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 7006853)
I think moving to Canada is a opportunity to do something different so if you move and compare everything to London you may be disappointed.

Well put!!!

Canada is not the UK and never will be - thank god, allah, buddha and any other make beleive religeous character!

This is Canada so if you come here then you need to be able to enjoy and embrace that and all what Canada has to offer not expect another London! I for one dont want another London here! I left the country for a reason (well several)!!! For me any country in the world has big cities that are all horrible urban sprawls of concrete - Canada is all about the great outdoors!

Auld Yin Nov 25th 2008 2:54 pm

dbd33 needs to go get a hug from his donkey.

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by brianscottie43 (Post 7008033)
dbd33 needs to go get a hug from his donkey.

A donkey is something else not available in Mississauga or Pickering; these places lack the fields of the country and the interest of the city.

cazze1 Nov 25th 2008 4:55 pm

i'm loving living in Toronto at the moment - just moved over here by myself from the UK, living downtown.

i get excited every time it snows and am looking forward to going skiing this season - i've heard blue mountains are close? when would the season start?:)

pcuz Nov 25th 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by cazze1 (Post 7008497)
i'm loving living in Toronto at the moment - just moved over here by myself from the UK, living downtown.

i get excited every time it snows and am looking forward to going skiing this season - i've heard blue mountains are close? when would the season start?:)

Should be this weekend. Depending on the snow!

Auld Yin Nov 25th 2008 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7008099)
A donkey is something else not available in Mississauga or Pickering; these places lack the fields of the country and the interest of the city.

Wrong, again.

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by brianscottie43 (Post 7008551)
Wrong, again.

Do enlighten me. Where in Mississauga or Pickering can one keep a donkey? More generally, what merit does Mississauga or Pickering have?

Mikey B Nov 25th 2008 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by cazze1 (Post 7008497)

Enjoy the commute with the herd on a satruday morning. I wouldnt fancy it!!

I live about 30 mins from blue and have heard theres a chance they maybe opening in the next week or so but of course always depends on the weather.

Afraid your too late for your discounted 5x7 pass though.

Novocastrian Nov 25th 2008 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by brianscottie43 (Post 7006301)

Yes, I know that. My point was to illustrate the difference between travel times (distances) between cities in Canada and Europe. If you travel for 2 hours in any direction from Toronto you'll just be 2 hours away from Toronto (or in Buffalo, which is much worse).

englishrose1 Nov 25th 2008 6:37 pm

Hi

Like you I want to move to toronto. Right now I feel very nervous as I just got my 90 day letter so things are still up in the air until the visa arrives in my passport. One thing I know for sure is that this has been my dream from being a child. I live up north in the UK, so moving to Toronto will be a big change. I am torn between mississauga and Downtown Toronto but once I get there I will make my decision. In my mind set I will do everything I can to make Canada my home. I want piece of mind when I turn old, sat in my rocking chair, that I did something in my life I wanted to do. I have no idea what is round the corner but I am sure you will love it. How I look at it is what is the percentage of people who actually come back. It is far less than those who move to Canada. So if others can make a life for themselves I am determined to try. I am giving a really good job but I think that I will not regret it in the slighest. To get to where I am in my early 30's took hard work and I accept it will take hard work to make it work in Canada but I am up to it. It hard just to use internet research, what is needed is explore your new home that is the only way you will be comfortable in it.

The UK has changed so much and for me moving is about me excercise my freedom of choice to try somewhere new.

The 90 day letter makes my dream so real. Time to start saving some cash!

Keep in touch with your journey!

dbd33 Nov 25th 2008 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by englishrose1 (Post 7008732)
I am torn between mississauga and Downtown Toronto but once I get there I will make my decision.

Unless you're working in Mississauga and need to be close to work it would be more practical to set up downtown initially; you can then travel out to look at neighbourhoods of potential interest. I can't see ever wanting to go as far out as Mississauga or Pickering but, I suppose, if funds are limited and commuting doesn't bother you there might be a need to look at such places.

Novocastrian Nov 25th 2008 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by englishrose1 (Post 7008732)
Hi

Like you I want to move to toronto. Right now I feel very nervous as I just got my 90 day letter so things are still up in the air until the visa arrives in my passport. One thing I know for sure is that this has been my dream from being a child. I live up north in the UK, so moving to Toronto will be a big change. I am torn between mississauga and Downtown Toronto but once I get there I will make my decision. In my mind set I will do everything I can to make Canada my home. I want piece of mind when I turn old, sat in my rocking chair, that I did something in my life I wanted to do. I have no idea what is round the corner but I am sure you will love it. How I look at it is what is the percentage of people who actually come back. It is far less than those who move to Canada. So if others can make a life for themselves I am determined to try. I am giving a really good job but I think that I will not regret it in the slighest. To get to where I am in my early 30's took hard work and I accept it will take hard work to make it work in Canada but I am up to it. It hard just to use internet research, what is needed is explore your new home that is the only way you will be comfortable in it.

The UK has changed so much and for me moving is about me excercise my freedom of choice to try somewhere new.

The 90 day letter makes my dream so real. Time to start saving some cash!

Keep in touch with your journey!

It sounds as if you'll be moving over alone? And you're in your 30's? Why on earth would you consider Mississauga? You'd go mad.