Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by tbontb
Wow, that was quick!

Do you live in GTA yourself?
Not quite. I have lived in the Beach, downtown and in Mississauga but now live at the very limit of commutability, 75 miles from the CN tower.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

tbontb is on a distinguished road

Do you mind if I ask you why you moved away from GTA downtown?

Anyways, I am looking at moving to GTA so that:

1) I do not find myself doing menial jobs somewhere I don't like (I have done menial jobs before, usually in places I liked, makes a big difference)
2) Spending more time with my kids... current job makes me travel a lot, I am looking for something more office based... my word, never thought I'd say this...
3) My wife would be able to work in her career in GTA, there are no jobs doing what she does where live now
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mind if I ask you why you moved away from GTA downtown?
Some years ago I moved from downtown to the Beach so as to be able to have a backyard with room for a trampoline. Two years ago I moved from the Beach to where we are now so to be able to have a backyard with room for horses.

Anyways, I am looking at moving to GTA so that:

1) I do not find myself doing menial jobs somewhere I don't like (I have done menial jobs before, usually in places I liked, makes a big difference)
2) Spending more time with my kids... current job makes me travel a lot, I am looking for something more office based... my word, never thought I'd say this...
3) My wife would be able to work in her career in GTA, there are no jobs doing what she does where live now
What does you wife do? She'll need to bring in a serious income to cover the cost of daycare, commuting, clothes for work and tax allowances forgone.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

I suggest we carry on talking off-forum?

How do I get hold of you?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I suggest we carry on talking off-forum?

How do I get hold of you?
You can PM me if you want but posting here allows everyone to read and comment. Sometimes people disagree with me(!) and multiple viewpoints can be useful.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

All info is being well read
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can PM me if you want but posting here allows everyone to read and comment. Sometimes people disagree with me(!) and multiple viewpoints can be useful.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

tbontb

Its a very interesting view on your life in Canada

From what I have seen of Ontario (limited I know), it seems a very nice place but I seem to get the feeling something is missing, I can't quite figure it out yet.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Maria_747
tbontb

Its a very interesting view on your life in Canada

From what I have seen of Ontario (limited I know), it seems a very nice place but I seem to get the feeling something is missing, I can't quite figure it out yet.
Mountains? Ocean? Architecture? Culture?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mountains? Ocean? Architecture? Culture?
Mountains, Ocean, Architecture, for sure. There is a wide choice of culture(s) though. I'd add a willingness among the majority to engage in even slightly interesting conversation to the lacking list.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Now, to take things further, when I first moved to Canada I was moving away from the big city (London) and looking for countryside... well, 5 years on I have finally realized I am not a country person... but neither am I a big city person... yet I must be practical; finding decent jobs has been possible, but challenging and a lot of work (isn't it always?), and so far I think I have been lucky, mostly...

My experience of Ontario is limited to business trips in downtown TO, plus some time I spent working in northern Ontario (past Sault St Marie)...

I thought Ontario was great in terms of infrastructure/facilities (libraries, social centres, job centres, DNR, etc) compared to the province where I live now, plus people were optimistic about life in general (I repeat, in general), unlike where I live now (pessimistic, in general). Also, besides recent press woes, there are plenty of jobs in Ontario (particularly if you have already worked in Canada, yes, I hear the horror stories about 'Canadian experience'), steady jobs, and not so much of a boom/bust economy like in Alberta or a "we export people" economy like in Atlantic Canada.

Now, for those of you that live in southern Ontario, perhaps we can start a "what do you like about it and what do you not like about it" ???

As for myself, well, the only place in Canada with a better spring than southern Ontario is Vancouver and surrounding area (there is a lack of spring where I live now, it is "still-winter-season" in mid-May, suddenly by the end of May it is summer), so I am finding the weather appealing in southern Ontario (compared to other places in Canada). Am I wrong thinking southern Ontario has a pretty decent summer, particularly compared to southern England ?

Anyways, I digress, the main reason I started writing was that I want to hear what people think about southern Ontario, good and bad, as I am considering moving there from elsewhere in Canada.

If it was just for work reasons, then there is no doubt I would move to southern Ontario ASAP, but I also want to make sure I am not moving back to London, carboard shoeboxes called luxury homes and the M25/M3/M4/North Circular & the ancient/run-down/crappy yet ridiculously-overpriced underground (with regular strikes) nightmare.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Re: lack of ocean in Ontario

As for myself, I find the ocean overrated, unless by ocean you mean the Mediterranean or you are an avid (and wealthy) sailor and have your own sailboat
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Re: lack of ocean in Ontario

As for myself, I find the ocean overrated, unless by ocean you mean the Mediterranean or you are an avid (and wealthy) sailor and have your own sailboat
I like sailing. That doesn't imply wealth.

I don't think Southern Ontario has a spring to speak of, snow, one week of mud and it's summer. Mostly though I agree with you.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

I like sailing too... used to do the old Optimist, then 4,20 and LASER... back when, in Spain...

I still find a big difference between lakes in Canada, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans... I really find the Oceans more a realm of the wealthy as opposed to lakes or the Med, but yes, agreed, the Oceans are not exclusively for the rich...
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Re: spring

What do you find spring like around GTA?
When does it arrive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.