Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Can I get away with it if I put 'Just passed' on the car ?
I did that the first 2 years i passed my test. Every time (not often thank God)
I did something which irritated the other driver 'I would say sorry I only passed my test last week' ! They were very nice and sympthetic after that.

You guys are scaring about driving in Toronto ?
I was told one needs to have a car in Canada like USA, otherwise you are stuck !
My OH and I managed to live in Toronto for years without a car. I only started to learn to drive in the last few months after I moved back to NI (the thought of learning in Toronto was a little scary). If you live and work close to a TTC station there's really no need to own a car.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:33 am
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

The first time I mentioned to a few Canadians that we were thinking of moving to Scarborough if/when we move to Canada there was a deathly silence... a few moments passed and then some one whispered "Scarberia". Enough said.

The driving is TO is poor, as is the general condition of the road surfaces, but 'cos you will be mostly driving slowly 'cos of traffic, it isn't that bad. Just remember that most drivers seem to have little road awareness or consideration for you and others and you'll be OK. In fact, many drivers in NA seem to have a death wish.

As others have said, I reckon that if you lived downtown near the Metro, or second best, near a streetcar (tram) route you wouldn't really need a car if you basically stayed in the city. Friends of ours over there do have a very old, and very cheap to buy, Jeep, which they only use to do a 'big shop' and for occasional days out and weekends away. Most of the time it sits in their parking bay gathering dust. I'm sure you could get by using the Metro & streetcars, and a cab for grocery shopping, and a rental if and when you need it.

M.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:47 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Can I get away with it if I put 'Just passed' on the car ?
I did that the first 2 years i passed my test. Every time (not often thank God)
I did something which irritated the other driver 'I would say sorry I only passed my test last week' ! They were very nice and sympthetic after that.

You guys are scaring about driving in Toronto ?
I was told one needs to have a car in Canada like USA, otherwise you are stuck !
I found driving in Toronto relatively easy, and I definately think it is easier than in the UK. The first two weeks was hard work remembering the car I was driving was on my right and that I had to turn onto the right hand side of the road, but after that it was fine.

The truth is because of the grid system you are often sitting at traffic lights. Definately get an automatic that will chill the experience.

There are no round-a-bouts. On suburban streets there are 4 ways stops, they are easy.

There are hardly even roads with bends in. I used to joke with my Canadian freinds saying they wouldn't cope on bendy roads.

I hate driving in the UK because our roads, mainly in London and city centres constantly shift between one and two lanes and people always park their cars in stupid places so people cutting in, trying to get one up etc happens all the time. This stress completely went away in Canada with most city roads being 3 lanes wide and it being obvious which lane you need to be in to go where.

Also in the UK when you are driving to places and you cannot find them or go past them, it is a pain in the arse figuring out where to turn round and how to get back. This problem is easily solved with the grid system.

The motorway in Canada can be scary, you get heavy duty vehicles in all lanes and I used to hate it when I was in the middle lane between two trucks and used to get clear quickly!

They do not understand breaking distances in North America and they are not the best at indicating. Also no one ever thanks anyone for anything on the road.

If you understand breaking distances you will be fine. The great thing with Canada is there is lots of car parks outside of places which always makes taking your car so much easier.

Anyway my experience of driving in Toronto was a positive one.

I will point out the one thing that annoyed me was when I bought the car from the dealer they then added tax on, and when I sold the car I did not get that back so I automatically lost 15%(I think it was) plus the 1 years depreciation. Also as a new driver in Canada I got clobbered for insurance, my years of no claims in the UK meant nothing.

Anyway to summarise, I thought driving was easier but as a new driver it is going to cost you.

Last edited by JamesM; Dec 4th 2008 at 10:50 am. Reason: My spelling is terrible
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Maybe we could start a petition to rename Alliston? I have a couple of suggestions Only kidding Mikey.
I've heard of Angus referred to as Anguish and Apsley (north of Peterborough) as Apathy, and Cornwall as Cornhole.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
Friends of ours over there do have a very old, and very cheap to buy, Jeep, which they only use to do a 'big shop' and for occasional days out and weekends away. Most of the time it sits in their parking bay gathering dust.
The problem with that is most of the cost of operating a car in Toronto is fixed, you have to pay for the license and insurance whether it moves or not. $2,500 a year would pay for a lot of taxis back from the 'big shop'.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The problem with that is most of the cost of operating a car in Toronto is fixed, you have to pay for the license and insurance whether it moves or not. $2,500 a year would pay for a lot of taxis back from the 'big shop'.
My sister in law lives in Ottawa. As a trendy urbanite she doesn't own a car but is part of a car-sharing scheme http://www.vrtucar.com/ Anything similar exist in TO?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My sister in law lives in Ottawa. As a trendy urbanite she doesn't own a car but is part of a car-sharing scheme http://www.vrtucar.com/ Anything similar exist in TO?
Yes. In fact I have a mate who has a Jeep he got for nothing but cannot afford to insure so he uses the zip car share. There are several other schemes.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by loser40
Friends of ours over there do have a very old, and very cheap to buy, Jeep, which they only use to do a 'big shop' and for occasional days out and weekends away.
From my experience, anywhere in the world, you need money, first of all, and not a car to do shopping. Somehow the mentality of people is changed in the last decades so that they go in debt to buy a car for groceries only.

In GTA you can do without car. With car is surely easier, but everything depends on where exactly you live and work. It's actually the same in Europe. Be organized, get used to the transport net and schedule, and you can actually save time (reading a book or doing other things while someone else is driving you).
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
I've heard of Angus referred to as Anguish and Apsley (north of Peterborough) as Apathy, and Cornwall as Cornhole.
The missus has heard of Peterborough being referred to as Pen*sborough, Alliston as A**hole town and Belleville as Hellville.

I've been to all three and they seem nice places.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
The missus has heard of Peterborough being referred to as Pen*sborough, Alliston as A**hole town and Belleville as Hellville.

I've been to all three and they seem nice places.
There are a couple of places northwest of Toronto named for being horrible. Catholics settlers could find no place better than a swamp and a barren hilltop. They called one Luther and the other Melancthon.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

A recent example. Last week I wanted to turn from Jarvis Street right on to the Gardiner ramp but the traffic was at a halt. I walked up to see what the problem was and found that some fellow had driven his Nissan Ennui into another's Honda Drearyness. They were fretting over scratches on the bumper. I pointed out that their collision was not a matter of interest to the cars backed up behind them and suggested that they take their problems elsewhere. The English speaking one demurred. I put my case more forcefully pointing out that neither of the vehicles was of great value to the world and that, as Asians, the two drivers were fated to bang them into objects; one more or less shouldn't really matter. The English speaking one raised his fist, as people are prone to do in traffic jams. By now we'd been joined by a crowd of disgruntled motorists and some scuffling ensued. Not a big deal but an irksome delay and typical of my commute.
I have found this thread really useful as I also am looking at moving to Toronto in the near furture and there has been some great advice here on where to live.

However I am saddened that someone can make a clearly racist comment on this site and only one person makes a comment. I would like to think that such comments have no place on British Expats.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by delsol79
However I am saddened that someone can make a clearly racist comment on this site and only one person makes a comment. I would like to think that such comments have no place on British Expats.
I believe that Asians, in the American sense, not Asians in the UK sense, drive in a manner incompatible with the operation of vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. I know that's the stereotype and I believe it to be so because it's true. Is your assertion that there are no ethnic differences in driving style and competence or that there are such differences but one should not say so?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by delsol79
I have found this thread really useful as I also am looking at moving to Toronto in the near furture and there has been some great advice here on where to live.

I think the comment made by dbd33 was made slightly tonque-in-cheek and should not be taken out of context. I have heard worse and I assume you also have in Manchester, especially at the football matches. There is a wide ethnic diversity in the GTA and, for most part, people get along okay. As a white English-Canadian I also get called a limey @#$!&* and often told I should get back to where I came from if I utter the slightest negative remark.

I suppose that if everyone went back to where they came from, the country would be empty.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:04 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I believe that Asians, in the American sense, not Asians in the UK sense, drive in a manner incompatible with the operation of vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. I know that's the stereotype and I believe it to be so because it's true. Is your assertion that there are no ethnic differences in driving style and competence or that there are such differences but one should not say so?
Couldnt agree more!!!

Stereotypes exist over here like that for a reason, nothing to do with being racist, the 401 problems are mainly down to issues like this with certain drivers from certain areas of the world, its not a secret, everyone I speak to and know all seems to know this, the OH's chinese brother in law will be the 1st to admit it and refuses to drive in TO because he is useless at it!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Couldnt agree more!!!

Stereotypes exist over here like that for a reason, nothing to do with being racist, the 401 problems are mainly down to issues like this with certain drivers from certain areas of the world, its not a secret, everyone I speak to and know all seems to know this, the OH's chinese brother in law will be the 1st to admit it and refuses to drive in TO because he is useless at it!
And, just to prove your point, you only have to visit certain countries just to see how bad the driving standards are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.