Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:36 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

I see fisticuffs most days.

Methinks, somewhat of an exaggeration.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
I see fisticuffs most days.

Methinks, somewhat of an exaggeration.
You put "methinks" just because you know I think it a silly affectation, didn't you.

It's no exaggeration to say that every day of the week I see someone get out of a vehicle and gesture threateningly at a driver. Whether or not it comes to blows depends on the reaction of that driver. In the motorcycling season I see a rider kick a car several times a day, it's their way of showing that they exist. Sometimes the car owners get out and make something of it. Everyday when I'm downtown I see drivers spit at traffic light beggars, this often leads to physical conflict.

Even someone as mild mannered and conservative in driving habits as myself makes physical contact with other drivers every couple of months. It's a natural consequence of being crowded together in the ugliness of the GTA.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:11 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Now, methinks you really exaggerate. I have done extensive driving in the GTA for over 42 years and have never witnessed what you claim on an everyday basis. For me to state that what you describe never happens would be naive and untrue but your obvious dislike (make that hatred) of the GTA is rendering you delusional.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A recent example. Last week I wanted to turn from Jarvis Street right on to the Gardiner ramp but the traffic was at a halt. I walked up to see what the problem was and found that some fellow had driven his Nissan Ennui into another's Honda Drearyness. They were fretting over scratches on the bumper. I pointed out that their collision was not a matter of interest to the cars backed up behind them and suggested that they take their problems elsewhere. The English speaking one demurred. I put my case more forcefully pointing out that neither of the vehicles was of great value to the world and that, as Asians, the two drivers were fated to bang them into objects; one more or less shouldn't really matter. The English speaking one raised his fist, as people are prone to do in traffic jams. By now we'd been joined by a crowd of disgruntled motorists and some scuffling ensued. Not a big deal but an irksome delay and typical of my commute.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Now, methinks you really exaggerate. I have done extensive driving in the GTA for over 42 years and have never witnessed what you claim on an everyday basis. For me to state that what you describe never happens would be naive and untrue but your obvious dislike (make that hatred) of the GTA is rendering you delusional.
I don't hate the GTA. I think the suburbs are a godforsaken wasteland but I rather like parts of Toronto proper.

Most punch ups I see are along the 410, I think that's because the population in the northwest, Italian and Indian, tends to volatility and because the traffic is so slow there that one can get out, throw a tantrum, and get back in without losing any time.

I'll tell you what, I'll carry a camera around for a week or so and try for some pictures. Can't promise, last time I did this some of the street bums downtown threw bottles at me, but I should be able to get a few.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 3rd 2008 at 7:19 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:25 pm
Banned

From your last two posts it strikes me that you're both snobbish and racist.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Youthinks?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

From your last two posts it strikes me that you're both snobbish and racist.
It's so easy to become one in GTA. It's unfortunate that driving habits are so bad in the countries where visible minorities are coming from, and people don't want to learn being moderate. So, if you see road rage or simply stupid behavior, most likely it's someone from sunny countries. I believe, Italy and maybe Southern France should be included but I haven't seen a lot of those folks here.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:13 pm
Banned

It's so easy to become one in GTA.

Decent minded people do not have lessers or dislike others because of skin colour or culture. If one follows one or both of these practices then you are a festering pimple on the buttocks of society.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:41 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

you are a festering pimple on the buttocks of society.
That was a genuine laugh out loud moment, I'll have some of whatever you are smoking.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
That was a genuine laugh out loud moment, I'll have some of whatever you are smoking.
Methinks, it's not that he's smoking, it's that he has problems with his codpiece.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Can I get away with it if I put 'Just passed' on the car ?
I did that the first 2 years i passed my test. Every time (not often thank God)
I did something which irritated the other driver 'I would say sorry I only passed my test last week' ! They were very nice and sympthetic after that.

You guys are scaring about driving in Toronto ?
I was told one needs to have a car in Canada like USA, otherwise you are stuck !
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:24 pm
Banned

Many people who live in Toronto proper manage very well without a car. If one lives in the surrounding/adjoining towns it would be much more difficult to do so. As previously pointed out public transit outside of Toronto is quite poor.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Can I get away with it if I put 'Just passed' on the car ?
I did that the first 2 years i passed my test. Every time (not often thank God)
I did something which irritated the other driver 'I would say sorry I only passed my test last week' ! They were very nice and sympthetic after that.

You guys are scaring about driving in Toronto ?
I was told one needs to have a car in Canada like USA, otherwise you are stuck !
I know many people in Toronto who don't have a car, they live within the city and, when they need a car, rent one or get one from a car sharing service. I know several people who don't have a license to drive a car, again it's a viable arrangement so long as you live within the city (as defined by the subway and streetcars) and don't care for the outdoors. I think it'd be much more limiting than life in the UK without a car but, if you're purely a work and TV kind of person, it would be ok.

There's no equivalent of L plates and so no equivalent of "Just Passed".
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:00 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
We have corner shops, if that helps at all. In two hours you can be in Mississauga or Pickering.
or Niagara Falls, possibly even Buffalo in the US if the traffic is light.

Originally Posted by loser40
Scarborough is referred to as 'Scarberia' to many Torontonians.
It's funny the first time you hear it. I only ever hear it called that on here, and sometimes in the newspapers.

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Scarberia
Scarborough.

Maybe we could start a petition to rename Alliston? I have a couple of suggestions Only kidding Mikey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.