Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Brianscottie
I heard alot of horror stories about the weather. Blizzard conditions and people dying of hyperthermia stuck in their car due to a snowstorm.
One of my Professor's said ' who wants to live in that sparsely populated country at -25 for 8 months of the year!'

To those who live in Ricmond Hill, I heard its a lovely locality but how long would it take to commute from there to Mississauga ? Also to downtown Toronto
I am not afraid of commuting, I was doing the tube including the notorious Northern line
Those "horror stories" are tremendous exaggerations.

Canada as a whole might be sparsely populated, but the first time you're mired in traffic on the QEW, DVP, or 401, the words "sparsely populated" will be the furthest things from your mind.

A Richmond Hill to/from Mississauga commute will be awful.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

I am sorry, I ask so many questions I was a curious child when I was little !

But.......you've all done it and been there and some of you ae still there !

Many thanks James for the offer, will let you know in due course.
Would you ever go back to Toronto ?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why I was thinking of Mississauga was because being a research scientist, all the pharma and biotech companies are based mainly in that area.
No, not all of them. http://www.ctidirectory.com/Search/c...company=161851

To those who live in Richmond Hill, I heard its a lovely locality but how long would it take to commute from there to Mississauga ?
Most of RH is essentially indistinguishable from Mississauga (except of course the bit which I live in).
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have my Simplified Application with CIC. I am expecting to get my 90 day request in the first half of next year.

The truth is when I applied back in January 2007 I don't think it was for all the right reasons and there was a canadian girl involved in my decision. However all of that is water under the bridge now and I will complete the immigration process.

I probably would not have left Canada but I was on a Work Holiday Visa and failed to get a work permit to stay. Since then I have changed abit and I must admit living in Canada for a year made me realise alot of things that I took for granted in the UK when I came back.

I think it would be a shame to get PR and not try it but I plan to head to Vancouver first and see what life brings me on the west coast. If after 5/6 months things aren't happening in Vancouver then I will probably head to Toronto where I have a few good freinds. I would definately go back to Yonge & Eglinton. I liken it to Clapham High Street if you know Clapham at all?

But I must admit I really love living in London and wish I'd moved here when I was 21 so if after a year of Canada it's not clicking I will come home but I will give Canada another shot.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for your tips and advice. I will research yonge/eglington area. This sound like my kind of area. Thanks for the tip that mississauga may not be for me. Do you have any more info about yonge/eglington area. I will really check this area out when I go at easter.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Novacastrian,
Many thanks for the website, will check it out.
What do you think of Whitby ? I know Novartis pharma company are based there.
Are Canadian employers like the Americans with their hire and fire policy ?
I heard you only get 2 weeks annual leave ?

James
I Know Clapham , Clapham junction is one of my favourite stations
I used to visit an Uncle in Streatham Vale. I hope you you get where you want to in Canada. Vancouver is much more beautiful than Toronto I heard. Also you are not far from Seattle.

I think I just got to be a bit courageous and go out there and try it for a year or two. Besides , I lived in Qatar for years when my parents were stationed out there. I still miss those Schwarma kebab sandwiches and the dodgy 12 year old drivers
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I am not sure what your interests are but I wish when I got to Toronto some one had told me about the TCSSC (Toronto Central Sports & Social Club). They run lots of events and activities and it is a great place/environment to meet people and socialize through all 4 seasons. They offer sports for all abilities and everyone (in the main) played the games with a good attitude. After joining the TCSSC I found my life in Toronto improved immensely.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:26 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Novacastrian,
Many thanks for the website, will check it out.
What do you think of Whitby ? I know Novartis pharma company are based there.
Are Canadian employers like the Americans with their hire and fire policy ?
I heard you only get 2 weeks annual leave ?

James
I Know Clapham , Clapham junction is one of my favourite stations
I used to visit an Uncle in Streatham Vale. I hope you you get where you want to in Canada. Vancouver is much more beautiful than Toronto I heard. Also you are not far from Seattle.

I think I just got to be a bit courageous and go out there and try it for a year or two. Besides , I lived in Qatar for years when my parents were stationed out there. I still miss those Schwarma kebab sandwiches and the dodgy 12 year old drivers
When you mention Schwarma's, there are quite a few places that do them in Toronto.

I did however struggle to find dirty donner kebab's.

You can however go and get chinese food after a night out down Spadina avenue in Chinatown. It is always fun when you have a good group.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 25th 2008 at 9:39 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by englishrose1
Thank you for your tips and advice. I will research yonge/eglington area. This sound like my kind of area. Thanks for the tip that mississauga may not be for me. Do you have any more info about yonge/eglington area. I will really check this area out when I go at easter.
Of the top of my head it's hard to say. I pretty much found that Yonge-Eglinton offered me evreything I needed from dry cleaning to coffee. What really impressed me was the quality of take away food you could get. In England it is always greasey and fatty but for example there was a greek place called Yummi's and you could get chicken, rice and salad for around $10 and it was a great meal. There are a couple of English named pubs there like "The Rose and Crown" but my favourite Bar was Gabby's GrillHouse. One thing I really love about Canada is table service and not having to fight your way to get served at the bar. There are some boutiques, plenty of restaurants (some are expensive), a cinema, an LCBO (off license, one of the big pains in Canada is finding places that sell booze), an HMV, a Blockbuster, it has the best smelling Subway Station on the planet aswell!!!!.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 25th 2008 at 9:38 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

dbd3

Slough ! You are having laugh, aren't you ?!
No, it's primarily light industrial with some computer firms. The housing is "tract" or "subdivision" thrown up on farmland. There isn't quite the Indian population that Slough has but there are a significant number of immigrants.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Of the top of my head it's hard to say. I pretty much found that Yonge-Eglinton offered me evreything I needed from dry cleaning to coffee. What really impressed me was the quality of take away food you could get. In England it is always greasey and fatty but for example there was a greek place called Yummi's and you could get chicken, rice and salad for around $10 and it was a great meal. There are a couple of English named pubs there like "The Rose and Crown" but my favourite Bar was Gabby's GrillHouse. One thing I really love about Canada is table service and not having to fight your way to get served at the bar. There are some boutiques, plenty of restaurants (some are expensive), a cinema, an LCBO (off license, one of the big pains in Canada is finding places that sell booze), an HMV, a Blockbuster, it has the best smelling Subway Station on the planet aswell!!!!.
Gabby's is a franchised chain so, if you particularly like that format of bar, you're not limited to any particular area.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

I like the usual theatre, concerts, comedy club, sport events and eating out ethnic, being originally ethnic myself as well as the usual british food.
I did check out the Scottish and the premier league football, where they are shown live.

Ironically, I was going to fly out to Toronto for a break in October, I even booked a couple of tickets to see The Who at Copps Coliseum on 23rd October but had to refund the tickets as I couldn't make it for health reasons.

Any good persian and Lebanese restaurants in Toronto ?
Anyone been to scallywags/

Anyway, got to dash see you all
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by dbd33
Gabby's is a franchised chain so, if you particularly like that format of bar, you're not limited to any particular area.
I liked that Gabby's specifically because it was very small and therefore you would always get chatting to people. Incredibly freindly and a good way to get to know people in the Neighbourhood.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I like the usual theatre, concerts, comedy club, sport events and eating out ethnic, being originally ethnic myself as well as the usual british food.
I did check out the Scottish and the premier league football, where they are shown live.

Ironically, I was going to fly out to Toronto for a break in October, I even booked a couple of tickets to see The Who at Copps Coliseum on 23rd October but had to refund the tickets as I couldn't make it for health reasons.

Anyone been to scallywags/

Anyway, got to dash see you all
Yes. Scallywags does "The Soccer Breakfast" which is lovely. Scallywags is Yonge/ St.Clair if memory serves. Not far from Yonge-Eglington. It is good for premier league, a nightmare to watch England games there, way too busy!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

There are loads of kebab and falafel places, Aida's in the Beach is the one we usually go to. There are more upscale Lebanese places along the Danforth either side of Greektown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.