Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
dbd33 needs to go get a hug from his donkey.
A donkey is something else not available in Mississauga or Pickering; these places lack the fields of the country and the interest of the city.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

cazze1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Moving to Toronto

i'm loving living in Toronto at the moment - just moved over here by myself from the UK, living downtown.

i get excited every time it snows and am looking forward to going skiing this season - i've heard blue mountains are close? when would the season start?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cazze1
i'm loving living in Toronto at the moment - just moved over here by myself from the UK, living downtown.

i get excited every time it snows and am looking forward to going skiing this season - i've heard blue mountains are close? when would the season start?
Should be this weekend. Depending on the snow!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:31 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A donkey is something else not available in Mississauga or Pickering; these places lack the fields of the country and the interest of the city.

Wrong, again.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong, again.
Do enlighten me. Where in Mississauga or Pickering can one keep a donkey? More generally, what merit does Mississauga or Pickering have?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:05 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cazze1

Enjoy the commute with the herd on a satruday morning. I wouldnt fancy it!!

I live about 30 mins from blue and have heard theres a chance they maybe opening in the next week or so but of course always depends on the weather.

Afraid your too late for your discounted 5x7 pass though.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From downtown Toronto on the commuter train it's 45 minutes to Pickering or Mississauga. By car, outside rush hours, perhaps 30-35 minutes. I've lived in both places.
Yes, I know that. My point was to illustrate the difference between travel times (distances) between cities in Canada and Europe. If you travel for 2 hours in any direction from Toronto you'll just be 2 hours away from Toronto (or in Buffalo, which is much worse).
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Moving to Toronto

Hi

Like you I want to move to toronto. Right now I feel very nervous as I just got my 90 day letter so things are still up in the air until the visa arrives in my passport. One thing I know for sure is that this has been my dream from being a child. I live up north in the UK, so moving to Toronto will be a big change. I am torn between mississauga and Downtown Toronto but once I get there I will make my decision. In my mind set I will do everything I can to make Canada my home. I want piece of mind when I turn old, sat in my rocking chair, that I did something in my life I wanted to do. I have no idea what is round the corner but I am sure you will love it. How I look at it is what is the percentage of people who actually come back. It is far less than those who move to Canada. So if others can make a life for themselves I am determined to try. I am giving a really good job but I think that I will not regret it in the slighest. To get to where I am in my early 30's took hard work and I accept it will take hard work to make it work in Canada but I am up to it. It hard just to use internet research, what is needed is explore your new home that is the only way you will be comfortable in it.

The UK has changed so much and for me moving is about me excercise my freedom of choice to try somewhere new.

The 90 day letter makes my dream so real. Time to start saving some cash!

Keep in touch with your journey!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by englishrose1
I am torn between mississauga and Downtown Toronto but once I get there I will make my decision.
Unless you're working in Mississauga and need to be close to work it would be more practical to set up downtown initially; you can then travel out to look at neighbourhoods of potential interest. I can't see ever wanting to go as far out as Mississauga or Pickering but, I suppose, if funds are limited and commuting doesn't bother you there might be a need to look at such places.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
Hi

Like you I want to move to toronto. Right now I feel very nervous as I just got my 90 day letter so things are still up in the air until the visa arrives in my passport. One thing I know for sure is that this has been my dream from being a child. I live up north in the UK, so moving to Toronto will be a big change. I am torn between mississauga and Downtown Toronto but once I get there I will make my decision. In my mind set I will do everything I can to make Canada my home. I want piece of mind when I turn old, sat in my rocking chair, that I did something in my life I wanted to do. I have no idea what is round the corner but I am sure you will love it. How I look at it is what is the percentage of people who actually come back. It is far less than those who move to Canada. So if others can make a life for themselves I am determined to try. I am giving a really good job but I think that I will not regret it in the slighest. To get to where I am in my early 30's took hard work and I accept it will take hard work to make it work in Canada but I am up to it. It hard just to use internet research, what is needed is explore your new home that is the only way you will be comfortable in it.

The UK has changed so much and for me moving is about me excercise my freedom of choice to try somewhere new.

The 90 day letter makes my dream so real. Time to start saving some cash!

Keep in touch with your journey!
It sounds as if you'll be moving over alone? And you're in your 30's? Why on earth would you consider Mississauga? You'd go mad.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys and girls

You all have cheered me up. Also I will miss this British sense of humour.
Someone said I have 'There will be bluebirds over the white cliffs of dover syndrome'!
We were only moving so my lonely Mum could be nearer her sisters and my Late Dad's nephew. Also, being nearer the relatives can drive me barmy.
Also, I do not want to waste my permanent visa status as I paid alot to the lawyer!

Brianscottie
I heard alot of horror stories about the weather. Blizzard conditions and people dying of hyperthermia stuck in their car due to a snowstorm.
One of my Professor's said ' who wants to live in that sparsely populated country at -25 for 8 months of the year!'

Mikey B
Don't forget Guru Nanak (leader of the sikhs and Haile Selaissi (head of the rastafarian contingent)

The reason why I was thinking of Mississauga was because being a research scientist, all the pharma and biotech companies are based mainly in that area. I was rather hoping it would be like Ealing, West London !

To those who live in Ricmond Hill, I heard its a lovely locality but how long would it take to commute from there to Mississauga ? Also to downtown Toronto
I am not afraid of commuting, I was doing the tube including the notorious Northern line

P.S
Can you get good fish and chips out there ? Which shop
Also Cadbury's Wispas bar.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Thanks guys and girls

Someone said I have 'There will be bluebirds over the white cliffs of dover syndrome'!
We were only moving so my lonely Mum could be nearer her sisters and my Late Dad's nephew. Also, being nearer the relatives can drive me barmy.
Also, I do not want to waste my permanent visa status as I paid alot to the lawyer!

Brianscottie
I heard alot of horror stories about the weather. Blizzard conditions and people dying of hyperthermia stuck in their car due to a snowstorm.
One of my Professor's said ' who wants to live in that sparsely populated country at -25 for 8 months of the year!'

Mikey B
Don't forget Guru Nanak (leader of the sikhs and Haile Selaissi (head of the rastafarian contingent)

The reason why I was thinking of Mississauga was because being a research scientist, all the pharma and biotech companies are based mainly in that area. I was rather hoping it would be like Ealing, West London !

To those who live in Ricmond Hill, I heard its a lovely locality but how long would it take to commute from there to Mississauga ? Also to downtown Toronto
I am not afraid of commuting, I was doing the tube including the notorious Northern line

P.S
Duckworth's on the Danforth for fish and chips. Note that commuting to Mississauga implies driving, it's more like Slough than Ealing.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:25 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Thanks guys and girls

Brianscottie

Mikey B

P.S
I used to drive from Mid-Town to Mississauga for work. Took on average 45 minutes each way. I lived in Yonge-Eglinton which I can highly recommend if nightlife is important to you. It is particularly vibrant in the summer. Yonge and Eglinton has lots of bars, restaurants and coffee houses. Another good thing about Yonge-Eglinton is you can get to downtown very easily on the subway or via a taxi, it's about 5km's. Lots of young professionals in the area hense the nick name "young and eligible". Personally it is one of only 3 area's in Toronto I would live if nightlife is important. The other two are King West which has been regenerated recently or the Annex which is very studenty and ecclectic.

I think if you lived in Mississauga you'd be very bored very quickly. I used to work there and for nightlife it had very little it is more for young families I believe. Richmond Hill is nice (very posh) but I don't think it's idealy located if you like your nightlife it is a fair distance from Downtown Toronto if you have a few drinks and want to get home. I know the General Manager of Richmond Hill Toyota if you need a discounted car service.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 25th 2008 at 8:34 pm. Reason: more info
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:26 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Maria_747 said:

Your Professor needs to go back to school for an education. People have died on the Yorkshire Moors and Dartmoor from hyperthermia and no doubt also in other parts of the UK. The number of people dying in cars each year in Canada in snowstorms from hyperthermia is very few indeed.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

dbd3

Slough ! You are having laugh, aren't you ?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.