Reload this Page >

Moving to ON. Teenage daughter with braces

Moving to ON. Teenage daughter with braces

Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to ON. Teenage daughter with braces

hi
when we came over my daughter had had her braces for about 15months we moved to ottawa and were also told they could not work with the braces she had on and that in fact they werent doing any good any way . So the orthodontist we used re did them at a cost of $5,000 and she now has lovely teeth.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, sounds like you'd be cheaper sending your daughter back to the UK every 6 weeks to get them adjusted!

(do the maths) lol
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
wow, sounds like you'd be cheaper sending your daughter back to the UK every 6 weeks to get them adjusted!

(do the maths) lol
Funnily enough my husband has said the same thing!

I'm going to ring round some places to check. i'm not prepared to have them taken off her and refitted. That's just not fair imo.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
Funnily enough my husband has said the same thing!

I'm going to ring round some places to check. i'm not prepared to have them taken off her and refitted. That's just not fair imo.
My kids are too young for braces but I agree with you. To redo them seems like a waste of money, time and pain to me. There are a lots of dentists here that seem to try to just get rich. OH had one in Ottawa that wanted to do a deep cleaning every 8-12 weeks for a few hundred dollars NHS dentist had told us that every 6 months is absolutely efficient. We changed the dentist and actually rang some up and compared services and then found a nice one that only does what needs to be done, explains all options and pros and cons. So shop around. OH has 90% dental coverage as part of his benefit plan with work, so best check that first.

Good luck!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
The lessor of 3% of income or $2,109. Yes - only the portion above this threshold is tax deductible (pooled with medical expenses including the payments for company health coverage).
Neither I nor Turbotax has ever noticed that. But I think it's a provincial tax deduction so that would explain it. In Ontario its a simple 3% of income and no mention of payments for company health cover (which I at least don't make anyway).
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Hi

We had the same problem in 2009. My then 13year old son was into over one year treatment & the Canadian orthodontist in ON said we Will have to start from scratch!
He was quoting thousands too and having just arrived with no private healthcare & no OHIP cover it sounded a lot of money!

Before going Canada do A LOT of research Brits tend to complain a lot about NHS here but we should be grateful to have such service. It may not suit everyone's fancy but I don't complain because in the future we probably won't have NHS service at all
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

I think the NHS is fantastic. No complaints from me. I will not have the braces taken off and refitted. I think it's very unfair. It is not about cost at all. I just wouldn't do that too her. What she is having done through the course of her treatment is invasive enough without making her redo it all.

My husbands health coverage covers for only $1000 per year for dependents. Better than nothing. We'll just need to cover the rest.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:29 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
I think the NHS is fantastic. No complaints from me. I will not have the braces taken off and refitted. I think it's very unfair. It is not about cost at all. I just wouldn't do that too her. What she is having done through the course of her treatment is invasive enough without making her redo it all.

My husbands health coverage covers for only $1000 per year for dependents. Better than nothing. We'll just need to cover the rest.
I would think that most dentists will want to see a treatment game plan for pre existing work as its not always easy to see what the thought process in doidng things another persons way. Maybe you should just wait and start treatment when you get to Canada, things are different here
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

I spoke to her orthodontist who said he'll be happy to provide full and detailed records for her to take to Canada.

I don't want to risk not having them done just in case something goes wrong and we don't end up coming when we think we will then she wont be eligible for them as she'll be 16.

I guess we'll just need to wait and see. The few ortho's who have replied to my contact (in Markham) have said they'll have an initial consult but would be happy to work with previously fitted braces but we wont know for sure till we're there.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:31 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

As said by others, OHIP won't cover dental at all. You should make sure that either / both of you have a health plan, be it personally purchased (think you can do that here), or via your employer. These could also cover eye and drug reimbursement too.

I had all four wisdom teeth taken out in 2010, and I believe it was around $1300. I was, thankfully, covered under my wife's work health plan and ended up paying about $250, the rest was covered by the plan, so it will make a difference.

Dental visits are covered, as are the twice yearly check-ups (including cleaning), and a mouth-guard was also covered (think that was about $500).

I now have a work plan too, so I claim against mine first, and if everything isn't covered there, it's submitted to my wife's plan and that usually covers the remainder.