Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from Scotland to Vancouver

Moving from Scotland to Vancouver

Old Oct 25th 2018, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Scotland to Vancouver

Originally Posted by Shard
Thinking more mentality than style of venue.
​​​​​
I don't know why you say that. If one were to go to a craft brewery in Canada it would be full of men dressed as Edwardians; hair shaved on the sides, flattened Mohican up the middle, full beard, twirly moustache, plaid clothes. The sort of thing the Guardian said people wore in Shoreditch circa 2010. That seems welcoming to me,
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know why you say that. If one were to go to a craft brewery in Canada it would be full of men dressed as Edwardians; hair shaved on the sides, flattened Mohican up the middle, full beard, twirly moustache, plaid clothes. The sort of thing the Guardian said people wore in Shoreditch circa 2010. That seems welcoming to me,
I enjoy this scene too. Check out 33 Acres and Brassneck on Main St Van.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by seascape
Can I ask, what’s driving you away from Scotland?
proximity to England?
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
I enjoy this scene too. Check out 33 Acres and Brassneck on Main St Van.
I imagine DBD only wears his plaid shirt when tending his chickens.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine DBD only wears his plaid shirt when tending his chickens.
The coop is indeed a cool, minimalist space with rustic accents.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 6:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just Vancouver that the OP wanted to hear about! Fascinating as the chit chat is, could we get back to the subject at hand please.. some folks need answers

Originally Posted by Lwasylow
Hi guys
I just received my invitation to apply for PR and I'm in middle of processing documents.
I wanted to check on people opinions about the living in Canada, how you finding comparing to UK and do you regret move. I'm work in IT so hoping the job market in BC will be good as UK one. I did a lot of research however numbers are just numbers.
Kind regards
Originally Posted by Lwasylow
Hi
Hello all,
Much appreciate for all the info and helpful insight.
I'm database developer so work mostly with databases (Oracle).
No particular reason for Vancouver was sounded like a good place to go plus my brother in law stays in California so thought not bad idea to stay close.
But as mention above, once all is confirmed with PR I will go where to best job is.
I prefer to live in small towns that are close in vicinity to a bigger ones ( jobs are usually there).
I got two kids so likely initially rent some 2 bedrooms and later on once happy will probably sell a property here and think about getting something own.

And that's the reason I wanted to get some personal opinions from people regarding the move and how they felt, I know everyone will get a different experience and didn't wanted base my decision purely on numbers ( however they will have an impact ) comparison as I'm strong believer that until you try you will never know.

Again personal opinions will be great help.
Kind Regards
Lukasz

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 26th 2018 at 12:48 am.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

It's not just Vancouver that the OP wanted to hear about! Fascinating as the chit chat is, could we get back to the subject at hand please.. some folks need answers
But this is an almost impossible question to answer!!!

Everything is so very personal .............. I love Vancouver, others hate it (even though they have either never been here or have only visited). Someone else loves Toronto, I don't like it even though I have never spent longer than a week there.

We all have our different ideas ................. including personal preferences for work, social life, private life, recreation, etc etc.

Plus some people want to live in a Canada that is an extension of Britain, hoping to find something here that is missing in Britain while retaining all that they love about "back home".

All I would say is .................... if you are really set on emigrating, come over here for a 3-4 week visit, travel around, meet the locals, see what work is available, even read newspapers online!

Then come determined to make a go of it, forget about what you had back there, realise that this is a different country with different mind sets, customs, humour, etc etc. Set about finding shops that you like, drinking establishments that you like (craft breweries can be great!!), making friends, etc etc.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 8:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

But Scilly the OP specifically requested a comparison with the UK...
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

But Scilly the OP specifically requested a comparison with the UK...
Well then it's colder and duller but made sense for a long time because it had cheap houses and that allowed one to sacrifice quality of life, friends, family, and so on, for the chance to buy lots of stuff. Now that houses aren't as cheap anymore the case for emigration is much weakened.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:51 am
Yo

Well then it's colder and duller but made sense for a long time because it had cheap houses and that allowed one to sacrifice quality of life, friends, family, and so on, for the chance to buy lots of stuff. Now that houses aren't as cheap anymore the case for emigration is much weakened.
True, but I guess house prices are just one aspect, and even there, only Toronto/Vancouver. Adventure must still be a big draw.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 12:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Adventure must still be a big draw.
To Canada?
Old Oct 26th 2018, 12:57 pm
Yo

To Canada?
It's all relative. If you're in a crummy housing estate in Reading, the wide open spaces and happy people must seem like a new leaf in one's life.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 1:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It's all relative. If you're in a crummy housing estate in Reading, the wide open spaces and happy people must seem like a new leaf in one's life.
Well, yes, but people move to Canada to get away from adventure not to find it. If you're a refugee you're likely had enough adventure for a lifetime and crave stability; in that context dull is good. In your example, the improvement is through escaping hassle and drama in Reading for the void of the Prairies; one gives up having to think about being mugged, one gives up having to think at all. Canada offers a slow trudge toward death uninterrupted by events.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 1:28 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Canada offers a slow trudge toward death uninterrupted by events.

DBD, I often disagree with what you say, on various topics, but that's a gem!
Old Oct 26th 2018, 1:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Canada offers a slow trudge toward death uninterrupted by events.
But what's the downside?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.