Reload this Page >

Moving from Scotland to Vancouver

Moving from Scotland to Vancouver

Old Oct 20th 2018, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Lwasylow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Scotland to Vancouver

Hi guys
I just received my invitation to apply for PR and I'm in middle of processing documents.
I wanted to check on people opinions about the living in Canada, how you finding comparing to UK and do you regret move. I'm work in IT so hoping the job market in BC will be good as UK one. I did a lot of research however numbers are just numbers.
Kind regards
Old Oct 20th 2018, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Scotland to Vancouver

But numbers can be very important factors when all is said and done and especially when talking about Vancouver specifically house prices.
I know nothing about IT but you also have to figure in doing the same job can see a variation in salaries say working in Aberdeen to say London. Would you expect to be paid the same? Are house prices similar? Cost of living?
I work in a job that has a salary the same no matter where I work in Canada. So using this logic I would be far better off living in Windsor Ontario than Vancouver as I can't negotiate a higher salary or cost of living allowance.
Chances are I would still be paying the same price give or take a few cents on a 55" 4k TV in both places or filling up my car in both places. Renting a 2 bedroom home will be substantially different and as for buying a home then based on my salary I couldn't afford to buy in Vancouver full stop.
I certainly don't regret moving to Canada but I made the move quite some time ago when things were different. Many have also regretted making the move for a variety of reasons be it missing family or finding a job in their field.
Asking for opinions is a start but in the end it will be you who makes the ultimate decision after doing your own research and perhaps listening to others on their thoughts.
Even today I would not consider moving to Vancouver from where I currently live as I prefer not to rent for the rest of my life and I am fairly content with my life where I am now. Scenery doesn't pay the bills.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

So much depends on your personal circumstances, your age, current job, family, current life fulfillment etc. As FL says, every move is going to be different - there are so many pros and cons to bear in mind.
Some of us are more prepared to take that step, others not do much.
In our case, we felt we’d regret turning down the opportunity more than the risk in taking the plunge - but that was 8 years ago when Canada seemed a brighter place to be than the UK.
Goud luck with your decision
Old Oct 20th 2018, 6:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lwasylow
Hi guys
I just received my invitation to apply for PR and I'm in middle of processing documents.
I wanted to check on people opinions about the living in Canada, how you finding comparing to UK and do you regret move. I'm work in IT so hoping the job market in BC will be good as UK one. I did a lot of research however numbers are just numbers.
Kind regards
Hello and welcome to BE!
Is there a particular reason for choosing BC? It's likely one of the more expensive areas to live in.. is there work there? Have you explored IT work in other areas, such as Toronto / Kitchener / Ottawa etc., - or even the Atlantic Provinces - where your $ will go a lot further! Did you look into ALL areas in Canada for your work? https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/....submit=Search

What is it you do in IT - that encompasses a multitude of professions, lol, some of which are in more demand in specific areas than others. It's always a good idea to go to where the work is..

What are you seeking from Canada? What kind of area would you ideally like to live in - do you like City living, small town living, country living? What kind of housing would you ideally like to have - a high rise apartment, a 4 bedroom detached with great views, a condo, a sprawling ranch or victorian in the country, a little place overlooking the water? What kind of leisure pursuits would you ideally like to, well, pursue? You get the idea... what are your expectations - what are the realistic possibilities - what is the reality likely to be?

I'll be blunt and say the worse thing you can do is to compare it to the UK - you have to embrace Canada for what it is, because you want to be here.. rather than oh it's not too different to London or where-ever, let's give it a go! Constant comparison will lead to dissatisfaction.

If you can give a little insight into what it is you are seeking, we can offer you more insight into what it's like to live here.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 20th 2018 at 6:46 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Hello all,
Much appreciate for all the info and helpful insight.
I'm database developer so work mostly with databases (Oracle).
No particular reason for Vancouver was sounded like a good place to go plus my brother in law stays in California so thought not bad idea to stay close.
But as mention above, once all is confirmed with PR I will go where to best job is.
I prefer to live in small towns that are close in vicinity to a bigger ones ( jobs are usually there).
I got two kids so likely initially rent some 2 bedrooms and later on once happy will probably sell a property here and think about getting something own.

And that's the reason I wanted to get some personal opinions from people regarding the move and how they felt, I know everyone will get a different experience and didn't wanted base my decision purely on numbers ( however they will have an impact ) comparison as I'm strong believer that until you try you will never know.

Again personal opinions will be great help.
Kind Regards
Lukasz
Old Oct 20th 2018, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is expensive so really look into the costs vs income and see if it will be a lifestyle you desire.

Average 1 bedroom apartment for rent is pushing 2,000 dollars a month.

Also try and find out what incomes are like in your industry here, pay in Vancouver can be lower for some industries when conpared to other Canadian citys.

High cost of living does not always mean more pay.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It is almost impossible for families with 2 children to be able to afford to rent or buy in Vancouver at the moment, and I don't see much changing in that area for at least the next several years.

We moved to Vancouver for my OH's job just over 50 years ago, and have never regretted it ........... but our daughter cannot afford to live here even though she and her husband are both in very good jobs and probably have a joint take home salary of over $100,000 (never been told and never asked, just guessing!).

Also, Vancouver is very different now from what it was when we moved here, and I honestly don't know whether it would be as attractive to us if we were new immigrants.

It's become the big city with very high high-priced apartment and condo buildings cutting out all the lovely views of the mountains, the harbour and the ocean.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...later on once happy will probably sell a property here and think about getting something own....
Equity is likely to be a big factor then . On the other hand, if "a property" means you have a monopoly board's worth.....
Old Oct 20th 2018, 10:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
Kind regards
Vancouver job market is very small compared to London, on the other hand you only need one job. Living is ok. Expensive housing in Vancouver. Lots of nature, but not as much culture and a slower pace of life. Just curious, how do you get an invitation to apply for PR, do you have to request or pre-approval?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 1:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Vancouver job market is very small compared to London, on the other hand you only need one job. Living is ok. Expensive housing in Vancouver. Lots of nature, but not as much culture and a slower pace of life. Just curious, how do you get an invitation to apply for PR, do you have to request or pre-approval?

You apply through Express Entry and enter the EE Pool of candidates, if you have sufficient points you may be invited from the EE pool to apply for PR - that's an Invitation To Apply ... you then accept the invitation, complete the application for PR and it's processed in due course. HTH

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 21st 2018 at 1:43 am.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:19 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You apply through Express Entry and enter the EE Pool of candidates, if you have sufficient points you may be invited from the EE pool to apply for PR - that's an Invitation To Apply ... you then accept the invitation, complete the application for PR and it's processed in due course. HTH
Thanks Siouxie 😀
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Would make more sense to look for housing in range of 1hr drive from centre. Im currently travelling to work about 40 min anyway so it's not a big deal. Or everything in Vancouver area is crazy expensive?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:51 am
Yo

Would make more sense to look for housing in range of 1hr drive from centre. Im currently travelling to work about 40 min anyway so it's not a big deal. Or everything in Vancouver area is crazy expensive?
Depends on your budget, but it's all fairly expensive. Not much change for $1MN for a modest house at 40 mins away. If you're dead set on Vancouver (ocean, climate, size) then housing will always be a headache, if your aim is more Canada (in general) and mountains, then you can lose the headache by considering Calgary.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Not dead set, will have to be realistic. You made all valid points which will consider carefully. All ultimately will depend on job market. Still got time to make a decision.
Cheers guys
Old Oct 21st 2018, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Chilliwack is about 70 to 90 mins away (highway sucks though so commute is not fun.) And is about as low as you will find housing wise but its still a half million average price.

500,000 and up for the most part for any location within commuting distance of Vancouver.

The housing market is cooling a bit but it will never come down to affordable region for an average Vancouver earner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.