British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving parents to Canada?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-parents-canada-939596/)

KennyJosie Jul 16th 2021 11:10 pm

Moving parents to Canada??

So, I've been in Canada for 14 Years now and my parents back home are 84 and 85 years old, with some health issues.
They've outlived most of their friends, relatives and support over there and I'd like for them to be here for me to look after.
Is it possible for them to come over here and live with me in their "December Years", given that they have preexisting conditions and their age?
I'm not sure regarding NHS \ Canadian Health Services \ Health Insurance side of things.

Thanks for any input!

Kenny

Former Lancastrian Jul 16th 2021 11:21 pm

Re: Moving parents to Canada??

Given their ages I would definitely be looking at the Parent/Grandparent Super Visa as found in the below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...uper-visa.html

PMM Jul 17th 2021 4:20 am

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13030250)
Given their ages I would definitely be looking at the Parent/Grandparent Super Visa as found in the below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...uper-visa.html

1, The OP should note that they would not be eligible for Provincial Medical Insurance, and as Super Visa applicant must have insurance, with existing conditions, it may be quite expensive.

jackinthetree Jul 17th 2021 5:27 pm

You can also try the PR route. Good luck.

btar Jul 19th 2021 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by jackinthetree (Post 13030415)
You can also try the PR route. Good luck.

There's also the PGP scheme but acceptance - even to apply - is by no means certain; it also requires health checks.
See Sponsor your family members to immigrate to Canada - Canada.ca for details.

Mikeypm Jul 20th 2021 8:21 pm

I brought my parents over on the Supervisa and the medical insurance is pricey. After several attempts to get through the Parent & Grand Parent PR Stream we got through and its taken till June of 2021 for them to get COPR. Now trying to figure out to do the final steps as they can not flag pole and the Vancouver office arent doing in person PR appointments.

btar Jul 20th 2021 8:43 pm

One might be forgiven for thinking that it's about time the Vancouver office started processing people in person again. I wonder if the recent announcement regarding the opening of the US border will permit flag-poling soon too.
Speaking as a 70 something year old parent who arrived last year, and as one that has lived in all four corners of the globe, this has been the hardest move we have made so for someone well into their 80's, it might be very hard. It's not that things are so different, it's trying to find out how to do it and then remembering how it was done when it pops up again!

Jerseygirl Jul 20th 2021 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 13031415)
I brought my parents over on the Supervisa and the medical insurance is pricey. After several attempts to get through the Parent & Grand Parent PR Stream we got through and its taken till June of 2021 for them to get COPR. Now trying to figure out to do the final steps as they can not flag pole and the Vancouver office arent doing in person PR appointments.

We came on the SV 8 years ago. We were very lucky and got PR within a year or so. Yes insurance is expensive and will probably only cover emergency care. Worth checking if it will cover on going issues, ie cancer, cardiac issues etc. The OP should also consider that parents will probably only be considered for PR, if they are deemed not to exceed the maximum amount allowed for Provincial medical coverage.

IMO the problem with bringing the elderly on the SV, is that it is only for 10 years and needs renewing every 2 years. It is not a definite route to PR.

jackinthetree Jul 22nd 2021 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 13031415)

Congrats on getting them on to the PR stream - that's quite a coup. I'm sorry about the frustration of these next steps, hopefully they sort out the processes soon enough

jackinthetree Jul 22nd 2021 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by btar (Post 13031425)
One might be forgiven for thinking that it's about time the Vancouver office started processing people in person again. I wonder if the recent announcement regarding the opening of the US border will permit flag-poling soon too.
Speaking as a 70 something year old parent who arrived last year, and as one that has lived in all four corners of the globe, this has been the hardest move we have made so for someone well into their 80's, it might be very hard. It's not that things are so different, it's trying to find out how to do it and then remembering how it was done when it pops up again!

Just remember - Canadians are polite and as long as you stay polite, you will be deemed a friendly citizen. More seriously, hope it gets better and better