Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving out of home with no work permits

Moving out of home with no work permits

Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:34 am
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice
Default Moving out of home with no work permits

Hi

I wonder if someone can advise, as I've been burying my head in the sand pretending this isn't all happening and fear I've now left it too late to find alternative options.

I'll try to summarise briefly the situation:-

1) Still no TWP - application with London since April, should hear something within the next few weeks but no news as yet.

2) House sold and completes third week of July.

3) If we do get TWP then we will be moving to Canada as soon as flights can be arranged.

4) If we don't get TWP then we will move into rented accommodation whilst we consider our options.

5) If we haven't heard by moving date, then we will move in with parents.

6) If we get more requests for information then we need to look at short term temporary accommodation (ie, if we need medicals or anything else), probably for about 3 months.

So the big question is what do we do with our "stuff" - we weren't planning on taking everything but splitting the contents into two - the things that are definately going to Canada and the things that we would keep if moving within the UK (ie, beds and dining room furniture that is old and knackered but not worth binning if we end up with a "no" from CHC).

We had three removal companies down to quote ages ago:-

a) Robinsons have not got back to us at all about any of our queries, they didn't quote properly and missed off a load of things that we asked them to quote for, tried phoning and emailing them but to no avail, so can only assume they don't want the business.

b) PSS were at least 50% more expensive.

c) Third company (GB Liners) are coming round to re-evaluate this week but they are very busy and want to tie me down to a date this week but I feel I have nothing to compare against.

Currently I think our options are:-

* Pack for an international move and put into shipping companies storage until we hear back on the WPs, then get a seperate quote for domestic storage for the stuff that we would need if we were to stay here.

* Put everything into domestic storage until we know what is happening.

* Pack for a local move with the options of changing to an international move if the work permits come though.

So my questions specifically are:-

i) Has anyone been in a similar limbo situation and what did do? Did you move your things into a local storage area or did you go for the full pack and put into store?

ii) Are there any more recommendations for removal companies?

iii) Any other options I haven't thought about?

Thank you and sorry this got so long.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving out of home with no work permits

I'd be putting it all into storage. However, label boxes - appropriately i.e. either Canada or UK (two stacks). Also, beware storage is expensive (negotiate a deal - I did) and beware storage co's insist on insurance whilst in storage (and their own insurance is horribly expensive). Speak to your home insurer who may be able to do a deal. Again, I did that. Wouldnt part with everything in case you stay in the U.K. Good luck
Old Jun 29th 2009, 6:39 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Muskoka
I'd be putting it all into storage. However, label boxes - appropriately i.e. either Canada or UK (two stacks). Also, beware storage is expensive (negotiate a deal - I did) and beware storage co's insist on insurance whilst in storage (and their own insurance is horribly expensive). Speak to your home insurer who may be able to do a deal. Again, I did that. Wouldnt part with everything in case you stay in the U.K. Good luck
Thank you. Funnily enough that is what we were looking at today, putting it all into storage, got a few people coming this way to quote for that over the next few days.

Thanks for the hints re insurance too.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Look at self - storage - Yellow Box, etc (YB do insist on insurance) be warned - is exhorbitantly expensive. But barter on storage price - I did