Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ottawa

Moving to Ottawa

Old Jul 5th 2018, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ottawa

Our daughter learnt Parisian French at her school in BC, began with conversational lessons in Grade 1, moved onto reading and grammar in Grade 3.

She had difficulty being understood and understanding in Old Montreal at age 12 .... and that was just asking simple questions!
Old Jul 5th 2018, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
At my children's, francophone, school, there was a pyramid of linguistic snobbery. One was not to sound as if one came from Canada and at, no cost, should one sound like a franco-Ontarian. They are, of course, franco-Ontarians but I rarely point that out.
Our kids went through french immersion here in Ottawa and have been to Paris and other parts of France and have been complimented on their french and people in France couldn't detect any french canadian or even worse franco Ontarian linguistics. The only time our kids had a hard time was with an elderly lady in Nice

Side note: SIL is visiting us now from Hamilton area. 100% cradle, hates footie, you get the picture. England/Colombia game ends and Jordan Pickford and Jordan Henderson (the two Jordan's) are being interviewed after the game. Two geordies on the team and she couldn't understand a word of what they were saying. It's all what you're used to.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 11:26 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

At my children's, francophone, school, there was a pyramid of linguistic snobbery. One was not to sound as if one came from Canada and at, no cost, should one sound like a franco-Ontarian. They are, of course, franco-Ontarians but I rarely point that out.
Try going to Saguenay! Inpenetrable accent and far too many fingers for the headcount.

Souvette seems convinced that her brother's three kids are Quebecois. They are not. They were all born and raised in New Brunswick.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 1:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

My French is far from fluent. But when I do speak it, it's with (I've been told) a Lyonnais accent - thanks to my high school teacher who hailed from somewhere near Grenoble. I can pick up a fair amount of Montreal or Quebec french, but struggle with some of my brother-in-law's wife's family who come from somewhere out on the Gaspe. Acadian and New Brunswick accents defeat me more often than not...

Teachers at my kids' French Immersion school seem to have a mix of Franco-Ontarian and Quebecois accents.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
My French is far from fluent. But when I do speak it, it's with (I've been told) a Lyonnais accent - thanks to my high school teacher who hailed from somewhere near Grenoble. I can pick up a fair amount of Montreal or Quebec french, but struggle with some of my brother-in-law's wife's family who come from somewhere out on the Gaspe. Acadian and New Brunswick accents defeat me more often than not...

Teachers at my kids' French Immersion school seem to have a mix of Franco-Ontarian and Quebecois accents.
Twenty-five rabbits was one of the phrases they had to repeat quickly, like a tongue twister, to see if they'd picked up any hint of localism; soink, lapoing, it's like innit, innit?
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Twenty-five rabbits was one of the phrases they had to repeat quickly, like a tongue twister, to see if they'd picked up any hint of localism; soink, lapoing, it's like innit, innit?
How now, brown cow?

Every language has its regional accent shibboleths, I suspect.

Another French one I remember from school was "a good white wine." Easily distinguished vowel sounds were required for un, bon, vin, and blanc - and not a diphthong among them, please.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jul 6th 2018 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
How now, brown cow?

Every language has its regional accent shibboleths, I suspect.

Another French one I remember from school was "a good white wine." Easily distinguished vowel sounds were required for un, bon, vin, and blanc - and not a diphthong among them, please.
Indeed

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party
I sell sea shells on the sea shore
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, a peck of picked peppers Peter Piper picked, if Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where are the peppers that Peter Piper picked
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 6th 2018 at 2:48 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 3:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Indeed

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party
I sell sea shells on the sea shore
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, a peck of picked peppers Peter Piper picked, if Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where are the peppers that Peter Piper picked
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's son, I'm only plucking pheasants 'til the pheasant plucker comes.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's son, I'm only plucking pheasants 'til the pheasant plucker comes.
Oh well, if that's the game, may I please present:

Mrs Puggy Wuggy has a square cut punt. Not a punt cut square, just a square cut punt. It's round in the stern and blunt in the front. Mrs Puggy Wuggy has a square cut punt.