Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ottawa

Moving to Ottawa

Old Jul 1st 2018, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Ottawa

well after 3 years in Calgary and loving it we have to move to Ottawa. Husband has been there for over a year in his job and has been promoted so as, son has graduated, he wants us to be with him. Thanks to Air Canada and WestJet can’t afford him to fly home too often so a move is on the cards. Husband works in Kanata and we need to be near to public transport so any recommendations? Also I have been recommended for a job but French is mandatory and have to pass an oral exam, is it France French or Québécois French? What should I expect from Ottawa? TIA
Old Jul 1st 2018, 11:50 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ottawa

Bus service to and from Kanata is OK. We live in north Kanata, where most of the high-tech stuff is, but I get the bus downtown every day. Taxi takes about 40 mins to the airport and is around $60 plus.
Also there are direct flights from Ottawa to London on Air Canada, which we are happy about.
Can't help much with the French language as I don't speak it, but my wife knows euro-French quite well and she has quite a few problems understanding Quebec-French, so I guess it's somewhat different.
Otherwise you're about 4 hours drive / bus / train from Toronto and 2 hours from Montreal. Hope that helps.
Old Jul 1st 2018, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegSnow
well after 3 years in Calgary and loving it we have to move to Ottawa. Husband has been there for over a year in his job and has been promoted so as, son has graduated, he wants us to be with him. Thanks to Air Canada and WestJet can’t afford him to fly home too often so a move is on the cards. Husband works in Kanata and we need to be near to public transport so any recommendations? Also I have been recommended for a job but French is mandatory and have to pass an oral exam, is it France French or Québécois French? What should I expect from Ottawa? TIA
I’m in the same general area (south Kanata) but work from home. My French is rusty but our children are fluently bilingual. In Kanata you rarely hear French. I hear Chinese and Indian speakers more often.

Quebec French is very hard to understand for me. I learnt Parisian French and my cousins wife from Paris was quite dismissive of it. Words/expressions that haven’t been used in France in a long time.

The other poster mentioned the taxi cost to the airport. Uber is much cheaper.
Old Jul 1st 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Quebec French is very hard to understand for me. I learnt Parisian French and my cousins wife from Paris was quite dismissive of it. Words/expressions that haven’t been used in France in a long time.
I've been surprised to discover that Ontarian French is the one I have the biggest problem with. Two week vacation to Montreal, Quebec City & Sherbrooke, all done in French, I had problems understanding one single elderly person the entire time. Manitoban French, taking a university module in French including a presentation and a debate with a natively Franco-Manitoban (where I scored 95%, so I'm pretty confident about my abilities), not a problem. Some issues around accents (eg I expected 'juridique' to rhyme with 'leak', not 'pick') but generally fine. One class we had done by two natively Franco-Ontarians, who work in Ottawa (not sure where in ON they were from originally). An accent I'd never conceived of before (suddenly 'etre' no longer rhymed with 'Petra', but with 'Haida'), I could barely pick out a few words in every sentence... that was a painful few hours
Old Jul 1st 2018, 5:43 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Quebec and even I struggle with the accent. My wife, who is from Quebec struggles with some Quebec accents.

The Ottawa Valley accent is particularly horrible (both English and French).
Old Jul 1st 2018, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Get used to hearing waaah instead of we for oui!
Old Jul 1st 2018, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I've been surprised to discover that Ontarian French is the one I have the biggest problem with. Two week vacation to Montreal, Quebec City & Sherbrooke, all done in French, I had problems understanding one single elderly person the entire time. Manitoban French, taking a university module in French including a presentation and a debate with a natively Franco-Manitoban (where I scored 95%, so I'm pretty confident about my abilities), not a problem. Some issues around accents (eg I expected 'juridique' to rhyme with 'leak', not 'pick') but generally fine. One class we had done by two natively Franco-Ontarians, who work in Ottawa (not sure where in ON they were from originally). An accent I'd never conceived of before (suddenly 'etre' no longer rhymed with 'Petra', but with 'Haida'), I could barely pick out a few words in every sentence... that was a painful few hours
Ontarian French and Acadian French are the worst for me to hear and I find the hardest to understand.
Old Jul 1st 2018, 10:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved your thread as the Maple Leaf Forum is for off topic posts - and this post is about moving within Canada
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie, guess any job in government is out then as this job was with the health service and I would just about get by with an oral French exam speaking French from France but don’t stand a chance with québécois French even after listening to Habs commentary. I was told that France French is French 2.0 whereas québécois French is peasant French from the 1700s that has never evolved.

Pleased to hear Kanata is pretty well connected transit wise. I’ll be honest not looking forward to moving, I don’t like the sound of the weather for starters but I guess if I want to stay married move I must
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie, guess any job in government is out then as this job was with the health service and I would just about get by with an oral French exam speaking French from France but don’t stand a chance with québécois French even after listening to Habs commentary. I was told that France French is French 2.0 whereas québécois French is peasant French from the 1700s that has never evolved.

Pleased to hear Kanata is pretty well connected transit wise. I’ll be honest not looking forward to moving, I don’t like the sound of the weather for starters but I guess if I want to stay married move I must
It depends on the govt dept you apply to. Some require French but some don't. It also depends on the position, a programmer for example does not require any French to be accepted.
I speak, write and comprehend Parisian French fluently. I sometimes struggle to understand some Quebecois colleagues but I get by just fine. I just show that I didn't catch what they are trying to say and they either use different words to explain it or say it again in English. In the dept where I work, I speak more French than English.
Kanata isn't bad at all. I live in Barrhaven which is 15 mins from Kanata
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I was told that France French is French 2.0 whereas québécois French is peasant French from the 1700s that has never evolved.
Excellent summary of quebecois French. The vast majority of the emigration from France to Quebec had ended by the late 1800's in the pre-airplane/pre-internet/pre-telephone era so communication with France and the French language was difficult and the French language in Canada remained quite stagnant. Quebec has a whole sub-culture of celebrities in TV/music/movies/media that are home grown that don't have any following in France or english Canada.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 11:29 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that bilingualism is mandatory in Ottawa's hospitals, although the Montfort hospital is largely franco.

Most of the original settlers came from Normandy and brought their language with them. It wasn't until later that Louis XIV and Cardinal Richelieu imposed Modern French (ie Parisian French).

By contrast, Acadians (and Creole) generally trace back to SW France and speak very differently. My wife has difficulty understanding Acadians.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

OH was visiting with some scientists in Ontario many years ago. He learnt Parisian French in England and has kept it up.

But the others at a BBQ were ....... 1 Acadian, 1 Quebecois, 1 Manitoban French, and 1 New Brunswicker

He said they all managed to make themselves understood, but had a great deal of fun comparing the different words and pronunciations.

I think the free flowing alcohol may also have helped / hindered!
Old Jul 4th 2018, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I've been surprised to discover that Ontarian French is the one I have the biggest problem with.
At my children's, francophone, school, there was a pyramid of linguistic snobbery. One was not to sound as if one came from Canada and at, no cost, should one sound like a franco-Ontarian. They are, of course, franco-Ontarians but I rarely point that out.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

True stories!

My buddy is French Canadian (brought up in Montreal). Of course I teased him that the French would not understand his accent in France, he of course thought he would be received with open arms as a long lost cousin!

First occasion, he was delighted that an old French lady thought he was from Marsaille - he was so happy until I pointed out that the French think that the Marsaille accent is in the French what Geordie is to English!

Second occasion, he was talking to two French guys in a bar on Bordeaux in what he thought was French. I noticed that one of the guys was muttering to the other guy after everything my buddy said. It dawned on me that he was 'translating' from Quebeqoius to true French - biddy very unhappy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.