Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ontario - Driving License?

Moving to Ontario - Driving License?

Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

raynerlm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ontario - Driving License?

Hello!

I have been given my POE letter for a two year working holiday visa (I'm so excited!!). And I've started to look into how driving in Canada will work.

I have had a UK provisional license since 2013 but only passed my test in December 2016. (Passed first time just had lots of brief periods of learning).

So, can anyone help me out with a few questions? I've looked on so many websites I don't know what makes sense any more!

If I move to Ontario in September 2017 what license will I be eligible for?

I assume that provisional experience does not count as driving experience?

I am assuming I will be able to drive on a G1 license and take a G2 test in December 2018 (or August if I do a course?)?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

OttawaLo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ontario - Driving License?

When i moved to Ontario (Ottawa) in 2012 i just switched my UK license to a full Canadian license. No test, no nothing. Fill in the form, get a pic taken, pay your money and theres your new license thank you very much! Easy peasy!
Old Jan 25th 2017, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

raynerlm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OttawaLo
When i moved to Ontario (Ottawa) in 2012 i just switched my UK license to a full Canadian license. No test, no nothing. Fill in the form, get a pic taken, pay your money and theres your new license thank you very much! Easy peasy!
Interesting... Sounds ideal. How long had you had your license?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raynerlm
Hello!

I have been given my POE letter for a two year working holiday visa (I'm so excited!!). And I've started to look into how driving in Canada will work.

I have had a UK provisional license since 2013 but only passed my test in December 2016. (Passed first time just had lots of brief periods of learning).

So, can anyone help me out with a few questions? I've looked on so many websites I don't know what makes sense any more!

I am assuming I will be able to drive on a G1 license and take a G2 test in December 2018 (or August if I do a course?)?

Read all about it here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...ence#section-1

I don't think it will be a simple exchange as you will not have had at least two years post-test driving experience. Have a careful read of the section 3/4 of the way down the 'page' entitled 'Less than 2 years driving experience (with exchange)'.

I am sure others here will have first hand experience of this and will be along shortly.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raynerlm
Hello!

As Hurlabrick said, you won't be able to do a straight swap as you don't have 2 years driving experience on a full licence. You can, however, get 'credit' for the time you have held it against the time requirements to be able to take the G2 road test.

https://www.drivetest.ca/licences/li..._exchange.html
https://www.drivetest.ca/licences/li...e-credits.html (has more info about 'credit')

From the 2nd link:
C. Amount of Experience

You can claim 12 months of driving experience. Ideally, you should bring your foreign driver’s licence to the DriveTest Centre when you first apply. Depending on the length of previous experience declared, there are varying requirements.

Less Than 12 Months

You must wait 12 months, less any credited driving experience, prior to taking the Class G2 road test. Then you must wait 12 more months before you can take your Class G road test to earn your full Class G licence.

Declare less than 1 year of driving experience on your application form.
Provide an original, valid driver's licence and other pieces of acceptable ID.
Successfully complete the vision and written knowledge test at the DriveTest Centre.
Adhere to the applicable wait times before attempting the Class G2 road test.
Wait one year before attempting the Class G road test to earn your full Class G licence.
Pay all the applicable fees.
Make sure to bring proof of driving history/abstract / insurance, plus bring letters from insurers confirming you have not had an accident (see the wiki for the letter details) as insurance is very expensive in Ontario.

If you are able to get 'credit' for the time you have held a licence then it seems you may be able to take the G2 road test after 3-4 months.. but check with them!

You can see the steps required (and restrictions) for a full licence here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-g-dr...ce-new-drivers

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 25th 2017 at 5:59 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Also, to be on the safe side, get a DVLA letter / print of your driving record. Download and print one of these off and send it off. I have and you get a three page printout of your complete record.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...driving-record