Moving to Okotoks, Calgary

Wikiposts

Moving to Okotoks, Calgary

Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:25 am
Just Joined

nevmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Okotoks, Calgary

Hi,

We're looking to move from England to Okotoks.
I wanted to get feedback from anyone who has relocated to Okotoks or Calgary.
We have 2 children 3 & 8 and I really want to make sure the move will be good for them.
I've done as much research as possible but if anyone has further information or advice on relocation, pros & cons of living in Alberta and any good squash & rugby clubs! that would be very helpful.

A very general thread but all information I can source the better!

Thank you.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Okotoks, Calgary

Also we're looking to send our eldest to Strathcona-Tweedsmuir. Does anyone else send their children there? any reviews of the school would be welcomed!

Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nevmac
Hi,

We're looking to move from England to Okotoks.
I wanted to get feedback from anyone who has relocated to Okotoks or Calgary.
We have 2 children 3 & 8 and I really want to make sure the move will be good for them.
I've done as much research as possible but if anyone has further information or advice on relocation, pros & cons of living in Alberta and any good squash & rugby clubs! that would be very helpful.

A very general thread but all information I can source the better!

Thank you.
Okotoks is similar to any of the communities in Calgary. If you will be working in Okotoks, locate to Okotoks; if you will be working in Calgary, locate to Calgary. The reason I say this is that, if you live in Okotoks and work in Calgary, I would imagine that the commute, after a while, will begin to annoy.

I think that Okotoks has great facilities for kids that are, usually, less congested than in Calgary. So much so that one of my daughters attends her swimming and skating lessons in Okotoks rather than Calgary.

Also we're looking to send our eldest to Strathcona-Tweedsmuir. Does anyone else send their children there? any reviews of the school would be welcomed!

Thanks
This school is deemed to be a good school. I am not sure if it a state school, or whether it is fee paying.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the response.
Our office is in down town Calgary however I will be alternating between there and working from home so not as concerned about the commute.
I'm not sure of the cost and timings however the C train could be an option?

Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

We were out in Okotoks last spring on a reccie trip.

It seemed to be a great place for a family - good schools and lots to do, and easily commutable to Calgary. I guess your opinion on that will change depending on the commute you are used to in the UK, but the guy we stayed with has done it for over 2 years without complaint.

I'm sure there are many other places similar to Okotoks, and we're hoping to do another reccie next year to check others out.

And the train doesn't run as far as Okotoks, but I believe there are plans to extend it that far, although I've heard comments from people saying they doubt that will happen this century
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response.
Our office is in down town Calgary however I will be alternating between there and working from home so not as concerned about the commute.
I'm not sure of the cost and timings however the C train could be an option?

Thanks
Let's see if you are saying that after you have done that commute for a year or two.

If you wish to take the C-train, you will likely park at Somerset LRT station. I live in Somerset. The spaces are full by 6:30 a.m. each morning. So, unless you obtain a reserved space (non-reserved spaces are free, reserved ones costs $73.50 a month - there is currently a waiting list of 200+), you will have to leave Okotoks in time to obtain one. I have no idea how quickly the stations further north fill up but, if you choose to go to one of them, you will be adding to your commute time each way.

A ticket for the C-Train is currently $94 each month.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 5th 2012 at 2:20 am.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scribe123
We were out in Okotoks last spring on a reccie trip.

It seemed to be a great place for a family - good schools and lots to do, and easily commutable to Calgary. I guess your opinion on that will change depending on the commute you are used to in the UK, but the guy we stayed with has done it for over 2 years without complaint.

I'm sure there are many other places similar to Okotoks, and we're hoping to do another reccie next year to check others out.

And the train doesn't run as far as Okotoks, but I believe there are plans to extend it that far, although I've heard comments from people saying they doubt that will happen this century
The C-Train is operated by the City of Calgary. The City stops a significant distance short of Okotoks. For it to go to Okotoks, the residents of Okotoks will have to pay for it. That will not happen.

FWIW, there is a perennial argument in Calgary as to whether those living outside of the City should have to pay a higher fee to use the C-Train as the tickets are subsidized by Calgary tax payers. I have no idea how that argument will be resolved.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Ok so driving seems the better option.
Our office is right on the east side of down town so not far from Deerfoot trail.

I understand that traffic can be bad, but where isn't anymore?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok so driving seems the better option.
Our office is right on the east side of down town so not far from Deerfoot trail.

I understand that traffic can be bad, but where isn't anymore?
Outside of the downtown core, traffic is not really that bad in Calgary, particularly if you choose the location of your home to work sensibly.

Again, how the traffic will be depends upon the time of the day one is travelling. Deerfoot to downtown will be a nightmare during rush hour, both in and out. On a normal day it will be steady albeit busy. An accident during rush hour, essentially, shuts down Deerfoot, with much teeth gnashing! Add in an overnight deluge of snow and one can easily triple travelling time.

Don't underestimate the cost of parking downtown. Not an issue if you have free parking via the employer.

If I was looking to avoid the congestion in the UK, I would not choose to live in Okotoks and commute to downtown using Deerfoot. Then again, I would not choose to live in Okotoks and commute to downtown using any form of transport. For me, this would only work if I was travelling when others are not, i.e., in the middle of the night.

If I was working downtown, I would live in Calgary within easy access to the C-Train. As I have said many times before, I do not see the benefit of living in Okotoks and working in downtown Calgary. Living in Okotoks would only work for me if I was working in deep south east or south west Calgary. I accept that others have differing views.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:35 am
Just Joined

As we have children, We want to live as close to their school as possible and have the best environment from them to grow up in and experience.
From our visit I felt Okotoks offered this.
I appreciate what you're saying and I know there will be times when I curse it!
However my role is covering North America, so it will be a mixture of working from home, our Calgary office or airport.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As we have children, We want to live as close to their school as possible and have the best environment from them to grow up in and experience.
From our visit I felt Okotoks offered this.
I appreciate what you're saying and I know there will be times when I curse it!
However my role is covering North America, so it will be a mixture of working from home, our Calgary office or airport.
OK. It sounds as if you have your mind made up. I wish you all the best.

Just out of interest, why do you believe that they will live closer to their schools in Okotoks than elsewhere? All of my children have walked to their elementary, junior high and high schools.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:47 am
Just Joined

We want to send them to Strathcona-Tweedsmuir school and the drive is shortest from Okotoks.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:09 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Won't your kids be a bit miffed if they can't catch a yellow school bus?

That's a big part of the "school experience" here
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Hi - We located to Okotoks July last year, it's a great community with everything you could possibly need, it has a population I believe of about 25,000 and has amazing facitilies for a community of that size.

Crime is low and the people seem friendly enough. There are a lot of ex-pats in Okotoks, I believe it's referred to as 'Little Britain', not sure if that would be a problem for you or not?

I have 2 boys aged 15 and 11, they love it here and have settled really well.

I agree that the commute would be a pain but as said if you don't go into the downtown core and you can work from home a few days a week it wouldn't be so bad.

Fire away if you have any questions.

Stuart.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Strathcona-Tweedsmuir is a fee-paying school, going from Grade 1 to Grade 12. The fees for this school year -- 2011-2012 -- for Grade 1 to Grade 3 are $14,920 per year, and for Grade 12 they are $17,800.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.