Reload this Page >

Moving with no plans

Moving with no plans

Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by Gbrod
theres things calles hostels, which only cost around 250-300 a week so I know I can spend a few weeks on that because I have already looked that over in a lot of cities.
Thank you for your sarcastic reply..

I gave you the hotel prices because you said..

QUOTE: I could always try as for the first few weeks when I come over it will be spent in hotels so can always travel around that province.

Old Jun 5th 2019, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

im bring roughly $12k to help start but I’m not sure how much I’m gonna spend on renting and a car. Cities I don’t mind but I’m not sure I would have skills to work in a city , I could always try as for the first few weeks when I come over it will be spent in hotels so can always travel around that province.
Don't really needs skills to work in a Canadian city, city's have jobs for all skill levels really.

Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Most apartment rentals (which are generally unfurnished) are for a minimum of 1 year
It's 2 and a half years since I sold the duplex and although a couple of my tenants stayed a few years I never had one wanting anything more than month to month, including those who didn't become a tenant.

One aims for a long term tenant but month to month appears to be the norm around here.

Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Gbrod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's 2 and a half years since I sold the duplex and although a couple of my tenants stayed a few years I never had one wanting anything more than month to month, including those who didn't become a tenant.

One aims for a long term tenant but month to month appears to be the norm around here.
where abouts is this ? And so it’s quit normally to rent a place a monthly term instead of 6 months or a year ?
thank you
Old Jun 5th 2019, 9:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In most Provinces you will be required to rent for a minim period of 12 months, on a contract - then once the 1 year expires you would go on 'month to month' with 30/60 days notice to terminate the agreement.. Some Landlords will let for shorter periods, but not many... that's why I suggested Homestay until you decide on where you want to be for a bit longer

You can read more in our Wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada
Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

1 year leases are the norm in BC,but month to month can be found, just not as common unless a room in a house or such.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 12:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

where abouts is this ? And so it’s quit normally to rent a place a monthly term instead of 6 months or a year ?
thank you
Things are obviously much more relaxed here.
Here's part of the official New Brunswick lease.

If it's not for a fixed period, it's week to week; month to month; or year to year..
I had a dozen tenants in my time and with the other people coming to look that would make at least 40 and not one was interested in anything other than month to month. It was actually rare for anyone to even want to sign a lease. That was what they were used to.
A signed lease is a recommendation of the Province Rentalsman but not a requirement. If there's no lease, it's treated as month to month. And in my experience that's the way people like it.

My duplex was in Moncton but there were plenty of interested people moving from other parts of NB and other provinces and they seemed to be used to month to month too.

I've no doubt the agencies and/or owners of the big apartment buildings will be more strict on it but there are very many rentals in duplexes and triplexes who will be glad to have the place rented. kijiji is a good place to look for this part of Canada.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the possibility of managing a remote fishing/hunting/camping lodge?
Lots of them want live in caretakers/handymen, they pay fairly well and your food and lodging are included.

If you search for "wilderness" or "live in" on indeed.ca there are loads of opportunities. Some for a few weeks, some for a few months. We have friends who do this year round, and have regular clients, works well for them

I think you have an amazing opportunity to travel around and work in lots of different places.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Another option for accommodation could be house sitting / pet sitting.. it can range from a few days to weeks/months

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/...itters/canada/
https://www.mindmyhouse.com/owners/overview
https://www.housecarers.com/how-homeowners.cfm
Old Jun 8th 2019, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere in the last few days that Banff is suffering. There have been changes to the foreign worker rules and they have had a lot of problems recruiting hospitality staff. Google it, you might find that could be a place to start...with your smart serve...
Old Jun 8th 2019, 3:50 pm
Banned

https://proserve.aglc.ca/Index.aspx?tabid=13&sc=ASIPOL
https://www.servingitright.com/course_intro.html
https://smartserve.ca/online-training/

^ Alberta / BC / Ontario (to start you off) .. for most of the Provincial licensing for serving liqueur you can do it online before you get here
Old Jun 8th 2019, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter worked in Canada for a hotel chain. Delta hotels, the one in Kananaskis Valley (AB). They put you up in staff accommodation (shared rooms). Only a few hotels there for the ski slope and a drive to any other form of town (but many that work there have cars and will give you a ride). She loved the experience - worth a thought maybe.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

hg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I read somewhere in the last few days that Banff is suffering. There have been changes to the foreign worker rules and they have had a lot of problems recruiting hospitality staff. Google it, you might find that could be a place to start...with your smart serve...
The TFW rules did indeed get changed a few years back I think, so it's now no longer trivial to order a batch from Manila or Mangalore to do all the drudge jobs - though still possible if the company is willing to eat a year or two of being lethally understaffed to keep wages suppressed, as walking into a fast food place anywhere between Calgary and Kelowna (at least) will demonstrate :V Banff is therefore suffering (as are most resorty type places) due to pay and housing, essentially. As in, the pay for the jobs there is actually a "shortage" of (hotel housekeepers, cooks, dishwashers etc) is generally poor (hence the shortage) and housing options mostly involve either living several people to a room somewhere you're renting yourself or living several people to a room somewhere your job owns or rents for you. Well, that or living in a van - Canmore seems to be a particular hotspot for that, probably because Parks Canada chase them out of Banff, I don't think I've ever stopped at the A&W there and not noticed 3-4 minivans with curtains drawn. This naturally limits the pool of people willing to do them to wanderers like WHV kids and the desperate.

As mentioned it's nevertheless hardly the worst way to spend a summer or winter if you're young and can't think of anything else to do, there's lots of nature to get out into, you definitely can save up some money even at low pay if your job houses you and there's hordes of other entertaining young reprobates from around the world to amuse yourself with. Time to look is ideally about 2+ months ago though as it's really summer by now (recent weather notwithstanding) - though you'd have no trouble finding work finding somewhere to live would be harder than earlier in the year.