Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Newfoundland

Moving to Newfoundland

Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice
Default Moving to Newfoundland

Hi folks,

We are moving to Newfoundland in the next couple of months and wondered if anybody had any suggestions as to which areas we should look at to rent.

My husband will be working at The Tower Corporate Campus at Waterford Valley in St Johns and ideally, we wouldn't want too much of a commute. We are in our late thirties and don't have children, so schooling areas isn't an issue.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have to offer!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:40 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Newfoundland

Hi. Welcome (in advance) to The Rock.

The Tower Corporate Campus is in the west end of St. John's on Waterford Bridge Rd ( http://thetowercorporatecampus.com/contact/ ). Your decision as to where to live depends upon what you want - downtown, heritage, sub-division (housing estate), semi-rural etc. It'll also depend upon your budget and what's available. St. John's has a pretty buoyant rental market so finding decent properties to rent can be a challenge, or so I'm told.

Is this a corporate re-location? If so, then presumably a local agent might be appointed to help.

In terms of a commute, nowhere in the greater St John's area is going to an onerous commute. As an example my commute is about 13km and takes me 15-20 minutes. And that includes dropping off my daughter at daycare on the way! Traffic jams here are generally a rarity although like all cities there are choke points.

So, you could look in St. John's itself - west end and central being the closest areas. Then from East to West.....Mount Pearl, Paradise, Conception Bay South. Google maps is your friend.

Rental property can be found on www.realtor.ca Also check out www.nlclassifieds.com and kijijii http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/f-real-esta...l-W0QQCatIdZ43

If you have any questions about specific area's (or anything else), happy to help.

AX

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Sep 29th 2011 at 12:43 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

Thanks for the tips. Those websites are really useful.

I'm not sure if we will get an agent or not to help us with the move. Someone else has also suggested Conception Bay so I think we will make that our starting point, although I would also interested in St John's itself.

Once we have looked at the different options available on your suggested websites, no doubt I will be back with more questions! Thanks for being on hand!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:26 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

No problems. If I deduce correctly from your other threads, you are moving from Houston?

Conception Bay South is a town that actually is made up of a number of communities - Topsail, Chamberlains, Manuels, Long Pond, Foxtrap, Kelligrews, Upper Gullies and Seal Cove. (that's East to West). There is a large variety of housing in those areas but do be aware that a car, or cars, will be essential to get around.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Yes we are in Houston at the moment and so are used to having to drive everywhere! Nowhere is considered walking distance here!

We don't have a date yet for when the move will take place, but it is supposed to be within the next couple of months. We don't know our budget yet either, so can't really plan too much at the moment! Thanks for the info on Conception Bay. Once the wheels start turning, that will be our starting point.

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:12 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome.

If your other half is going to be working in Waterford Bridge area, you could also look at areas to the south such as Goulds, and even Bay Bulls/Witless Bay if you don't mind a bit of a drive.

Have you ever visited Newfoundland?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that if you move to CBS your kids will be for ever known as "Baymen"
Paradise used to be in Baymen territory as well but that seems to have changed lately

If you are planning on renting then you should start looking now - Desirable rentals can be hard to come by and its not going to get any better in the short or long term as the Hebron machine is already starting to roll with a lot of new people coming in through ExxonMobil .
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:22 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by nldfc
Keep in mind that if you move to CBS your kids will be for ever known as "Baymen"
Paradise used to be in Baymen territory as well but that seems to have changed lately

If you are planning on renting then you should start looking now - Desirable rentals can be hard to come by and its not going to get any better in the short or long term as the Hebron machine is already starting to roll with a lot of new people coming in through ExxonMobil .
Paradise is Bay Central. You just have to look at the number of skidoo's and quads around.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Paradise is Bay Central. You just have to look at the number of skidoo's and quads around.

While the overpass is down the normal Bayman rules dont count for us "townie" paradisers - you lot in "bay" Paradise are still Baymen
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

While the overpass is down the normal Bayman rules dont count for us "townie" paradisers - you lot in "bay" Paradise are still Baymen
A townie paridiser, is presumably one who lives in Vinylville (That godforsaken sub division behind No Frills) or one who lives in sight of the Overpass?

If I'm asked, I say I live in Topsail anyway.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Close The one across from the new school at Karwood

These rare traffic jams you speak off - I take it you havent tried to go up or down Topsail Rd in the last 5 or 6 months ?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:00 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

so, technically I'm a bayman since i'm the other side of the tch?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Close The one across from the new school at Karwood

These rare traffic jams you speak off - I take it you havent tried to go up or down Topsail Rd in the last 5 or 6 months ?
No, I head round the back through McNamara and Kenmount. Not usually a problem there.

Back on topic for the OP though....CBS essentially has one road into St. John's as does Paradise. If either of those has roadworks, accidents or sometimes just bad weather, then chaos and long jams can ensue. On those days I work from home for a while before going to the office!

As an everyday occurance, say compared to the hell of GTA commuting or even SE England, commuting in the St. John's area is a breeze by comparison.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
so, technically I'm a bayman since i'm the other side of the tch?
Technically yes I dont make the bayman rules up, I just like to make sure they are enforced
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:06 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

I better tell my boss then - we once had a customer accuse us of being racist to baymen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.