Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Glasgow, NS?

Moving to New Glasgow, NS?

Old Jul 18th 2018, 3:57 am
Just Joined

ExpatMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to New Glasgow, NS?

Thanks for the tip about the pizza...and no worry about a job since we work online!
Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:52 am
Just Joined

julescg26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ExpatMark
Thanks for the tip about the pizza...and no worry about a job since we work online!
In that case it is a beautiful part of the province. My friends parents live not far away in French River, everyone is very friendly. [Pizza - go to Acropole in Westville just outside of NG!]
Old Jul 27th 2018, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the pulp mill yet? Granted I've only driven past New Glasgow once, on our first recce trip, but the stench coming out of that place was just awful! I don't know how often it does that and I'm sure it's very weather-dependent, but I wouldn't consider living there as long as that mill was in operation. Have you looked at the Annapolis Valley area? Lots of nice towns there, you could live in Wolfville/Kentville/New Minas/Berwick and probably find somewhere in walking distance of shops (although I agree with others that walking in the winter wouldn't be much fun!)
Old Jul 27th 2018, 10:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the pulp mill yet?
That concerned me when I was investigating but I was assured it wasn't an issue.

There is a facebook page (clean up the pictou county pulp mill) on which it says "The goal of this group is to create awareness..."
One assumes creating awareness wouldn't be necessary it was a problem.

Doesn't look nice mind you.

Old Jul 29th 2018, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That concerned me when I was investigating but I was assured it wasn't an issue.

There is a facebook page (clean up the pictou county pulp mill) on which it says "The goal of this group is to create awareness..."
One assumes creating awareness wouldn't be necessary it was a problem.

Doesn't look nice mind you.
There has been quite a bit on the local news about it recently; they have had a lot of issues with disposal of their waste water. Until recently they've been pumping it all into a pond but have now been told they can't do that any more, so they've proposed building a pipeline out into the sea and pumping it out there. Understandably the locals, and the fishermen, are not very keen on that idea at all. The plant has said if they can't build the pipe then the place will close, but no one's sure if that's a genuine threat or just posturing. (It seems the original approval for the pipe was done very fast and through a route that did not require a lot of environmental checking which has raised some red flags).

Aside from all that it's the smell that is bad. I'm sure it's not always there, what with wind direction and everything, but when it is there, wow is it unpleasant :-(
Old Jul 29th 2018, 2:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Aside from all that it's the smell that is bad. I'm sure it's not always there, what with wind direction and everything, but when it is there, wow is it unpleasant :-(
Yes, I remember staying not far from Saint John, NB in 75 and there was a mill there with a bad smell that drifted our way. It looks a similar distance as that one is from NG. Looking at it on the map I'm certain someone on BE said it didn't get much beyond Trenton. It did surprise me at the time as one seems to run into the other.

I'm not unhappy I didn't have to find out.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:18 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered Truro? Its a great little town thats in the on the crossing of the 102 and the trans Canada. the beaches of the Northumberland Strait are about 40 mins away, Halifax about an hour and 15... theres a nice patio culture growing here and it has pretty much everything. I work here and really like it as a town.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 2:36 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has just come back from 3 months in New Glasgow, he's been working there in the spring and summer for the last four years and really likes it. He even suggested we move there - but when I looked it up I was horrified, I find the population of Fredericton dauntingly small, NG would drive me scatty. Over the four years he has been visiting he says he has seen the population declining rather rapidly, lots of shops are now vacant. He really likes it there - he came home with great tales about the Riverfront Jubilee that's just happened...it was evidently 'the place' to be.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 4:07 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
...I find the population of Fredericton dauntingly small, NG would drive me scatty.
Perhaps Atlantic Canada's "Big Apple" being not far would compensate.

great tales about the Riverfront Jubilee that's just happened...it was evidently 'the place' to be.
Cookie used to enjoy the dragonboat weekends.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 4:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
My husband has just come back from 3 months in New Glasgow, he's been working there in the spring and summer for the last four years and really likes it. He even suggested we move there - but when I looked it up I was horrified, I find the population of Fredericton dauntingly small, NG would drive me scatty. Over the four years he has been visiting he says he has seen the population declining rather rapidly, lots of shops are now vacant. He really likes it there - he came home with great tales about the Riverfront Jubilee that's just happened...it was evidently 'the place' to be.

The Riverfront Jubilee | A Nova Scotia Signature Event

It's this weekend according to the website, lol.
AUGUST 3/4/ 5 - 2018

It's been going for over 20 years - yet I've never heard of it before.. thanks for posting a mention (adds to bucket list)
http://newglasgowjubilee.ca/info/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 2nd 2018 at 4:19 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Wolfville is a lovely town ................ has Acadia University there, small shops on a very walk-able "downtown", some nice eateries and coffee bars (Library Pub and Merchant Wine Tavern), wineries within easy reach. In other words, what you might expect from a university town with students and staff who don't like driving everywhere. I love the houses there, many really nice, well kept older ones.

Kentville is not far away with some larger stores, and also some nice places to eat ....... Rosies for one ... and perhaps more variety in housing. There is a wonderful harvest festival decorating event in Kentville in fall ......... the Kentville Pumpkin People Festival. It's hilarious!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 9:18 pm
Oscar nominated

I listened to the music samples at the bottom. Sounds like some good stuff.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 9:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The Riverfront Jubilee A Nova Scotia Signature Event

It's this weekend according to the website, lol.
AUGUST 3/4/ 5 - 2018

It's been going for over 20 years - yet I've never heard of it before.. thanks for posting a mention (adds to bucket list)
Information | The Riverfront Jubilee
I just checked with him indoors and yes, it’s this weekend which is the reason he came home...there isn’t a hotel room to be had in the vicinity!

He also tells me the restaurants there are great...the restaurant at The Dock is in an ancient building next door to Alexander Graham Bell’s daughter’s house, is an Irish pub and does wonderful big bowls of mussels for $9.00...

We should bucket list together Siouxie?
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:11 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by scilly
Wolfville is a lovely town ................
Some nice pics on google images. Including this one.

Old Aug 2nd 2018, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd definitely recommend the Annapolis Valley (which is where we live :-) ) including Wolfville, Kentville and all the surrounding areas. We love it here. The wintery pictured is Lucketts, it's owned by Pete Luckett, originally from England. The phone booth is quite the celebrity! There are quite a few wineries around here now, the wine industry (and the beer and cider industries too) are thriving here. The area is very scenic, lots of lovely houses, farmland, pretty towns and fishing villages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.