Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Glasgow, NS?

Moving to New Glasgow, NS?

Old Jul 13th 2018, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

ExpatMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New Glasgow, NS?

We are considering moving to New Glasgow, Nova Scotia for a year, but have never been there. Obviously, we stumbled upon the "Worst Place to Live in Canada" articles, and some of the threads on here too. I saw that @cookie has moved out of town, and was one of its biggest boosters.

Are there any current residents of New Glasgow that could tell us a bit about the actual experience of living there?

We have two young kids, so I guess crime and break-ins would be our biggest fears. The strange thing is that, other than these "worst' surveys and articles, the town seems rather lovely and community-minded.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Glasgow, NS?

Hi, welcome to BE.

Just checking, but you're Canadian citizens? Or already have a visa in place that will allow you to move?
Old Jul 13th 2018, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Just checking, but you're Canadian citizens? Or already have a visa in place that will allow you to move?
Yeah, Canadian and returning. I wanted to ask here because there had been active threads here about New Glasgow, and members seemed willing to share their experiences.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 2:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatMark
Yeah, Canadian and returning. I wanted to ask here because there had been active threads here about New Glasgow, and members seemed willing to share their experiences.
Perfect.

Members are indeed more than happy to help if they can. Not sure off the top of my head if there is anybody on the forum around there, but I'm sure if there is they'll be happy to share their views.

Good luck with the move.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 6:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

HI, I really like New Glasgow. Cookie should be along soon, I have paged her :-)
Old Jul 13th 2018, 6:52 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it’s me. I’ve been located In Calgary lol.

i lived in New Glasgow for 10 years (our house just gone on the market after renting it out for 18 months).. It’s a great wee community. Filled with heritage style homes so is also pretty. Great beaches (Melmerby was my local), ferry to PEI is a 15 minute drive away. NG only has a population of under 10,000 so it used to irk everyone that it was included in the ‘worst place to live’ because that’s not true. It’s main downfall would be lack of jobs since it’s a rural town. We were always employed though. Sobeys have there corporate headquarters in Stellarton which is joined into New Glasgow. Michelin is also there. Always lots of community events. Very musically talented area.

Im currently on the train to the Stampede so can give you more info later but google these:

melmerby beach
pictou county wellness centre
aberdeen hospital
new Glasgow farmers market
new Glasgow jubilee
blinkhorn realtors
pictou County - should find lots of info on there.

any questions then ask away. 😀

Old Jul 13th 2018, 6:54 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Also low crime. People still leave their cars and homes unlocked there although I never did.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...the town seems rather lovely and community-minded.
It certainly attracted me when I was looking to move to NS. The circumstances making me look at moving to NS changed and I didn't need to go but New Glasgow was my target 100%.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
HI, I really like New Glasgow. Cookie should be along soon, I have paged her :-)
Thanks for the help. Howefamily! We are looking at places for rent all over NS, and in Halifax as well. But one of the houses we really like is in NG. I'm not sure we are going to be able to get it, but thought we'd do our homework just in case. Are you living in NG, or just know it from visiting?
Old Jul 15th 2018, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cookie
Hi, it’s me. I’ve been located In Calgary lol.

i lived in New Glasgow for 10 years (our house just gone on the market after renting it out for 18 months).. It’s a great wee community. Filled with heritage style homes so is also pretty. Great beaches (Melmerby was my local), ferry to PEI is a 15 minute drive away. NG only has a population of under 10,000 so it used to irk everyone that it was included in the ‘worst place to live’ because that’s not true. It’s main downfall would be lack of jobs since it’s a rural town. We were always employed though. Sobeys have there corporate headquarters in Stellarton which is joined into New Glasgow. Michelin is also there. Always lots of community events. Very musically talented area.

Im currently on the train to the Stampede so can give you more info later but google these:

melmerby beach
pictou county wellness centre
aberdeen hospital
new Glasgow farmers market
new Glasgow jubilee
blinkhorn realtors
pictou County - should find lots of info on there.

any questions then ask away. 😀

Hi, Cookie. Thanks so much for getting back to us. As I explained in my response to Howefamily, we are currently looking at a house in NG that's available for rent. We are trying to lock down a place before we arrive (in a couple of weeks), and we wanted to get a sense of NG as a community. Our criteria, whether for Halifax, a smaller town, or something even more remote are quite specific, so it's hard to find the right place. Although we'll have a car, because my wife doesn't drive (at least as yet) we are looking for places that are within 1-1.5 km of a grocery and drug store, so that we can walk. This isn't really the case for a lot of suburban and even urban places. Because Canadians drive more than walk, and because so many stores are on highways in bigger shopping centres, finding a walkable solution is hard. We've been looking at Chester, Guysborough, Bedford and downtown Halifax. As I said, we're not sure we are going to be able to get the place we are looking at in NG, but from a distance, it looks perfect for us. Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 2:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Cookie. Thanks so much for getting back to us. As I explained in my response to Howefamily, we are currently looking at a house in NG that's available for rent. We are trying to lock down a place before we arrive (in a couple of weeks), and we wanted to get a sense of NG as a community. Our criteria, whether for Halifax, a smaller town, or something even more remote are quite specific, so it's hard to find the right place. Although we'll have a car, because my wife doesn't drive (at least as yet) we are looking for places that are within 1-1.5 km of a grocery and drug store, so that we can walk. This isn't really the case for a lot of suburban and even urban places. Because Canadians drive more than walk, and because so many stores are on highways in bigger shopping centres, finding a walkable solution is hard. We've been looking at Chester, Guysborough, Bedford and downtown Halifax. As I said, we're not sure we are going to be able to get the place we are looking at in NG, but from a distance, it looks perfect for us. Thanks so much for your help.
I don't drive either - so I get a cab to the grocery / other stores that aren't very close by. Your wife won't be wanting to walk when it's -30c (or lower) and snowing up a blizzard, particularly with young children! Where is it you will be working? You may want to look at somewhere that is within easy commuting distance, particularly during winter. I've always found padmapper and rent faster to be useful for finding what else is in the area (for available rentals) - these links are for Halifax, but you can just change the town/city and any other filters)https://www.rentfaster.ca/ns/halifax/ https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...56559,44.64605
You might find walk score handy: https://www.walkscore.com/live-more/canada/

Hope you find something that suits ... good luck

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 15th 2018 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I don't drive either - so I get a cab to the grocery / other stores that aren't very close by. Your wife won't be wanting to walk when it's -30c (or lower) and snowing up a blizzard!
Hope you find something that suits ... good luck
Oh, great. Now that you've revealed the meteorological prognosis, maybe she'll get (ahem) cold feet.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 7:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I don't drive either - so I get a cab to the grocery / other stores that aren't very close by. Your wife won't be wanting to walk when it's -30c (or lower) and snowing up a blizzard, particularly with young children!
None of my family here drives either and that was a plus for New Glasgow. Weather and groceries are things to consider when walking.

We have a good bus service here. I don't know for New Glasgow but it's small so taxis may not be much. Most taxi rides for us here are $7 to $10 on the meter. They can add $1 for each extra passenger but they rarely do.

The bus is $2.50 per journey, (about $2 with punch passes) so when there are three of you, it's very tempting to pay an extra couple of $$ and go door to door by taxi when the weather is not good for walking to and waiting at the bus stop.

Another consideration for New Glasgow for me was getting around by bike. Distances seemed short and not too hilly.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 2:28 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help. Howefamily! We are looking at places for rent all over NS, and in Halifax as well. But one of the houses we really like is in NG. I'm not sure we are going to be able to get it, but thought we'd do our homework just in case. Are you living in NG, or just know it from visiting?
Hi, no, I just drive through it when going to the beach there. Melmerby Beach is my most favourite and worth the drive for us from Elmsdale, which is near the airport. I always like the look of NG when I am there.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

julescg26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Cookie - you forgot Pictou County Pizza! It's worth living there just for the pizza!!

I've visited NG a few times and have enjoyed my time there - the Jubilee was a lot of fun - I would research jobs though before you move, that would be my biggest worry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.